Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My car GATSO'd in Dublin while I was out of the country!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

prospect wrote:
    So, I drive a gold megane. I have seen a good few identical cars around.
    Why couldn't i just note their reg, have plates made up, and stick them on my car when i feel like getting down to cork a half hour quicker?

Surely, if you can prove you couldn't possibly have driven the car, you should be exempt. What is to say someone didn't do the above?

Yes that would work, one problem would be if a guard did a radio "reg check" of your adopted plate 00-D-12345 the reply from the control centre wouldn't just be "gold meagne" it would be "gold megane registered to Mr John Smith, 15 Main Street, Dublin" the guard would then ask you for your address and you wouldn't know the correct address, also if you were in an accident and someone called the guards you would have to switch the plates pronto or maybe your insurance wouldn't cover you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

vector wrote:
    Yes that would work, one problem would be if a guard did a radio "reg check" of your adopted plate 00-D-12345 the reply from the control centre wouldn't just be "gold meagne" it would be "gold megane registered to Mr John Smith, 15 Main Street, Dublin" the guard would then ask you for your address and you wouldn't know the correct address, also if you were in an accident and someone called the guards you would have to switch the plates pronto or maybe your insurance wouldn't cover you?

Hmmmm, I see your point.
    Right, If i got a small motor built into each bumper, and attached them to rotating blocks, with my reg on one side and a fake reg on the other, wired a switch to the dash.. ..... .. . .. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

prospect wrote:
    Hmmmm, I see your point.
    Right, If i got a small motor built into each bumper, and attached them to rotating blocks, with my reg on one side and a fake reg on the other, wired a switch to the dash.. ..... .. . .. :D

Yes, but

what would happen if you crashed and you car was taken for "technical examination" and gone over with a fine toothcomb, however from I can't imagine it being illegal as it seems, I mean it would certainly be illegal to display an incorrect plate, but if you displayed the correct plate and just had the otherone in an non-visible internal portion of the vehicle it would be like carrying it in the booth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

vector wrote:
    Yes, but

what would happen if you crashed and you car was taken for "technical examination" and gone over with a fine toothcomb, however from I can't imagine it being illegal as it seems, I mean it would certainly be illegal to display an incorrect plate, but if you displayed the correct plate and just had the otherone in an non-visible internal portion of the vehicle it would be like carrying it in the booth.

LOL,
    This is turning a wee bit Hypothetical!
    I meam, If this did happen, and the guard asked my name, I would have to say, Bond, James Bond....

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

prospect wrote:
    Hmmmm, I see your point.
    Has someone been watching the transporter or james bond?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

prospect wrote:
    LOL,
    This is turning a wee bit Hypothetical!
    I meam, If this did happen, and the guard asked my name, I would have to say, Bond, James Bond....
    Indeed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

Stix wrote:
    In future what you do is make a small mark on the tyres at about 7 0clock. This way if it was moved, u can tell when u get back.
    that or just note the milage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hmmmm, would the OP like to get back to us and say if he gave his brother a clip round the ear?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mike65 wrote:
    Hmmmm, would the OP like to get back to us

My thoughts exactly! Where art thou, bishopofn?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

unkel wrote:
    My thoughts exactly! Where art thou, bishopofn?

Probably locaked up for GBH on his little bro ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 bishopofn

:)

hi folks

still here, just working late eves this month ;)

thanks to all for advice/humour/theories :D

at the moment the little bro [I say little, he's 22] is the prime suspect... he's been suspiciously out of contact the last 24 hrs :p

From what I can see in the photo, yep it's black, but I can't i.d. the make or model :confused:

I think I'm going to drop into a Garda station the weekend, and have a 'hypothetical discussion' with one.

Let ye know how I get on...

