Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LPG conversion

Options
  • 19-05-2005 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

Just been checking out the cost benefits of running a car on LPG and while it seems to make more sense in the UK than here there's one possibility I couldn't find any info about.

Presuming (and I could be wrong here) car LPG is the same stuff as central heating LPG is it possible to get an attachment for your home tank to fill up your car?

(Also is this completely different stuff from piped gas?). Cheers for any info :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Bluehair wrote:
    Presuming (and I could be wrong here) car LPG is the same stuff as central heating LPG is it possible to get an attachment for your home tank to fill up your car?

(Also is this completely different stuff from piped gas?). Cheers for any info :)

Yes, LPG for home and car are the same, I suspect you would not (legally) get a home attachment for the car, as it's probably a similar situation to 'red' diesel for home/farm and standard diesel for road use - different tax rate applies.

Piped (natural) gas is very differerent to LPG as it does not liquify (the L) under the relatively low pressures used in LPG systems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

LPG (liquefied petroleum gas) used in cars is propane, I believe some home heating gas is propane too but some is methane I think (CNG, compressed natural gas?). I have been told that it is possible to have your own lpg tank at home and lpg at petrol stations is supplied by flogas but I haven't investigated this angle yet as I don't have somewhere to put a home tank. Unlike red diesel all gas is the same colour and it's a pressurised system so can't be checked on the roadside. On one website I read how to make up a spare gas tank type of affair from a kozangas type bottle and the correct connections, so I'm sure a filler system for a home tank is possible. It may even be legal. I'm in the middle of putting a 2 tank system into one of my vehicles.Economically LPG does make more sense in the UK than here unless you have a big machine (mines a 5.7ltr V8 chevy van runs at about 13mpg :eek: ). If you live near the border it's only 35p a litre up north. Plus in the UK they get subsidised conversions due to LPG being so envirinmentally friendly.
    Mountainview motors in Blessington/Tallaght do LPG conversions and a crowd up north do them too. I went the far cheaper route and bought a kit off ebay which I'm fitting myself. I'm going for a dual fuel system with a large gas capacity.And before anyone asks YES I do plan on getting the system fully safety/leak tested before using it.

Advertisement