Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Jobs

• 19-05-2005 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭

Ok,im posting this thread to say if anyone knows of any summer jobs available for a Transition Year student living on the southside of the city PLEASE let me know!!!
    Thanks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

i believe tescos are looking for staff at the moment and pubs always seem to have a high staff turnover so you might try there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭katiegordon

Ok thanks ill try that!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 koala

any jobs for second year student from de NORTHSIDE

i never hear much about under 16s getting jobs, pubs/shelf stacking usually ask you to be over 16 or 18

a few friends of mine a few years ago, when they were under 16, managed to get jobs throught parents offices and the like

if youre looking for a job you might want to look over here and find out a few rights first

best of luck though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Bollocks, I think I've left it too late to get a job again. I might try in the various supermarkets/pubs around me. Having no previous experience is a shít one though

• Advertisement

general work in supermarkets doesnt ask for any previous experience

i wouldnt say its too late considering the levels of staff turnover these places have, my friend was working 6 months in a pub and was the longest non manager employee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

when I was in transition year I worked in Spar - wasn''t the best job I've had but certainluy wasn't the worst either. You could try them, or maybe Tesco as someone said earlier. Dunnes have nicer uniforms than Tesco (for the girls), but I don't know whether or not they hire people under 18.

Being under 16 in TY is sooo annoying everyone else seems to have a job and i have so much free time wen i cud be earning money!!!I need a summer job for a 15yr ol!Ne1 HELP!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

try your parents office/local shop. i got a job in a spar when i was 15 cos my uncle knows the owner. use your contacts and you'll find a job fairly easy. offices are more likely because the law protects you from working certain hours, before 8 i think and most offices dont start til 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Speaking of jobs, how would a minor such as myself go about getting a job in a bookshop? Just walk in and ask for an application form or what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I think I'm just going to walk around and check out every shop/library etc for a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I'm pretty sure none of the mainstream shops will hire you if you're under 16. I found it impossible to get a job til I was 16, have had a part (or full time in the summer) job since I turned 16.
    Have a look here

grimloch wrote:
    if youre looking for a job you might want to look over here and find out a few rights first

/me points to above link

like someone suggested parents can organize jobs if they work in an office of any description

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ncho

What other decent disco's are there in south Dublin for under 16's ??? they are all so far away from everything like Bondii,Stillorgan<days away> and wezz.............Well??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

points to topic

summer JOBS

disco's below

Thanks but ive tormented my parents about getting me a job and they said they cant help. I seem to have asked everybody but no-ones able to help!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Speaking of jobs, how would a minor such as myself go about getting a job in a bookshop? Just walk in and ask for an application form or what?
    Sure, no harm in trying

you might as well go for ir, the worst that can happen them saying no, i doubt it would require an application form depeding where you ask

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

you could clean my house.....

serriously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Here is my honest opinion. Anyone under the age of 18 should not be allowed have a summer job. I am a student and getting a job is difficult and it annoys me when I see a boy on the other side of the counter

• Advertisement

swingking wrote:
    Here is my honest opinion. Anyone under the age of 18 should not be allowed have a summer job. I am a student and getting a job is difficult and it annoys me when I see a boy on the other side of the counter
    Well here is my opinion it may be kind of racist but lots of people i know agree with me................
    All d foreign people in Ireland or robbing my jobs!!!!
    They shud not be allowed work, there are not enuf jobs in Ireland for everybody,lots of my friends are looking for jobs and we cant get any!!!
    We go into shops to look for jobs and theres someone standing there who cant speak english,we cud do that!!!(with the added bonus of being able to understand wat people are looking for!!)
    I know people will say well thats cuz theyll work for nothing but at this stage SO WILL I!!!!!!

swingking wrote:

and why shouldnt people under 18 be allowed to get jobs?
    because they got there and got the job first? because they are younget than you therefore they dont deserve to do the same job to the same standard?

i can understand getting a job is difficult but i got a job, fair enough through a contact but i had more than one backup plan if it went bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Pearl666

