Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Futureproof silence?

Options
  • 19-05-2005 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm getting a very specific router from jes, so I want to add a few things to make the shipping charges worthwhile, specifically a PSU, HSF and maybe case fans for silence.

PSU
    I'm looking for a PSU that will be as future proof as possible. I don't expect it to be fanless, but as quiet as possible.

HSF
    I'm using an Athlon XP 2000 at the moment, so the HSF needs to able to fit that, but I'd want it to be able to cater for newer CPUs (When I upgrade….).

Case Fans
    I'm not sure if they're necessary? Should I get one? What's the most silent one. ( I have a bog standard case!)

I may want to overclock in the future, and I’m open to the idea of waterclocking as long as I don’t have to do any case modding, and that its reliable.

Thanks,
    LK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

Seasonics are the quietest PSUs you can get, fortron and enermax are also pretty quiet.

120mm nexus fans are the quietest case fans you can get but are pricey at 20 euro each. Globe, panaflo and papst are other good quiet fans. You'll want at least one case fan acting as an exhaust for your system.

A nexus fan on a thermalright XP120 heatsink is the quietest and best air cooling solution for cpus atm. You may even be able to run the XP120 without a fan if your case airflow is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

Thanks for the reply sionnach (shouldn't you be studying???)

Jes don't have seasonics. I'm have the following choices....be quiet!, Chill Innovation, Diverse, Fortron ,GR Computer Products, LC-Power, Revoltec ,Sharkoon, Silentmaxx,Skyhawk USA,Tagan, Thermaltake, Trust , Yessico.

Also they don't have nexus, so any more ideas??

Thanks,
    LK.

If you have to get all your parts from jes get the aerocool turbine 120mm fans. They're almost as quiet as nexus fans and almost half the price.

I can't really recommend any of their PSUs, they have a pretty poor selection, just get one with one large 120mm fan on it as opposed to the dual 80mm ones and hope for the best :/ If i were you though i'd order a fortron from www.komplett.ie, shipping shouldn't be over ten euro on it.

[edit]and yes i should be studying :P how did you know? -_-[/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Tony H

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

As fitz sugested a be-quiet psu.
    I know a few people who have one and they only give it good praise.
    As for fans, if your case can take them 120mm fan would be best. I have 2 papst ones and they are very quiet at low rpm (have a fan controler) can hear a wooshing sound when the are turned up full (more than likelly cause of air flow restrictions).
    XP120 is a great heatsink but i can also recomend the XP90, smaller so more compatible than the 120 with mobo's althou i dont think they fit your cpu.
    http://www.jes-computer.de/product_info.php?pID=17398 i think thats a good cpu cooler and can be quiet to with a good fan

• Advertisement

So far...

PSU
    Netzteil be quiet! P5 420W Blackline

HSF
    Kühler Multisockel ZALMAN CNPS-7000B-Cu
    Do I need a separate fan as well??

Casefans
    This was the only 120 one I could find....
    Lüfter Revoltec Dark Blue 120x120x25

Fan controller? Should I get one? The mobo I have at the moment is an ECS K7VTA3 V6

LK

the zalman comes with a fan, get these case fans: http://www.jes-computer.de/product_info.php?pID=20455

also, get the aluminium/copper version of the zalman cooler instead of the full copper, the cooling performance is only a couple of percent less but the aluminium ones weigh a lot less and are much less likely to damage your mainboard

sionnach wrote:
    the zalman comes with a fan, get these case fans: http://www.jes-computer.de/product_info.php?pID=20455

Thanks sionnach.

P.S. I knew because of your location and, that I finished yesterday ;)

LK

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Prosta

Re Futureproof: when did PSUs go from a 20pin mobo (p1) connector to 24 pin.

My mates MSI pci-express mobo had a 24 pin connector. The Fortron only had 20. I hate stuff like that. Saw no mention anywhere till we looked in the manual.

Will have to get either an adaptor or a new PSU if he decides to use the SLI

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

nForce 4 mobo's have 24 pin cables.
    Make sure to check can your case take the extra fans

• Advertisement

yeah what case do you have atm? Make sure it can take 120mm fans before buying them. If you're lucky it'll have at least one 120mm fan mount.

sionnach wrote:
    yeah what case do you have atm? Make sure it can take 120mm fans before buying them. If you're lucky it'll have at least one 120mm fan mount.

I can use a 80to120 adapter can't I? Do I need a fan controller?

LK

yeah an 80 to 120mm fan adapter should work, as long as it fits in the case (: You can get a fan controller to undervolt your fans and slow them down, or if your motherboard supports a program called speedfan you can just install that and you can set your fans to automatically slow down to a certain % of full speed based on your system temperature.

I don't know if I should start a new thread, but I got the beQuiet PSU and a new hsf. Unfortunatly the system won't start, and I mean nothing, no beeps, no hardrives spinning up, no lights going on. Is there any steps I can take to identify the problem?

I tried the old PSU again, but still nothing!

LK

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Prosta

LeperKing wrote:
    I don't know if I should start a new thread, but I got the beQuiet PSU and a new hsf. Unfortunatly the system won't start, and I mean nothing, no beeps, no hardrives spinning up, no lights going on. Is there any steps I can take to identify the problem?

I tried the old PSU again, but still nothing!

LK

Pull out all extra hardware. See if it will power up with just the mobo and memory. If not then your mobo is fried. Dunno if pulling Bios battery will help
    If so then reconnect extras 1 ant a time and test.

Looks like the mobo is fried. Will I just get another of the same make and model off ebay, or does anyone have any recommendations?

K7VTA3s on ebay

P.S. I'm assuming that the CPU and the RAM is still ok! Is that a safe assumption?

Thanks
    LK

Advertisement