Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DVD Shrink

• 19-05-2005 2:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Just was wondering.

Been using shrink for bout a year now never messed about wiht the setting son it (dont know wot most do tbh). But wot happens is that on some backups playing in my dvd (have played them in others as well just to check) in my player it sometimes jidders or stops then the movie will restart but not at the place where it stopped but say if it was paused for 10 secs it will start 10 secs later in the movie from the pause, I hope i explaind this good enough.

Anyhow looking through the backup options there a check box (unchecked) "Compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation", Now in this you get various options bascally sharp or smooth. My Question is if i choose smooth does this attempt to make the dvd play smoother or make the actual fotage smoother outlines.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭highdef

AFAIK, it makes the video play smoother, to look at that is. Great program though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Rodge

My shrink backups had the jitters for a while until I stopped using cheap DVD's and started using Verbatim DataLife Plus DVD's instead.

Another trick that works for me is when the jitters start, eject the disc, turn off your DVD player. Turn it back on and reinsert the disc, skip straight to the section that had the jitters and it should be fine.

AFAIK the reason for this happening is when you compress the DVD using shrink the index can become a little messed up when burned to lower quality media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 MBobo

Rodge wrote:
    Another trick that works for me is when the jitters start, eject the disc, turn off your DVD player. Turn it back on and reinsert the disc, skip straight to the section that had the jitters and it should be fine.

AFAIK the reason for this happening is when you compress the DVD using shrink the index can become a little messed up when burned to lower quality media.

Removing the dvd and reinserting it also works for me its just a pain in the ass.

I use good Ritec g.04 die discs these are good but i will try the smooth option and see the results i will let you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

as rodge said , use the best media and the best media is verbatim and taiyo yuden . and of course a good burner helps as well (NEC , BENQ ,PIONEER )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

also try burning the discs at a lower speed. you'll get a more accurately burned disc that is easier for your dvd player to read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

personally use TDKs, cheaper and just as good as Verbatim.
    what helps sometimes is using the Deep Scan option in Shrink improves the pic quality too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,964 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Depends on your DVD player as well some are more sensitve on the media your using, also any dust finger prints will cause the movie to jump all over the place, I've switched over to using the latest Nero Re-code and as it was developed by the Shrink folks its very easy to use.

Snake ;)

Advertisement