Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

importing from the states

• 19-05-2005 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all

newbie here so apologies first if the following questions have been covered recently (though I couldn't find anything after pouring through recent threads)

I've got it into my head to buy a late 60's Porsche 912 and am doing the figures on importing one from the USA. For info purposes I got a quote on having one shipped from LA and for some reason it costs more than double for shipping to Dublin than to Thamesport! Can anyone explain this to me? Is there any reason why I should not ship to there and drive the car back?

I'd be interested in talking to anyone who's been through the process of shipping a car from the states and what/what not to do.

Great forum btw...I've been lurking here for a while. I haven't had a classic for some time (past owner of an MGB GT and a Stag) but a Porsche will be arriving on my driveway sometime this year!

Regards

Sean

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Apparently the thing to do is import to the UK using their SORN (historic vehicle) ruling to avoid tax. Then import to Irl from the UK as it's the importing from EU and 0%vrt/import duty appplies.
    I'm just repeating what I've read elsewhere I'd do a lot of research on it if I was you as I hear the UK have tightened up the SORN classification. American car clubs over here will be able to tell you more I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭sentenel

Hi Sean,
    I have imported a few cars from the states so hope i can help.
    The ruling Shagman is talking about is called the BTI ruling and British Customs have tightened up their conditions on this so your car would have to be extreamly rare ie 1 of only 5 made, or have historic value ie Elvis's car. ;) so you'll have to pay duty on importing the car but if the car is over 30yrs old you'll only pay 50 euro VRT. It's expensive getting the car shipped over from England but we have a guy who brings over cars for a lot of guys in our American Club from England and he is cheapish approx 400 /500 euro :eek: .
    I've used two main companies to ship from the states Rybec shipping TEL: 00441795876000 and Kingston Shipping TEL : 00441482374116. Both were very helpful.
    hope this helps
    cheers
    joe

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Howya Sean,

Just brought a car in from Canada. Not sure about the other guys but I got burned for VAT @ 21% after bringing the car straight into Dublin from Montreal. That is because the car is coming from outside the EU.

Maybe there's some way around the VAT by bringing the car to the UK, but that wouldn't make sense to me as their VAT laws are the same as ours. I'd be interested to hear what sentinal's experiences were???

VRT was €50 as promised, and Customs & Excise was 1 or 2%.

ALSO I had a lot of "handling" fees to pay on top of my initial shipping quote, so if you get a decent quote ask what extras you can expect to have to pay.

My car (and esp. the declared value ;)) were cheap so tax was minimal, but with a car worth maybe $12-15K you're talking bigger money.

CHEERS!

Hi Sean / Atheist
    You'll always get caught for VAT unless your registered for Vat, at the first port of entry, ie england /ireland once its coming from outside Europe but you only pay this once. You'll have to pay vat /duty on the cost of the car , on the shipping price and on any insurance you have on it as well. 30 yrs old cars pay only 50 euros VRT as well as some Crewcabs.
    I agree with Atheist make sure your declared value is low and get an invoice for this price ;)
    cheers
    joe

sentenel wrote:
    I agree with Atheist make sure your declared value is low and get an invoice for this price ;)
    Exactly - because unlike, say, VRT on non-classics, you make the declaration as to the value of the car for VAT. A few kind words or a few extra quid to the vendor and the invoice he gives the shippers might save you €€€...

Immoral? Not when as sentinel mentioned the thieving gypsys are calculating VAT on the value of the car plus the shipping costs.
    I have no problems sleeping at night!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sgp64

Cheers all...thanks for the info

I got a quote from Neptune International to ship from L.A. as I suspect that it'll be a west coast car i'll eventually purchase......$2100 dollars ship to Dublin :eek: but only $895 to ship to Thamesport which seems very reasonable to me (I'll try those 2 firms you mentioned as well Athiest) I intend to buy one in good nick and thought I might drive it back...would this be a problem? Or am I mad?

And this vague term "handling" fees keeps cropping up...are we talking hundreds?

Good old VAT eh :mad: but thanks for the advice on declared value...will keep that in mind ;)

once again, thanks for taking the time to answer my queries...much appreciated :)

sgp64 wrote:
    I intend to buy one in good nick and thought I might drive it back...would this be a problem? Or am I mad?
    That depends on the car! If you mean driving accross England in it you want to be sure the car has been used recently, rather than a good car that has been laid up and needs a tune. Ask the buyer for a no-guarantee answer as to whether the car would be up to it.
    sgp64 wrote:
    And this vague term "handling" fees keeps cropping up...are we talking hundreds?
    Yep.

After I paid my shipping fees - I got for 700 odd quid for "container stripping", "liner agency" and such random stuff. I suspect the shippers won't be able to give you an estimate as they are all seperate entities. Just budget some extra I guess.
    sgp64 wrote:
    I'll try those 2 firms you mentioned as well Athiest
    That was sentenel ;)

Sorry sentenel...thx for that. It's all quite complicated but I was expecting that and think it's gonna be good fun nevertheless. I'll keep y'all posted on any progress.

BTW Atheist...what did you bring in from Montreal? Any pics?

sgp64 wrote:
    BTW Atheist...what did you bring in from Montreal? Any pics?
    Thought you'd never ask. ;)
    Actually just took these pics over the weekend.

Still trying to work on the paintwork between the damn rainshowers...
    Fitted the new steering wheel on Friday.

I also wanted to get 912 or a 911 originally. The prices went through the roof before my "window of opportunity" opened though.

G'luck with your search, let us know if you spot anything.

Always liked the Spyder ;)

yeh....912 prices on the up but still a lot of car for your money if you shop around.

Am currently in contact with a guy in Sacramento Ca. (912 club member and enthusiaist) selling a 1967 912, 8000km on rebuilt engine (also rebored and cammed) loads of other work done (new shocks, brakes etc) small amount superficial rust, interior good apart from headlining and horrible seats (from a Prelude!!) orig seats available but require resto. $8500 asking but am negotiating as we speak. Will post some pics if I buy the thing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

This arrived in dublin over the weekend.

we're going to collect it on friday so all shall be revealed then.

VRT is €50 cos it's a pickup, 1985 so not vintage
    Customs we think is ten percent, but nigh on impossible to get a straight answer on this
    Vat is 21%

if you ship to the UK and drive it home I think you'd need an address in the UK. you'll have to pay customs and vat over there too, and you'd surely need to have it registered before you could insure it.

895 sounds very very cheap to me from west coast usa to europe

Hi Johnboy,
    You can insure it on the VIN number and the American plates I did this on my Dodge ram and my Mustang when they came in from the states and before they were registered.
    Nice looking pickup Chevy C10 Scottsdale ?
    cheers
    joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Hi Joe, yeah it's a c10 scottsdale

FBD are the insurers and they need some plates, but there aren't any plates on it I don't think. we test drove it on some sort of garage plates I think which were attached for the test drive and removed afterwards.

It's coming home on monday now it seems, being brought on a trailer anyway just in case.

are you one of the organisers of macc? if so you met the owner, thomas, he joined the week before we went to the states to buy it back in feburary

Advertisement