Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geog/History???

Options
  • 19-05-2005 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

with current 5th years doing new courses in both these subjects, 6th yr students are starting to think this year's leaving cert exam(as in like 3 weeks now, well less..) will be harder than usual.... after all they do need a reason for a new course............. lol

Comments

especially since we only just got the Geography syllabus last week! And there's no word of when a mock paper will be out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Da_IRISH_ONE4U

with current 5th years doing new courses in both these subjects, 6th yr students are starting to think this year's leaving cert exam(as in like 3 weeks now, well less..) will be harder than usual.... after all they do need a reason for a new course............. lol

Actually, i dont think this is true. Our geography teacher has told us that because it's the last year and all, the paper should be pretty easy (they dont want to create a stir/fuss)! I was at a geography seminar in Ballina there lately and they said the exact same thing. I dont actually do History so i cant comment there.

How are you fixed with the geography? I got 35% in my mock but am praying i do ALOT better this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

^Take off the bold font.

I think they might go easy on us. Generally, questions have been getting easier over the years and I reckon if thery are really nice (in History) they might just stick all the reliables on the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

^Take off the bold font.

I think they might go easy on us. Generally, questions have been getting easier over the years and I reckon if thery are really nice (in History) they might just stick all the reliables on the paper.

I'm bricking myself about history, I'm good at it, I have no idea why, in the last summer test I did before I left school (moved to Cavan did it from home, hated it there moved to Dunshaughlin blah blah blah) I got 91%. I also got a B in the junior but I have a feeling of woe about this because I didn't do a special topic and I have a fear of not being able to recall anything on the day.

I didn't know they were bringing in a new course, hopefully they will be easy on us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

no special topic? ur not giving yourself a chance. its a B at least guaranteed for the essay and will help u recall the rest of your stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

How much does the special topic account for? I'd imagine of all the things to leave out, that would be the worst.

I'm studying the new course aswell as Geography, and my Geog teacher was saying today we would be finished the old course by now, but with the new one we won't be done until after Christmas. Eg. we've studied 5 regions, afaik the current course you only need to know 2.

For history, there's just so much to get covered that my teacher is rushing through it and we aren't learning anything properly. I'm leaving out chunks of it to study for summer because it's too ****ing boring. Anything pre WWIIis (except Easter 1916, which is barely touched on) is mindless bollocks of dates and acts. America & Modern world is what I'll know because I know most of already. That & WWII are the reasons I did history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭cessy

i heard the geog paper willl be easy enuf for this year not only do they not want to make a fuss boot it but they will be focused on the content of the new course like seriously if u were the people in the department who had to set a new course and paper for it do u really think ud be focusing too much on the same ol same ol geog paper they have been doing for years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

GDM wrote:
    I'm bricking myself about history, I'm good at it, I have no idea why, in the last summer test I did before I left school (moved to Cavan did it from home, hated it there moved to Dunshaughlin blah blah blah) I got 91%. I also got a B in the junior but I have a feeling of woe about this because I didn't do a special topic and I have a fear of not being able to recall anything on the day.

I didn't know they were bringing in a new course, hopefully they will be easy on us.

Why on earth didn't you do a special topic? I'd even give you mine if I could dig it out, that's how important I think it is that every history student does one...it's a gauranteed good mark for 1/6 of a really tough paper, you'd be mad to throw it away. I have a thread on this forum with history tips, it's on page 3 or 4 now I think.

DO A SPECIAL TOPIC, AAHHH.

Vainglory wrote:
    Why on earth didn't you do a special topic? I'd even give you mine if I could dig it out, that's how important I think it is that every history student does one...it's a gauranteed good mark for 1/6 of a really tough paper, you'd be mad to throw it away. I have a thread on this forum with history tips, it's on page 3 or 4 now I think.

DO A SPECIAL TOPIC, AAHHH.

I just haven't had the time, I left school after fifth year in 2003, moved to Cavan and tried doing the last year of the LC from home, 2004 was a horrible year for me family wise, we moved house three times and I didn't end up doing the leaving, I had to be persuaded to do the leaving this year and I have no idea how to prepare a special topic, also since I'm doing it by myself I wouldn't have anyone to tell me if it was crap.

If you feel like giving me a special topic feel free :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

GDM wrote:
    I just haven't had the time, I left school after fifth year in 2003, moved to Cavan and tried doing the last year of the LC from home, 2004 was a horrible year for me family wise, we moved house three times and I didn't end up doing the leaving, I had to be persuaded to do the leaving this year and I have no idea how to prepare a special topic, also since I'm doing it by myself I wouldn't have anyone to tell me if it was crap.

If you feel like giving me a special topic feel free :)

If I bothered typing it out for you would you actually learn it?

• Advertisement

Vainglory wrote:
    If I bothered typing it out for you would you actually learn it?

If I could remember it, one of the reasons I didn't do it when I was in school is because my memory is horrible and I have trouble rememering things like dates and lines so I thought I would try and understand the course rather than worrying about trying to remember every little bit of my special topic.

Advertisement