Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV licence problem - unbelievable...

Options
  • 19-05-2005 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭

I suppose this falls into the legal matters/taxation category - mods please move if it doesnt belong here.

I just received a TV licence renewal notice - my licence expires in two weeks.

As you know, these are issued on an annual basis with the option of paying in full or on a monthly (direct debit) basis. The thing is, you can only pay for the full year.

In 2 or 3 months i might be moving back with the GF to her parents' house (ouch) to try and save some money for a deposit.

The TV licence records office tells me that i cannot pay for just the 2 or 3 months that i have left in my current place. I have to pay for the entire year - and the licence in her parents' house is obviously already taken care of.

I had a 20 minute discussion with the administration office and they tell me that the only option i have is to write to the Ombudsman, if i feel i'm being unjustly treated.

It's not that i feel "unjustly treated" (yet), i'm just saying that this law was written by cretins if they dont have a provision whereby you can pay your licence on a monthly, bi-monthly, six-monthly or whatever other flexi basis.
    They tell me the law is the law and i tell them i'm not paying the full year for just two months or so - end of.

I can't imagine being the only person who's in this situation. Surely they've been approached by others who shouldn't need to pay the full licence because they're moving house, leaving the country etc...

I'm will not pay the full year's amount for the little time i've left in my place.
    What to do? Write to the ombudsman and keep a copy to show to the inspector, when and if s/he shows up at my doorstep and then try to reason with them? Delete this account now and just act dumb for the next two months?

Yes i know how strict they are with the TV licences here, but i really feel that this "law" should have some flexible provisions.

Any suggestions/ideas appreciated....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Yea its a joke...

they let you transfer it to your new address if you move... but of course if you are moving in with your G/F she probably already has one...

You can either chance it... :)
    Or get rid of your Telly for a couple of months...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

send the telly to the in laws by registered post :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

bring your tv directly to anpost HQ & demand to see G Wall (he who issues the snide reminder letters) in person when he arrives at reception identify yourself by showing him the remider letter & leave the TV with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

they let you transfer it to your new address if you move

Yeah, and i've done that twice now. But i'm not going to transfer it since they (parents) already have a licence...

I guess i'll fire off a complaint and see what happens.

(LMAO @ your sig, Kingsize).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

hide the TV in a upstairs bedroom and always have it locked, dont answer the door to anyone

• Advertisement

Then what - drop it on the inspector from the upstairs window?

Seriously guys.........what options do i have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

Ancient1 wrote:

good idea :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

The legal process takes way way longer than 3 months.

Well i'd really like to avoid all that hassle.

So what happened? What was involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Ancient1 wrote:

don't pay...

i have been checked once in the last 5 years.... and I live in the centre of waterford city...

the worst they will do for a first ofence is tell you go get one asap....

• Advertisement

True....

First offence! ha! They put me in this situation in the first place :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

I'm in the same boat. Dont think they will bother or can touch you if its only 3 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Citizen Jake

Don't pay it if you're moving out within 2 to 3 months. In fact, I don't see what you're worried about. By the time they send you letters and an inspector you'll have moved out anyway and it will be up to the new resident of the house/flat to have their own TV license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

couldn't you just pay for the year and sell it to the new tenants?

it doesn't really matter who's name is on it, as its tied to an address, which you can also have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

My TV licence was due for renewal in October 2003. I was leaving the country in January 2004 for a year, so I didn't pay. I did get a reminder in early December, but I again ignored it.

Finally in January, when my post was forwarded to me, there was a final warning. I rang the incredibly nice people up and told them I was out of the country. Without any hesitation, he said that was no problem. I have since returned and purchased the licence.

My point is, you could ignore them. I'd guess it would be 4-6 months before they actually do anything.

Cheers for the advice.

I guess you guys are right - it's not like i would be committing a serious crime or anything. It would be far more unjust if they made me pay the full yearly price for 2 months, instead of me "skipping" 2 months (because they are not flexible, not because i dont want to).

