Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Locking wheel nuts - help needed!!

Options
  • 19-05-2005 8:04pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I have a set of alloys on my car with locking nuts to keep them safe.
    Now today i got me a flat wheel, went to change it and found to my amazement that my 'key' for the locking nuts was gone!! :(
    not a clue where it could be :(

Just wanna know what my options are?
    I know i could drill them, but that takes time ( a whole lot)

Would there be any way to get my hands on a 'key' for them?

Cheers

Mik

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

Your local tyre centre might have a "master" key for your particular brand of lock nut. I think for any particular brand there are only something like 5 or so different configurations of key.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I called my locak Quik Fit,
    they said prob have to drill them,
    but if i got the car up there they would have a look @ it
    Kinda difficult with a Flat!!.

But cheers for the info abt the master key
    might be worth ringing around

Mik

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

One word "Ebay" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If they are aftermarket locking nuts, go back to the place you bought them, they may have a serial number for them which they may be able to get a new key from the manufacturer.

If they are original locking nuts from the car maker then contact your local dealer who maybe able to trace a key for them from the car maker.

Think i'll give them a bell tmrw all right,
    but just found 2 other ideas,

1. gator grip - that multi socket tool thingy, not sure if it'll work some peops says it will, just have to get my hands on one

2. Special socket with reverse threads to remove locking nut - can be ordered from UK but would be handy if i found someone around dublin with one.

... note to self - should have kept the key safe!!!

Mik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just be extra careful you don't inadvertently damage the threads on the wheel hubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Heard of a guy in a Porsche who had the same problem.
    He was sent to the dealer who sorted him out quick smart, so if they are the car manufacturers alloys, that should be your answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Had the same problem with last car....lost the "key" but luckly wasnt a flat when I noticed.....where nissan alloys so went to dealer.....5 mins later and lock nuts where off....gave the young fellow a few quid for doing it but the dealer cost nothing.....just bought normal ones then.....dont need a lock nut anymore....who would be bothered to rob alloys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Big Nelly wrote:
    ....who would be bothered to rob alloys!!
    You'd be surprised!..especially with the amount of expensive alloys and chromes rolling around these days....it's only a matter of time before the scum begin to organise alloy theft in a big way :)

DC.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

pauln wrote:
    Your local tyre centre might have a "master" key for your particular brand of lock nut. I think for any particular brand there are only something like 5 or so different configurations of key.
    I fupping hope that the 'experts' in kwik fit don't have access to a master key! As for the configurations, I have two sets of locknuts on my wheels (1 * BMW & 1 recommended in Auto Express). With each set there are apparently thousands of configurations.
    dcGT wrote:
    You'd be surprised!..especially with the amount of expensive alloys and chromes rolling around these days....it's only a matter of time before the scum begin to organise alloy theft in a big way :)
    It is a huge problem in Britain and is increasing here.
    I recently saw a picture of someones bootlid which had been cut open like a tin of beans so that the thief could get the locknut out. Thankfully they were disturbed by the owners neighbour.

As I mentioned, I have two sets of locknuts on my wheels. I bought the 2nd set because one wheel hadn't a locknut. Given that a new set of the wheels would cost me possibly €1500 (conservative estimate!), Im not going to risk losing them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

dcGT wrote:

DC.

used to be a few years ago where you couldnt keep an alloy on your car in Dublin(us people down the country couldnt put alloys on the Massey).....has kind of gone away these days....havent heard of anyone having there alloys robbed in ages....alot of people with the really expensive ones will have lock nuts so people dont bother even looking!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

My Dad had the same problem with his Ford, although he was lucky enough to find out when he went to take off the wheels to clean em.
    Well anyway Ford said they coudn't get a replacement key/master & all the nuts had to be drilled off.
    I bought a nice set of McGards from Halfords for my car which come with a serial number & you can get replacements for a few quid

after much thinking i remembered where the 'key' was used last,
    @ a garage when i was getting the brakes fixed about 2 months ago, decided to give them a quick bell in desperate hope of getting a result.
    the guy i got chattin to didn't rememmber but said he'll have a quick look
    and ring back.

I got a call in 1/2 hr from the guy who serviced the car to say he found it!!
    turns out i had gone from the garage and when they were cleaning/leaving he found it, made a mental note to call me the next day but forgot!!

Think the few prayers i said did the trick!!

but from now on - I will be sure to check i didn't leave it behind again!!

oh yea, about the 'master' key idea to the best of my knowledge and a fair few mechaincs i was chattin to they do not exist, only thing comes close are those reverse thread sockets - which can work

Cheers

Mik

Advertisement