Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vimes is BACK!!!

• 18-05-2005 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

donotcopythisimage.jpg

Koom Valley? That was where the trolls ambushed the dwarves,
    or the dwarves ambushed the trolls. It was far away. It was a long time ago.
    But if he doesn't solve the murder of just one dwarf, Commander Sam Vimes
    of Ankh-Morpork City Watch is going to see the battle
    fought again, right outside his office.

With his beloved Watch crumbling around him and war-drums sounding,
    he must unravel every clue, outwit every assassin and brave any darkness
    to find the solution. And darkness is following him.

DUE OUT: October 1st 2005

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Q_Elexra

Can't wait for it. More city watch :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

w00t!

Hopefully Vimes doesnt get tiresome as we are seeing a lot of him lately, he was great in night watch though, heres hoping thud is as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Oh please let this be good!

"With his beloved Watch crumbling around him and war-drums sounding, he must unravel every clue, outwit every assassin and brave any darkness to find the solution. And darkness is following him. Oh...and at six o'clock every day, without fall, with no excuses, he must go home to read 'Where's My Cow?', with all the right farmyard noises, to his little boy. There are some things you have to do."

He has a kid to look after......umm I fear this may mean he will lose his edge....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Yaay! :D

/me makes clappy hands!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Excellent, great character. Funny in the NIght watch how he is coaching himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

Brilliant!!!!

Love the Watch books the best...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH.

When will the dead horse that Vimes has become stop being flogged? He's a great character and probably my overall favourite character in the Discworld, but for crying out loud....he's pushing 70, has a wife and now a kid to look after. And he's tried to retire, what, 3 times now?

And yet we're expected to believe that Vimes will still outwit and outfight assassins and warriors and so on, even if they're half his age and in better shape. I smell a writer who, for all that I've enjoyed and loved his previous works, is running out or has already run out of interesting ideas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ROFL
    omg
    i just read your post "I hope he never writes another vimes book, the man is pushing 70 and he's tried to retire 2 or 3 times already" and then I see this

and you've already posted
    hahahaha

brilliant

still, I can't wait.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

And yet we're expected to believe that Vimes will still outwit and outfight assassins and warriors and so on, even if they're half his age and in better shape.

umm...

cohen?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Mordeth wrote:
    umm...

cohen?

Yeah, but give Cohen his due - he's been a barbarian warrior his entire life. Vimes was an alcohol-soaked nobody nightwatchman until, what, his early forties? And he's always been portrayed as having a lazy approach to physical fitness (dodgy food, constant cigar abuse).

I'm not saying he'd be useless, but I do have a problem with being expected to believe that a 70 year old man, even one as grizzled as Vimes, is going to be able to easily take down someone half his age who's spent extensive time training and working out. And yet the last 3 or 4 Vimes books have featured the standard "comedy" moment of Vimes outwitting a hopeful assassin almost without thinking about it. It's just getting boring, frankly.

Edit : re the other post; yeah, saw the humour in it myself. I hadn't noticed this thread before posting in the Going Postal thread...doh. Oh well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Dunno Fysh I have trouble seeing Cohen training diligently every day. Lots of experience of not dying wasn't it? Definitely Vimes has had a good deal of that. That being said some of the new characters could perhaps do with another book. De Word maybe?

MarVeL wrote:
    Dunno Fysh I have trouble seeing Cohen training diligently every day. Lots of experience of not dying wasn't it? Definitely Vimes has had a good deal of that. That being said some of the new characters could perhaps do with another book. De Word maybe?

I still say that what we know of Vimes' background doesn't convincingly tell us how, at just about 70, he's still able to succesfully fight off people half his age in better physical form. With Cohen, well, he's had a lifetime of being a barbarian hero. Vimes was a youthful idealist with no real fighting skills to start with, then a depressed cynic who turned to alcohol, and at an age of somewhere between 40 & 50 started to turn things around (as per Guards! Guards!).

But yes, I'd quite like to see more exploration of the newer characters. Although I suspect that this is quite difficult, since they seem to be written as characters whose development arc can be gotten out of the way in one book, but who would be hard to keep interesting for two or three books...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I would very much like to see something new involving Djelibeybi. Surely now the kindom has time to spend after Pyramids, the 7,000 years of catching up would provide plenty of material for a good story?

Advertisement