We all pay the bloody thing every year anyways, and it just keeps going up in price as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Why not just dump the tv?
    Its no great benefit anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

How about you pay it then cancel the direct debit or whatever after 3 months ?

Dumping the damn thing is a good idea too :)

Setting up and cancelling a direct debit is of course an option, but why should i go through all the hassle and extra work just because the law doesn't provide other options. Meh....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

I got rid of my TV last June and they've been sending me reminder letters ever since. It was It was about 3 months before I got the TV licence Inspector letter and about 6 months before one called (I'd popped out to the shops for about 30 mins and there was a note in my letterbox). If I was you I wouldn't stress about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

shoegirl wrote:
    Why not just dump the tv?
    Its no great benefit anyway.
    Damn right. I'm not moving out of here for at least another year, but I'm seriously considering doing that rather than renewing my license. There's nothing good on.

If I was solo i'd do that and just watch DVDs on the PC....but it's not my call ;)

I find it strange how they're so strict with the TV licence here. When i lived in Germany i used to get requests for licence payment for my TV and even radio, but these are ignored by 99.99% of the population. It's just not paid, it's not a done thing.

A case in point is that jerk Mohamed Atta, one of the hijackers on September 11th who belonged to the cell in Hamburg. Authorities were able to trace and identify him because, in his efforts to dispel all suspicion and his wish to blend into the German crowd and be seen as a law-abiding citizen, he paid his TV licence.
    Atta was registered as a student in Hamburg, but what he didn't know is that no student has ever paid such a licence. The intelligence service had this checked out and it helped them single him out and identify him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

the problem for Ancient1 is that they have his name, its not the same if they are chasing "the occupier" at your address.What you can do is wait for the next warning dont open it & return it unopened with" not known at this address" written on the envelope.even if they have yr name its still a long process .a mate of mine was taken to court over this a few years ago & he ignored all the warnings & turned up in court with a brand new TV licence & no hassles,but there were a couple of people in the court pleading that they couldnt afford it & they judge let them off on the condition that they make an effort / start buying licence stamps etc

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Um, how are they going to handle the situation in a few years when mobile phones will have TV receivers ? An impossible situation to license I'd guess :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Um, how are they going to handle the situation in a few years when mobile phones will have TV receivers ? An impossible situation to license I'd guess :-)

he is the madness of the law in Ireland.. if you buy a TV and put in the back of car to drive it home , you need a TV Licence for the car while driving it home , or you could be brough to court....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ekelly

I was under the impression that you only needed a TV license if you were receiving any channels. I have a TV/DVD combo, soley for watching DVD or playing playstation and believed I didn't need one for this. Is this right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Ancient1 wrote:
    Any suggestions/ideas appreciated....
    Ignore the demand. As has been said they'll simply send you demands for months and then, maybe then send an inspector. At which point you ask to see his/her warrant (which he/she won't have) - if they don’t have one they cannot enter (of course, if they can see / hear your TV from the door you’re screwed). By the time the inspector returns with a warrant and a Garda, you'll have bought your licence.

All this assumes that they will pursue it to that degree, which is questionable.
    jhegarty wrote:
    i have been checked once in the last 5 years.... and I live in the centre of waterford city...
    If they have your name they’ll come looking for you. NTL routinely passes on the details of those who subscribe with them and in Dublin that is the most common way of appearing on their radar.

As for the myth of detection vans... :rolleyes:
    the worst they will do for a first ofence is tell you go get one asap....
    Not necessarily. They’ve been known to make examples of people whenever they’re looking to get a bit of scary PR. I would not rely upon the mercy of the court by any means.
    jhegarty wrote:
    he is the madness of the law in Ireland.. if you buy a TV and put in the back of car to drive it home , you need a TV Licence for the car while driving it home , or you could be brough to court....
    Bare in mind that if you have a TV card in your PC you’re liable for a licence. If you have a hi-fi or any radio (however small) you’re still liable for a radio licence even if you don’t have a TV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you have a hi-fi or any radio (however small) you’re still liable for a radio licence
    Not anymore.

Advertisement