- Bishop

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Seek legal advice, I may be wrong but is it not the case that if you appeal this and then go to court it is up to the Guards to prove you were driving the car and not for you to prove you were not the driver of the car.
    No. The law on motoring tends to be if you don't identify the driver two offences have been committed (1) by the driver (2) by the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Victor wrote:
    No. The law on motoring tends to be if you don't identify the driver two offences have been committed (1) by the driver (2) by the owner.
    What? That makes no sense.. what did the 2nd driver do?

What? That makes no sense.. what did the 2nd driver do?
    You mean the owner? They allowed the car be used - although claiming the car was stolen is a defence for the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Victor wrote:
    You mean the owner? They allowed the car be used - although claiming the car was stolen is a defence for the owner.
    Yeah. Exactly, he didn't allow the car to be used.

All he has to do is go down to the cop shop and show them proof he was out of the country. "And who did ye let use de carrrr?" "nobody- maybe somebody has the same plates or something- i've heard of that before...."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

when you get the summons it will contain the full photograph of the car and it is pretty easy to identify the driver from it. a practice they are going to have to give up because of infringement of privacy as blokes were getting caught with the er bit of stuff with em. nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

stratos wrote:
    when you get the summons it will contain the full photograph of the car and it is pretty easy to identify the driver from it. a practice they are going to have to give up because of infringement of privacy as blokes were getting caught with the er bit of stuff with em. nuff said.

LOL..........speakin for experience there stratos???

Stinger if ya are............livin on the streets now....in a cyber cafe....filling us all in....so we dont go and do it! :D

no comment I swear i was going to a sheep trial!

stratos wrote:
    no comment I swear i was going to a sheep trial!

Like she belived that..............its a hard life.......when you get caught like that...thinking you are the cheese with other lady! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Well bishopofn - any news?

• Advertisement

I was actually trying to make a joke that i had a sheep in the passenger seat which i was ..oh i give up !

stratos wrote:
    I was actually trying to make a joke that i had a sheep in the passenger seat which i was ..oh i give up !
    I give up too........we got a lil confused there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bishopofn

hello

great news! :)

sunday lunch... rare family gathering... post dinner conversation...

"What's going to happen with that speeding ticket?"

My response:
    "Oh, I'm going to tell the guards that the car in the photo was using false number plates. I'll see them in court. Once they blow up the photo they can easily tell it wasn't me driving."

"Oh, that can be done, can it?"

"Yeah, sure I read that married folks are getting speed camera'd out with their bit on the side and everything! Technology today... blah blah blah"

Later I was in the kitchen alone filling the dishwasher when in walks the bro all sheepish like... and OWNS UP! :p

I played the part of the concerned brother Oh yeah man you're doing the right thing, narrowly avoided a criminal investigation, at least we're keeping it in the family etc while inside I'm biting my tongue to keep the big dirty grin from breaking out :D

Seemingly the lure of being able to drive around for a couple of hours was too much for him to resist... even if it did take two trips on a bus to get here! :rolleyes:

He's 22 and on a provisional, so the penalty points may have expired by the time he passes his test and gets his own wheels. :p

Thanks to all for the advice! :D

- bishop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

So you will name him and let him take the points?

Was he insured to drive it? Could this be a lot worse for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bishopofn wrote:
    and OWNS UP! :p

Good to hear you sorted that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Rew wrote:
    Was he insured to drive it? Could this be a lot worse for him?

I'd imagine it'll depend on how far along it's gone with the guards, if he's been swearing blind to the guards that he wasnt the driver and he doesnt know who was, he can't really go back and say " oh, actually I forgot I gave my brother permission".

bishopofn wrote:
    He's 22 and on a provisional, so the penalty points may have expired by the time he passes his test and gets his own wheels.
    No, the points will apply to him, either now or when he gets the full licence.

Let it be a lesson learned. Now, was he driving on the motorway on a provisional, unaccompanied?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Indeed a stern talking to is order i would say.

Is he a boards user by any chance?

• Advertisement

Victor wrote:
    No, the points will apply to him, either now or when he gets the full licence.

All he said was the points might have expired by the time he gets his test done, he didn't say they wouldn't apply to his full licence.

Advertisement