Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

00 Corolla engine management light on ?????

Options
  • 19-05-2005 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

I drive a 00 corolla and this evening the engine management light has come on and stayed on. As is typical I have to go to a funeral down the country on saturday morning. The car appears to be running fine, any ideas what the problem could be and if I can't get a mechanic to look at it tomorrow should I risk the journey?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Might just need a service??? How long since the last one?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

33k on the clock it was serviced {small service}@ main dealer at 29k. I did an oil change last weekend . Due it's next full service @37k. I'll give the dealer a ring in the morning see if they can hook it up to the computer to see what the problem is Hopefully it's nothing too major and they will sort it out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

Probably the vvti sensor this gave alot of trouble with that model corolla, would't worry to much about drivin with it on but do get it checked during the week cos it will need to be changed out as it will keep putting on your engine managment light,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Could be anything, with a code readout it may be more apparent.
    But check for simple items, like a loose gas cap, broken, cracked or disconnected vacuum/intake hosing.
    Leaking/Loose dipstick or oil cap seals.
    Check for some loose connector or any sort, electrical or mechanical.

Or may be at 30K the light comes on anyway, just as a reminder to get theeself to the dealership to turn it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Update.

I rang the main deal this morning they said it was most likely a faulty sensor the VVTI one{full marks tombull82} and it would cost €250 to €300 to replace but they couldn't do it today. They said it would be OK to drive the car but that I might experience power loss.

A mechanic friend of mine arranged for me to get it hooked up to a diagnostic computer and it reported no problems. He reset the system and the light has not come back on, yet anyway. Fingers crossed.

Thanks to eveyone that replied with advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement