Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Iridium Spark Plugs

Options
  • 19-05-2005 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭

Are these any better than standard platinum tipped ones? I'm looking at getting them for a 1.4 Civic but I'm trying to decide if they're worth the expense ($7.95 vs $2.95 each from an American website who ship to ie) - they're claimed to improve power and responsiveness slightly, but I'd wonder.

Would appreciate some help from anyone who has experience of this type of plug....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ferror

They are mainly used in helicoper spark plugs as they:
    "require less voltage to spark, burns fuel more efficiently, sparks at leaner air/fuel mixtures, and delivers higher horsepower and better gas mileage."

Possibly overkill but should reduce the load on the ignition system, oh and isn't iridium radioactive? They use it in cancer treatment!

Anyway here's the link...

link to ngk site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Saturnine

Will make **** all difference to your engine .You might get 1 bhp more higher up the rev range not worth the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

might be worth the experiment, for experimentations sake, but probably not delivery any significant improvement overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 J.Daniels

I've heard nasty stories about the tips breaking off and damaging pistons, thread carefully.. do some research on american forums etc. firstly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Use em all the time in my Bike, they are OK make no difference to it compared to the Platinum plugs.
    Don't really think that you will notice any difference.
    NGK plugs are really good, forget anything else, and no, bits of plug will not drop off and wreck your engine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Ferror wrote:
    They are mainly used in helicoper spark plugs as they:

Possibly overkill but should reduce the load on the ignition system, oh and isn't iridium radioactive? They use it in cancer treatment!

The low voltage sparkover would be of benifit in a direct Injection gas engine, where lean (and difficult to ignite) mixtures are possible.

there is a possible downside to low voltage sparks, it could cause unwanted sparks on the coil charge 1/2 cycle, which in turn would cause a whole host of ignition & running problems. So I might recommend they NOT be used on conventional ignitions.

btw, any of you got a car with dual plug coils, ie where one coil feeds two plugs in 2 opposing cylinders, one on teh +tail and the other on the -tail of the coil secondary windings, so they fire x2 per cycle?. (Not an option on 1/3/5/7/9 cylinder engines)
    If so, what plugs do you use and what is the mileage expectation/recommendation.

Advertisement