Well here is my opinion it may be kind of racist but lots of people i know agree with me................
    They shud not be allowed work, there are not enuf jobs in Ireland for everybody,lots of my friends are looking for jobs and we cant get any!!!
    We go into shops to look for jobs and theres someone standing there who cant speak english,we cud do that!!!(with the added bonus of being able to understand wat people are looking for!!)
    I know people will say well thats cuz theyll work for nothing but at this stage SO WILL I!!!!!!

okay. they cone here to seek education and need a living so they get a job. and your just looking for something to to for cash so you can go drink it all away and probably bang some random chap at a club....yeah you go do that. you steal away that foreigners.

what would you do if you were in their position? coming to a new country without a lick of English and still not a lick of english..only job you could really apply for is a part time job at a fast food resturant..so stop looking for sympathy and get a job on your own like everyother working irsh men and women of today.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Right, there's several points I have to pick here. Might aswell nip this pseudoracism in the bud.

i)They're robbing you of your job? Why now is it 'your' job? What makes you more qualified than the person who took the initiative and got there first? And don't give me the language barrier BS, that's a ignorant, foolish and prejudiced generalisation. Do you honestly think they would have been given the job if they couldn't even communicate with the clientele?

ii)Why shouldn't they be allowed work? I'm sure they need the money much more than you do, what having to support themselves/their family/their education etc. I would be fairly safe in saying the majority of 'd foreign' people need a job much, much more than you do. Emphatically so I might even say

iii)Your discriminatory, prejudiced and ignorant outlook needs to be severely rectified. Your attitude just goes to show that you're the one who shouldn't be allowed work. If thats your attitude, any potential employer will see you as a snotty brat and will pick the reliable, hardworking person over you, which coincidentally are the attributes 99% of foreigners have that I've come into contact with. They're here to earn money for whatever reasons, and in my experience they get their head down and do the work. What more could a potential employer ask for?

I know you're annoyed at not getting a job, but pointing the blame on foreigners is stupid, as I'm sure you full well know. The fact is, there are jobs out there. It's a sort of whittling process; the people who want them most will end up getting them, not the people who moan about it on the internet. Get out there and take the initiative and leave behind the ignorance

Swingkings post is AGEIST but i dont see anyone picking up on dat.
    People hav actually STOPPED going to mcdonalds etc. as the staff cannot understand them. I went to mcdonalds to apply 4 a job and i was standing at the counter 4 literally 10 minutes trying 2 explain that i wanted a job,the girl was convinced i wanted a mc chicken sandwich.In d end the woman behind me had to go off and get the manager so i cud explain to him.............dont tell me theyre better qualified-they are cheap labour.
    I have handed a C.V. in 2 every shop/pub in mine and surrounding areas and all over town aswel so dont sit there and tell me i havent tried.Girls in my class who have the same or even less qualifications than me hav done so aswel and hav gotten jobs purely beacause they are 16, the law needs to be changed!!!!

And it doesnt matter what peoples motive for getting a job is that shudnt come into the matter!!!!!!Nor shud age it shud be purely aboutqualifications!!!!!

Swingkings post is AGEIST but i dont see anyone picking up on dat.

i did pick up on it....

generally a 16 or 17 year old will be more mature, more motivated and physically able to work longer and harder than a 15 year old, i dont recall the precise figures but legally a 16 year old can work for longer than a 15

if youre more qualified than the aforementioned 16 year olds who got jobs over you...well, i cant answer that to be honest apart form the benefits from the employers point of view like making them work longer and so forth

And it doesnt matter what peoples motive for getting a job is that shudnt come into the matter!!!!!!Nor shud age it shud be purely aboutqualifications!!!!!

ehh..ever hear or insurance?

ehh..ever hear of Insurance?

• Advertisement

Pearl666 wrote:
    ehh..ever hear of Insurance?

Im not fully up to date on the legislation on the matter but is there separate insurance policies for 15 year olds and 16 year olds?

Im under the impression there wasnt....and that employers would only hire 16s over 15s for the purpse of making them work for longer without breaks

Advertisement