Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology....

Options
  • 19-05-2005 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭

just looking for an opionion on this.... do u think it will be harder or easier than last year??? 3 out of 5 ppl failed last year and anyone i've talked to in my year literally cannnot do the 2004 paper!?! and our mock was really simple!! bad choice!! lol

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

With each passing year the tests tend to get easier as all parties, students and teacher get used to the new system. I suspect that your fears are a bit misplaced, just think positive and do your best in the exam.

Worrying, for the sake that worrying will make you study worse is the bigest problem you have. If you get me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

i think the problem last year was the layout and section b is often a bit tricky. i was just doing section a and b 's from the folens papers, anyone else find them way way too easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Camogie Playa

Has anyone any predictions to what may appear in June?
    Our section a's aren't too bad, we're using the edco papers. The sample papers arent really good examples to go by because they are written by publishers who have no real idea as to what is on the syllabus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

I started with the edco papers and they were challenging enough, then I went on to folens and found them a lot easier. Hopefully people realise the edco papers exist and arent relying on folens because they seem misleading in comparison to the 04 and government sample paper.

Said this before i know, but not much of the new material came up last year (if any) so i think you should cover the new experiments. (IAA, DNA, enzyme immobilisation...cant think of the other one/s)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Camogie Playa

ya id say the dna exp is a dead cert.its so hard to predict for biology, they could put anything up unfortunately. If only we had someone on the inside!!
    grinds people are often handy in these situations because they an awful good knack of "predicting" the paper!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭deek

Id say respiration is a pretty good bet this year seeing as photosynthesis came up last year,breathing bacteria evolution(i think) and senses didnt come up either so id know them pretty well. I know its hard to predict since we only have one paper to go on but theyll want to get as much variety as possible in the papers for L.cert 2006 people so that they have more to go on and tbh id say the paper will be pretty sweet since they got so much slack for last years being too hard.......hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

I like your theory Deek :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

deek wrote:
    Id say respiration is a pretty good bet this year seeing as photosynthesis came up last year,breathing bacteria evolution(i think) and senses didnt come up either so id know them pretty well. I know its hard to predict since we only have one paper to go on but theyll want to get as much variety as possible in the papers for L.cert 2006 people so that they have more to go on and tbh id say the paper will be pretty sweet since they got so much slack for last years being too hard.......hopefully
    Last year's paper..hard? Last year's paper was an absolute piece of piss. It was a joke compared to the old course. If the LC biology exam gets any easier, it won't be worth anything anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭deek

I said they got slack for it being hard, I never said I thought it was hard they were constantly on the radio about it after.
    Biology is my best subject and I actually I think it was a really nice paper too but loads of people seem to have had problems with it.If they do make it a bit easier this year itll just be fun to do for me :D

P.s I know there was more plant bio on the old course but we have far more genetics so it kinda balances no????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

deek wrote:
    I said they got slack for it being hard, I never said I thought it was hard they were constantly on the radio about it after.
    Biology is my best subject and I actually I think it was a really nice paper too but loads of people seem to have had problems with it.If they do make it a bit easier this year itll just be fun to do for me :D

P.s I know there was more plant bio on the old course but we have far more genetics so it kinda balances no????
    Not really..the genetics you're doing (and I did) is more general knowledge than science, apart from learning about transcription/translation in interphase. The plant bio on the old course was a lot more specific, involved a lot more diagrams, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

God, how I hate plants :mad:

(just thought I'd add my 2 cents..)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Orange

last year's paper was not hard at all!!

bio is one of the easier subjects.........

Orange wrote:
    last year's paper was not hard at all!!

bio is one of the easier subjects.........

not for everybody..... :( (dont look down on me cos i hate sciency stuff!!)

Eh, not when you have a teacher that is still stuck on the old course and who crammed about 10 chapters into the last month (yes it's true.... :eek: )

i would donate all my knowledge of biology to you but it wouldnt be any help-just hoping to pass! instead, heres my sympathy :)

*takes sympathy and relishs it* *hugs* aw well thanks, but I'm hoping for a A in biology (well kinda NEED!)....I'm getting through the course by myself though...slowly...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

anyone know any site with notes or whatever that explains respiration in clear plain english. my bio book - biology today - is the biggest uninformative piece of crap ever.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Eh, not when you have a teacher that is still stuck on the old course and who crammed about 10 chapters into the last month (yes it's true.... :eek: )

Know the feeling! We did all the stuff with nerves, muscles, skeleton, osmoregulation and hormones in the last couple of weeks, it was ridiculous!

Advertisement