Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE announce €6.8 million operating profit

• 19-05-2005 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

smiaras wrote:

Yea but the home based programming all sucks ?! I am sure TV3 would do the same and a better job, if they had a constant supply of public funds like the RTE crooks. How ironic that RTE are to air a program created by them about ripoff ireland when RTE are doing it aswell ???? I presume they will run a slot on that ??!!!! NOT

RTE's efforts at anything are a joke, big brother on a ship with people who never sailed (maybe some did a little but not from what i heard) on one of the most dangerous seas in the world and they almost all get killed. What a bunch of dumb fcukers ! No doubt any claims by the people on it are being paid out of the licence fee dues !

RTE = Really Terrible Entertainment :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

Primetime etc are report based programming which is always a winner no matter what country etc. David McWilliams on TV3 is a winner and their other report/political based programs are as good and to the same standard. Good reporters and researchers make that happen ! If TV3 can do that with report based programming with their tiny budget compared to RTE's budgets obviously they are up to the task ! RTE keep gettin money but nothing gets any better.

I think RTE rip people off with the usual fill of crap city (fair city), constant re-runs of the same films and the such and as for naked camera, bits of it you might make a small cough like laugh at but its not going to be a long running classic, plus they rob other sketches done donkeys ago. How is it that Channel 4 make a classic of the brilliant father ted ???? Dont tell me that RTE didn't bend to political and religious influence in not making that classic truly an irish program by funding it ???!!!!! Sure didn't they cancel scratch saturday under such pressure? RTE does what its told !!!! and we pay like the bithes we are for programming that is largely below standard and rubbish. Our leading so called presenter "Pat 'the plank' Kenny is absolute rubbish and he takes home a 6 fiqure salary......... yea great value for money :rolleyes:

TV3 have pulled off much better programs in their short time than RTE have since they morphed from the steaming pile of broadcasting ****£ that they once came from.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Fudger wrote:
    Primetime etc are report based programming which is always a winner no matter what country etc. David McWilliams on TV3 is a winner and their other report/political based programs are as good and to the same standard. Good reporters and researchers make that happen ! If TV3 can do that with report based programming with their tiny budget compared to RTE's budgets obviously they are up to the task ! RTE keep gettin money but nothing gets any better.

I think RTE rip people off with the usual fill of crap city (fair city), constant re-runs of the same films and the such and as for naked camera, bits of it you might make a small cough like laugh at but its not going to be a long running classic, plus they rob other sketches done donkeys ago. How is it that Channel 4 make a classic of the brilliant father ted ???? Dont tell me that RTE didn't bend to political and religious influence in not making that classic truly an irish program by funding it ???!!!!! Sure didn't they cancel scratch saturday under such pressure? RTE does what its told !!!! and we pay like the bithes we are for programming that is largely below standard and rubbish. Our leading so called presenter "Pat 'the plank' Kenny is absolute rubbish and he takes home a 6 fiqure salary......... yea great value for money :rolleyes:

TV3 have pulled off much better programs in their short time than RTE have since they morphed from the steaming pile of broadcasting ****£ that they once came from.

TV3 dropped David McWilliams.... he's now on RTE and I hope he'll be getting a better show soon, I like the Big Bite but it's too soft-news tbh.

On topic, this is good new all around as now RTE have the chance to put money where it's needed most, they always used losses in their defence before. Also they can't ask for a licence increase for some time if they can run a large network and still make €7 million.
    Naked Camera is good, the current affairs on RTE is generally good, and there are some good documentaries (and Prime Time Investigates is always worth watching.) The idea that TV3 could do better with some money doesn't fly for me, they'd just keep putting on the sucessful ITV shows, and would maybe put a little bit more into the home made shows they have to produce, however I've heard that Claire Byrne is currently filming some documentaries for the station, which is good news, what home grown shows have TV3 made that can be deemed a success? They have to put on news and current affairs and so far the only other home grown shows have been sport based or that god-awful breakfast show.
    As far as expenditure goes, RTE have been shown to throw money around in far worse areas than wages, if they can sort some of that out things should get even better for them.

Now RTE, spend that money wisely!!! PLEASE!

jasus that shows how much i watch the dam box in the first place, didn't know David McWilliams went to RTE............. ;)

I hear where your coming from but I dunno i think i will just never hold any regard for RTE cause they where and still are spineless, TV3 being their only opposition in this country (home grown broadcaster) i am obviously going to support......... and hope they can do better in the future.

RTE is another monopoly and if anyone is going to challenge that I'm all for it. If the playing field was levelled it would be interesting to see who would do better. I would say tV3 as they are a younger more modern station and in attitude aswell. RTE is full of fat cats and billy barry kids......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

TV3 is entitled to a portion of the licence fee, not to suggest that the playing field is level, though.
    I don't think RTE are spineless, I think they're just a bit stuck in their ways and are only beginning to move out of that.
    If TV3 had more money it would become more of a tabloid station, like UTV. More gameshows, more soaps, more bubbly chat, more sport. I know there's a market there for it, but I don't want my tax dollars to pay for it. RTE are far from perfect but for what I want from a PSB, they are at least some of the way there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Well they won't have to worry about hosting the Eurovision next year! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think some of the homegrown stuff is excellent: I really enjoyed "Paths to Freedom" - very funny tongue in cheek "Mockumentary".

"Reeling in the years" is another good show - I think it is on RTE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭randombassist

Yeah, reeling in the years is home done as well. What a lot of people don't realsie is that RTE under the licensing laws has to sub-contract 1/4 of all it's programs to Irish companies. While at the outset this might seem like a good way of divinding out the money etc, in practice it leads to a situation where they have to fill their quota, hence some of the programming is not of the same standard. I'm not suggesting this is for every bad broadcast, but it does explain some of them.

I think where they really excell, and where they are needed is in news and current affairs. These are covered well from an Irish standpoint, and this is something I think we need, and one of the reasons to have a PSB. When you see how bad tv3's news is, be thankful that RTE at least do that well! (the weather guy on TV3 anyone?!)

Advertisement