Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yahoo launches Messenger with FREE VoIP chat

• 19-05-2005 2:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Bring it on - the new VoIP enabled Yahoo Messenger.
    Yahoo has launched a high-powered version of its instant messenger product that will enable people to make VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) calls. The new service will place Yahoo in direct competition with Skype, the popular UK start-up that allows PC users to make free phone calls over the internet. Yahoo's new service will include voice mail, a call-history archive and individualised ringtones.
    I wonder if AIM / MSN / ICQ will go the same route. Presumably they will.
    I also wonder will they be VoIP and interoperable i.e. free chat from Yahoo to AIM etc. or will it only be between their own clients.

causal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

causal wrote:
    Bring it on - the new VoIP enabled Yahoo Messenger.

I wonder if AIM / MSN / ICQ will go the same route. Presumably they will.
    I also wonder will they be VoIP and interoperable i.e. free chat from Yahoo to AIM etc. or will it only be between their own clients.

causal

ehhhhh bump......... they do AFAIK ? just it has not been called VOIP just Voice Chat? (stand to be corrected...........)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

I tried it yesterday but the phone calls (to land lines) only applies to the UK via BT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Fibonacci

I was using VoIP with MSN Messenger last week (as far as I know, this has been around for a long time), and I have to say the quality was pretty good. Probably as good as skype.

I guess the only advantage that skype has, is that it allows conference calling. However, MSN allows video chat (which was why i was using it).

I was initially a big skype fan, but i dunno I think the hype is wearing off a bit. The quality of pc to landline calls is not up to scratch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

From and electric news article:
    In the Wall Street Journal is a report saying web giant Yahoo is to acquire internet telephony company Dialpad Communications in a move that will allow it to offer calling between computers and standard telephones. Terms of the deal weren't disclosed. Closely held Dialpad of California has about 40 employees. The company's technology lets consumers make voice calls from their PCs that are routed over the internet to the conventional telephone network, with unlimited calls within the US and Canada currently costing USD11.99 a month.

causal

Advertisement