Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brake disc skimming

Options
  • 18-05-2005 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭

Think I have a warped disc, someone mentioned having them skimmed might be a cheap solution rather than forking out for brand new discs....

opinions? great idea or waste of money....??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

I thought this technique made the brakes less effective as they are thinner and therefore more liable to break, especially as warped break disks are only a problem really under hard breaking, Im no expert but I wouldnt want to risk my life on saving a few yoyos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

From what i understand, they scrub almost a millimeter off the disc, and then resurface it to replace the lost material. I got a disc resurfaced at 42k miles and am now at 61k miles with no adverse effects.

edit: the reason i got them resurfaced was that the brakes started making a horrendous rhythmic squeaking that increased in frequency with car speed, whether the pedal was pressed or not. We were pretty concerned about permanent damage, so we got it towed to a garage. They said the rotor was warped, which makes sense, they resurfaced both discs and replaced the pads, which i knew were due anyway. it was like $150 for that and a drum clean & adjust (about the usefulness of which, i'm not too sure). I'd recommend it, but ask for opinions from various garages, ask what it entails, get lots of quotes, and watch them in action when you commit to one place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

If the garage is competent and "grind" them rather than "turn" them, you can get a better finish with less removed, but it would be more expensive.
    "turning" has to remove a larger depth to remove anything at all, and in many cases is done by some tht is not a professional turner eithr, so they tend to be turned out of true (like warped).
    Thinned disks will tend to re-warp as already described.

I have used aftermarket replacements to great effect. Cost the same as turning, but better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

discs are cheap, dont mess about. brembo wnsures disc runout at less than .01mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

What car are you driving? What mileage is on the discs? Who diagnosed the warped discs - what are the symptoms?

'c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

:eek: Geez with something as safety critical as brakes, I would not risk having the skimmed or whatever. I would be straight down to my local garage to have them replaced, no matter what the cost

Advertisement