Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Question

Options
  • 19-05-2005 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I bought an 1999 Mitsubishi Mirage import last month which was first-time registered in this country by the garage at the start of April and which I subseqently taxed and insured.

However, it doesn't have an NCT and when I paid the tax no mention was made about it (which is apparently unusual having spoken to friends) so will I need to ring them about it, or will they just send me a letter with a test date?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Its hard to call,
    Strictly speaking, I 'think' the onus is on you.

About two years ago I was stopped by ythe guards at a Tax/Insurance checkpoint. I wasn't bothereed, and crawled up to the guard. She approachs the window and asks me to pull over to the side of the road, i was thinking WTF!

Turned out my tax was out the previous month, (we were 1 week into the new month!), so I explained, that i never recieved a renewal letter, and had no idea the tax was out. But she was having none of it and fined me anyway :( because the onus was on me, not the tax office.

So basically after all that, what I am trying to say, it is better to be safe than sorry. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Hey folks,

I bought an 1999 Mitsubishi Mirage import last month which was first-time registered in this country by the garage at the start of April and which I subseqently taxed and insured.

However, it doesn't have an NCT and when I paid the tax no mention was made about it (which is apparently unusual having spoken to friends) so will I need to ring them about it, or will they just send me a letter with a test date?

Thanks in advance :)
    It's not that unusual any more; as too many people weren't paying tax because their car was out of its NCT, the government decided they were better off getting the money, so the necessity to have an NCT when taxing the car was removed.

prospect, must have been her time of the month, most guards will give you a month's grace when your tax is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

blastman wrote:
    prospect, must have been her time of the month

I know, but I thought better of pointing that out to her !

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

As far as I know the NCT due date is the next anniversary after importation of the date of first registration in the country of origin. So, for example, if the car was originally registered in February '99 in the UK, and you imported and registered it in April 2005, the NCT would be due in February 2006.

I imported a car last year and I didn't have to do anything. The vehicle registration people passed the details on to the NCT people. Then I started getting computer-generated letters from NCTS saying "your test is overdue since _____" (date left blank!). Their computer system obviously can't cope with imported cars. I just ignored the letters until the real due date came around.
    Car failed though ;-(
    Have a look at the FAQ on ncts.ie, I think the rules are explained there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I can't see any point in getting it done as the law don't care if you don't have one. There is no derternt factor at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Im just after reading a message from a friend in a similar thread on another forum. His car was written off recently when a punto slammed into it.
    Anyway apparently his insurance company deducted 12% from the value of the car as he had no NCT!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

prospect wrote:
    and had no idea the tax was out. But she was having none of it and fined me anyway :( because the onus was on me, not the tax office.
    Did the disk not have the date on it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

The Lemlins can issue NCTs if you are nice to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭damo605

Bond-007 wrote:
    I can't see any point in getting it done as the law don't care if you don't have one. There is no derternt factor at all.
    Sometimes the law do care about the NCT - The shades had a right go at me one time a few years back at a check point about having no NCT (Just got the car and the windscreen looked like a sheet of ice that had been left in the Sahara sun too long) but I was in a funny mood and wrecked his head so much with bull that he just told me to drive on (I think he really meant F*ck off, I just don't want the hassle)....
    If you read you insurance policy I bet there's something in there about the car having to be road-worthy, i.e. they can kick up a stick if you've a bald tyre at the time of an accident - so image if you had no NCT.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Usually if people do get done for no tax, insurance or whatever, they'll throw the "no NCT" offence in for good measure. Read all the "Driver fined for no tax" 'articles' in local newspapers, and you'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

car is excluded from nct test for 1 year (due next anniversary of first registration) and you get 2 years nct from this day

Advertisement