Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ping Problems

• 19-05-2005 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

First of all I am with Esat BT and regularly play Pro-Evolution online. I don't know a lot about these types of things but Pro-Evo has got very laggy recently so I decided to test pings (is that the phrase used? :)). I did this before and it worked but I've tried pinging a load of url's and it just keeps coming up "Request timed out" 4 times. I've turned my firewall off and its still the same.

Any idea what the problem is and is it effecting the speed of Pro-Evo online?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

have you run a broadband speed test, there are many available, do a google.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Check your speed Hereand see what it says. Who's your ISP and, if you havent already, run spybot and ad-aware and a virus scan to see if it finds anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Download: 737 kbps
    Upload: 84.4 kbps
    Quality of Service: 61%
    Round Trip Time: 4535 ms
    Max Pause: 719 ms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

Download: 825
    Upload: 72
    Quality: 81%
    Round trip time: 4531
    Max pause:390

And Im on EsatBT in cork! Have you checked to see what the ping between you and the other players is like, also did you do anything different like play on a separate server to the normal one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

On Eircom in Limerick

Ping statistics for 195.149.21.11:

Packets: Sent = 1386, Received = 1377, Lost = 9 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 33ms, Maximum = 3397ms, Average = 132ms

• Advertisement

I ran Spybot and Ad-Aware and they found nothing unusual.
    astec123 wrote:
    And Im on EsatBT in cork! Have you checked to see what the ping between you and the other players is like, also did you do anything different like play on a separate server to the normal one?
    I haven't tried to ping any ip (other than an ip to a website). I don't know what you mean by seperate server but I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Wackman

A little off topic but...when you play pro evo online do you gotta pay for xbox online too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Ive been getting ISDN speeds from my supposed 2mb IOLBB all week. Painfully slow...

Wackman wrote:
    A little off topic but...when you play pro evo online do you gotta pay for xbox online too?
    I don't have an xbox. Playing on PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Wackman

Which one? pro evo 4?

• Advertisement

Wackman wrote:
    Which one? pro evo 4?
    yep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

iolbb is **** for pings between around 6pm and midnight every now and again

pings jump from 50 to 120, this time its lasted for about a week now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

About the lag of pes4 for pc, konami release a patch a while a go which it doesnt solve completely the problem but it improved things a lot.Did u get that installed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Get HLSW is can be found at www.HLSW.net its agame programme like ASE but it has a great trace route facility where you can see where the lag is !

give it a bash !! is pisss easy to use !!

j4vier wrote:
    About the lag of pes4 for pc, konami release a patch a while a go which it doesnt solve completely the problem but it improved things a lot.Did u get that installed?
    Yeah, I have the patch. I used to be able to host a game and I wouldn't even notice I was playing online but recently I am getting a lot of lag while hosting.

I'd just love to know why I can't seem to ping any site.

Drapper - that site seems to be down atm but i'll keep trying.

I did a bit of googling and decided to try and run Nslookup and I get the following message:

*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.1.1: Non-existent domain
    *** Default servers are not available
    Default Server: UnKnown
    Address: 192.168.1.1

If that helps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Grom

I’m on the esat bt business 2meg line, was recently a 512 and they just upped me, I ping like 15-20 to Irish servers and regularly have a download speed of about 235-240, never anything wrong.

I had what you were talking about, sometimes esat seem fit to put a block on outgoing icmp packets aka pings. Give them a ring on the phone, get tru to technical support and ask them to take the block off, then you should be able to ping in dos.

On a side note, could the lag your experiencing be as a result of iolbb moving up to a 2meg line for a lot of people, non business that is, then the overhaul on there servers die to increased download speeds would be far greater, and while it may not effect download speed it would effect ping's in game. Also what contention ratio are you on?

And like someone said do a traceroute to see where the big hop is in the routers and check if that hop remains till the final router.

If you could post a traceroute up here could be able to help.

I've downloaded that HLSW program. Nothing seems to be happening with it though, what should I do? :)

BTW, I will give them a call cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Grom

Hrmm, in hlsw, iirc, in address put in a server name get any cs server, then on the top bar there is a tab called server, click it, scroll down to traceroute, and click it, it should show you where your speeds are getting clogged up.

But there is a slight problem you can't use traceroute if you can't ping, icmp packets, :rolleyes:

So like I said, give them a ring, ask them to take the block off of your computer and allow outgoing icmp packets, then do the above, and we will see where the trouble is coming from.

Just wondering are you a residential 2meg iollbb/esat bt broadband user?

If you are then these pings are like I said probably because you are on a **** contention ratio to start with, now that everyone is on a 2meg line the backhaul much worse and speeds are not steady, hence jumpy pings.

I’m on the business broadband, a lot dearer, but I don't think I've ever had a problem, and I should think not at €107 (inc vat) per month. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

eirebhoy wrote:
    I've downloaded that HLSW program. Nothing seems to be happening with it though, what should I do? :)

BTW, I will give them a call cheers.

ok, type in an Ip address and right clcik and click TRACE ROUTE!!

see screen shot

• Advertisement
Advertisement