Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving in 1 year?

Options
  • 18-05-2005 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

any1 think its possible to skip fifth year nd go straight to leaving 2006? nd still get at least 400 points? challanging? or impossible nd unpractical? desparate 4 advice..... thax a mill

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭RagShagBill

A friend of mine is going to the institute next year for 6th year and they are starting the courses again, so they will cover the whole course in a year, so it's possible. But I'd say there will be an awful lot of work involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

eehh...nah.

but what do i know...i did crap in my leaving and did the full 6 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

I think it's definately possible. You could even do a bit of work over the summer. You should know yourself if you are able for it, everyone is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Errant11235

If you were allowed to do it then I couldnt see a problem. It would involve a massive amount of work though. Your talking about 4-5 hours a night for the entire year, and probably right through the summer. I wouldnt really recommend it, not that I did or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

A friend of mine from home do that at home, the exams are lot harder, more course work and so on but she manage it, she work very hard though, from school to dance for hour and the 6 hours of study a night, every night. She manage to pass though, she do ok, around b grade on your scale. Like I say she have to work very very hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

If you were allowed to do it then I couldnt see a problem. It would involve a massive amount of work though. Your talking about 4-5 hours a night for the entire year, and probably right through the summer. I wouldnt really recommend it, not that I did or anything.

I really don't think it would be that much work, for the subjects that I'm taking at the moment here is all I think I have to know (pretty much)

English - learns a GVV and Theme & Issue off by heart, learn main points for 5 poet essays, know Hamlet...and you're laughing

Maths - If you're good at it, you won't need to work much

App. Maths - Definitely a subject to consider cos a very short syllabus, cover 8 questions/topics for the exam and you're sorted.

French - ah I don't give a sh!t

Tech Dr - If you've got an eye for seeing things and visualising then you're sorted again

Physics - It's not a very short course but it's good as a subject, and if you prefer to understand things rather than learn stuff (like languages) it's worthwhile, however there is quite a bit of learning, but it's interesting.

Irish - I don't care...

So if you're doing the whole leaving cert course in a year, maybe take a glance at the syllabi to see the length of each subject, or do what I did and pick subjects that you like and find easy. Definitely possibly and you'll save a year. I'd say realistically for 400 points you could do 2-3 hrs a night and you'd be grand, assuming you are the studious type.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I have to pick up physics next year. I'm also thinking of picking up app.maths again, I've heard only good things about it. I'm not that great at maths though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

2-3 hours a night and you could easily beat 400.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

well ive had 3 years for the l.c course and im still not ready......

Funkstard wrote:
    I have to pick up physics next year. I'm also thinking of picking up app.maths again, I've heard only good things about it. I'm not that great at maths though

For app.maths I'd actually only recommend it if you either are good at maths or you like maths, there's a guy in my class you doesn't like maths (does ordinary maths) and is pretty bad at maths/app maths, he's doing ordinary level app maths too, it just seems like a pretty stupid thing to do.

• Advertisement

Well I really like maths, I just read 'Fermats Last Theorem' and it really opened my eyes to the maths world. Since then I've gotten better and better at the subject, but I'm still not 'great' at the subject if you know what I mean.

Well then I'd say you'd be fine, app maths imo is more interesting than maths because you can see the situations which helps you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well I really like maths, I just read 'Fermats Last Theorem' and it really opened my eyes to the maths world. Since then I've gotten better and better at the subject, but I'm still not 'great' at the subject if you know what I mean.

You don't need crazy-level mathematical skills for applied maths, just a firm grasp of algebra, basic calculus and some physical intuition.
    And 'Fermat's Last Theorem' is a great book. Even for the non-mathematically inclined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 CH-8000 ZURICH

you could do your leaving as an external candidate , but you have to be 17 and/or you must have sat your junior cert at least two years beforehand.

There are other conditions for science subjects: you must show you have done the practical work.
    Go to examinations.ie and then to the external candidate information section.
    http://www.examinations.ie/main.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=ec

Personally I think it would be a lot easier to do your leaving through school, 2 years is a long time but I think a person would have to be very motivated to be able to study on their own without the stucture of school.
    If your asking if you could just go straight into 6th year, I don't know :D !!! ASK one of your teachers or your principle, they'll know if (a) its allowed and (b) if your able for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

value? wrote:
    any1 think its possible to skip fifth year nd go straight to leaving 2006? nd still get at least 400 points? challanging? or impossible nd unpractical? desparate 4 advice..... thax a mill
    department regulations stipulate that you can't do the leaving in the year directly after 3rd year or the year directly after ty. but if ya needed a one year subject classical studies is your man. we've done the course twice at this stage. i know it inside out

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Art is another good subject to do in a year. Especially if you like Art. And the Art history part is pretty easy. Just learn things off etc. I changed from Chemistry to Art in sixth year as my chemistry teacher was shiite and I hadn't a clue what was going on and I also wanted to go to Art college. (my careers teacher confused me, thinking I wanted to be a nurse. Then I spent alot of 5th year in the hospital and thought no thanks!)

Apparently business is also an easy subject.

Think you're a bit mad now to be trying to fit it all in a year! You might end up burning out by the mocks. That kinda happened to me! :( ....

.....But I still got to Art college :D

I was dead set on going to art college. For various reasons I don't want to go anymore, and I want to do architecture which is still very art based.

Basically I want to be rich.

Advertisement