Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cole might leave Arsenal

• 19-05-2005 8:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.football365.com/teams/arsenal/story_152867.shtml

What wenger thinks!

Thats what wenger thinks anyway, although it will be entirely up to Cole if he wants to take a measly 55k a week rather than 60. In fairness no player should hold a club to ransom (take note rio) but then again it is only 5 grand of a difference.

The one good thing that Arsenal have Clichy as back up who imo will be a better player then cole in the long run.

So how much will arsenal get for him. Barca and Real Madrid are very keen with one of them reported to offer 25 million for him. Id hold out for 30m ;)

Im really undecided about this. You will be hard pressed to find a better left back in the world then Cole, but with him in the team clichys appreance will be serverly reduced. It will be a big gamble imo and if he is to go it will be this summer and NOT to chelsea. Think spain would suit him better anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Replacement for Roberto Carlo or a replacement for Gio at Barcelona. Yeah...can see him going to Spain alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

jank wrote:
    You will be hard pressed to find a better left back in the world then Cole
    :rolleyes:
    Heinze?

I ignored that comment by Jank cos he really does have a tendency to troll...he loves it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

lol :D
    What wrong with ye people, cant one have an opinion!?

Heinze is a fabulous player.....but so was John o Shea in his first season and Howard for that matter for the first 6 months until errors krept into his game.

Cole on the other hand has proven himself year in year out at the highest level. Once heinze does that then he can claim to himself to be "world class", a brand too easily handed out to players now a days

Utd imo have only rooney, rvn and ferdinand as world class players, while Arsenal have henry, cole, campbell and maybe vieria. Didnt mention keane because he is well past it as with many other utd midfielders.
    Reyes , the young gunners and Ronaldo have the potential to be world class as does heinze.

Ooopps im trolling back on topic

If Cole doesnt think that 55 grand a week is good enough for him then imo he can **** off to spain. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

I know a friend of Ashley Cole's and he assured me that He signed a new contract with Arsenal weeks ago unbeknownst to the media.

Wonder if i've been had :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

heinze was actually very very good while in France, but thats neither here nor there :)

Cole is absolutely quality, and if I was Wenger I'd sell him, let Clichy take over, who is a ****ign fantastic player, and use the 10-15 mill(keep in mind hes a fullback, name me a fullback who has gone for above 20?) to help strength the squad in the areas needing strengthening, i.e. up front, right wing, right full back.
    45 mill could do that easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

seansouth wrote:
    Heinze?
    hahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

man thats some trolling going on. If Roy Keane isnt world class then neither is Zidane, Figo or Maldini in that case jank.

I love listening to people whove never kick a ball in anger talk about players being past it.

on topic: ashley cole is a superb left full and id have him in any team except united because i wouldnt be as confident in him as Heinze. Heinze takes no crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i have to admit cole is a good full back.

but personally i think hes the type of player that is replaceable. glichy looks like he could fill his boots. so while all the bad publicity of the chelsea affair is going on i think wenger should sell him and use the cash on other area's.

Draupnir wrote:
    man thats some trolling going on. If Roy Keane isnt world class then neither is Zidane, Figo or Maldini in that case jank.

I love listening to people whove never kick a ball in anger talk about players being past it.
    Well, I don't know about Zidane or Maldini, but I seem to recall there being a discussion here recently about whether Figo is good enough for Liverpool to take for a nominal fee.

World class indeed...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

seansouth wrote:
    Heinze?

LOL

Cole is class player , but hes a left back so easily reaplced reckon Clichy will be a better player so any money for a player that came through ranks is good money.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Well, I don't know about Zidane or Maldini, but I seem to recall there being a discussion here recently about whether Figo is good enough for Liverpool to take for a nominal fee.

World class indeed...

Anyone who questions whether Figo is a world class player has no real knowledge of football in my opinion. Liverpool would be blessed to get Figo. A footballing genius.

I remember seeing a while ago that Queirez was trying to convince Fergie to sign him

Yeah I remember that...

Ferguson tried signing him years ago b4 he went to Real Madrid...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Out of all those you mention keane has deteriated more then all of them. Maldini is world class. He is going to participate in his 2nd champs league final in 3 years just to prove that he is still at the top. Figo and zidane are quality but thier best is behind them and you cant argue with that
    Draupnir wrote:

I love it when posters asume so much about other posters ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I personally think selling Cole would not be a good idea. Yes Clichy looks a quality player, and hes still very young. But the thing about Cole is that he is already a top quality attacking left back and links brilliantly with Pires down the left. To sell Cole but would be a major step backwards, and would be on an equivalent with selling Petit and Overmars all those years back.
    Arsenal have to get past being a stepping stone club, and have only recently been able to hold on to their top players, ie Henry and Vieira. If the other players in the team seen us selling off Cole, they would probably start looking elsewhere themselves as Arsenal want to be able to keep their best players in order to someday win the Champions League.
    In relation to the whole ColeGate affair I think that Cole should make the decision what he wants to do,either
    A. play for and maybe one day captain his boyhood idols (if he picked this I believe that he would have to get a different agent, as this Barnett fella reminds me too much of Anelka's brothers).
    or
    B. take the money and run to the continent
    all in all it is an extremely important summer for Wenger, as the ramifications could be serious.

Yeh, there is that, if Cole leaves Vieira will probably too.
    Henry will never leave Arsenal, he loves Wenger, so he is only gona do that if Wenger leaves, which he wont :)

Clichy is 22 if I'm not mistaken. If Cole was not in the squad, he would have established himself as a quality ful back by now.
    Pires is gone soon, so the link up is kinda irrelevent.

Sell him to the new Real Madrid dream team and use the money to win the prem next year. Arsenal won't loose that much by having Clichy play, it certainly won't cost em the championship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

PHB wrote:
    Yeh, there is that, if Cole leaves Vieira will probably too.
    Henry will never leave Arsenal, he loves Wenger, so he is only gona do that if Wenger leaves, which he wont :)

Clichy is 22 if I'm not mistaken. If Cole was not in the squad, he would have established himself as a quality ful back by now.
    Pires is gone soon, so the link up is kinda irrelevent.

Sell him to the new Real Madrid dream team and use the money to win the prem next year. Arsenal won't loose that much by having Clichy play, it certainly won't cost em the championship

Clichy is 19.......;)

Not bothered either way as long as it is sorted out soon. If he goes, Wenger can use some of the money to sign a good defender who can play left back and centreback, and then he can get rid of Cygan.

Seems likely that Hleb will sign in the summer too, add a goalkeeper and things are looking in good shape.

Advertisement