Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to software monitor my BB connection

• 19-05-2005 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

I'm fed up with my BB connection.

A month or two ago, I read here that IBB [I think] use this tool to test connections and the like. What was the name of this tool. I've searched through the forum but can't find it.

Basically what I want is a utility [to run on windows] that will run pings throughout the day and save the results. I then want to be able to look at the results over a certain timeframe. Reporting of results would be great as well, so I can throw the stats back at my provider.

If it could do other stuff, all the better.

Cost of utility doesn't matter, once it's not rediculous.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭statto

I am looking for the same. I try this Dan Elwell's Broadband Speed Test link . Did not work well for me due to Norton Security.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

That's quite interesting - i was actually going to write a perl script to do just that when i used to have ripwave. It would have saved the ping results into a CSV file which you could open in excel or the like. Never had to get it finished tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Just a quick fix here. I did this when I was with Clicksilver.
    Paste the following to notepad:
    Date /t
    time /t
    ping www.jolt.co.uk
    ping www.boards.ie
    >>C:\pingstats.txt

(change the addresses and file path as you wish)
    Save as "pingstats.bat"
    Using windows scheduler, schedule the batch file to run every 15 minutes or whatever you want. The results will append to the text file. It looks a bit messy, but I then wrote a macro to take it into excel in a readable format that I could run stats on.
    I'm at work at the moment, but I might still have the macro at home. pm me if you want it and I'll mail it to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

statto wrote:
    I am looking for the same. I try this Dan Elwell's Broadband Speed Test link . Did not work well for me due to Norton Security.

Nah, I have that. It's not what I want. I want a utility that will do, say x minutes of pings every x hours for x days.

I want to see trends but I'm sick of running ping.exe [almost] every day for the past two months.

Nearly every day, I do ping traces. Not just the standard 3 or 4 pings. I do 100 - 10000 pings to a server. That shows me a real trend for the short period. I also do upload and download speed tests every day. I also download some huge files every day just the get the stats.

The utility would have to do some / most / all of this but also store the historical results and allow me to report on them.

The only reason I'm doing this is to prove to my BB provider that the problem is on their end. All the problems show issues with their backhaul. Pinging my gateway give me no packet loss and average 4ms pings

Thanks anyway.

So, anyone else out there have any ideas on what software I can download or buy to monitor the many aspects of my broadband connection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

I'm performing this very task with a nice little application called NetPing although there's probably about 3000 apps with the same name. This logs ups and downs as well as providing visual status in your system tray. You can set up pings to multiple hosts. I do have another one which pings and, upon failure, will do a traceroute to the remote host to see where it's broken. Probably better suited to pinging your device from work.

Cheers for that. This is very close to what I need.
    The only things I see missing are....

The HTML file only shows current stats, not history, as far as I know.
    There is now speed tests and history of.

Thanks anway. It gives me something to start on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

If you right-click on the system tray icon there is a menu item to 'Show log' which will tell you the up/down history.

Yeah, I did see that but it's messy. It also doesn't look like it shows the ping results in there, just status changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 enno

IrishTLR wrote:
    Basically what I want is a utility [to run on windows] that will run pings throughout the day and save the results. I then want to be able to look at the results over a certain timeframe. Reporting of results would be great as well, so I can throw the stats back at my provider.
    You might find this interesting: http://www.ripe.net/ripe/meetings/ripe-50/presentations/ripe50-plenary-wed-consumer-broadband.pdf

• Advertisement

That smokeping software looks the business. However, I don't have a linux / unix box in the office yet, just windows boxes.

Might look into it, though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Squeegee

I use it at work:
    http://www.pingplotter.com/download.html

Freeware version worth a look.

Regards,
    -Squeegee

• Registered Users Posts: 26 enno

IrishTLR wrote:
    That smokeping software looks the business. However, I don't have a linux / unix box in the office yet, just windows boxes.

Might look into it, though
    You don't have to do it yourself. The guy might be prepared to include your site in his monitoring project ...

Advertisement