Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Jobs

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Swingkings post is AGEIST but i dont see anyone picking up on dat.
    People hav actually STOPPED going to mcdonalds etc. as the staff cannot understand them. I went to mcdonalds to apply 4 a job and i was standing at the counter 4 literally 10 minutes trying 2 explain that i wanted a job,the girl was convinced i wanted a mc chicken sandwich.In d end the woman behind me had to go off and get the manager so i cud explain to him.............dont tell me theyre better qualified-they are cheap labour.
    I have handed a C.V. in 2 every shop/pub in mine and surrounding areas and all over town aswel so dont sit there and tell me i havent tried.Girls in my class who have the same or even less qualifications than me hav done so aswel and hav gotten jobs purely beacause they are 16, the law needs to be changed!!!!

Uhmmmmm... may I ask if you ran your CV through a spell checker before printing it off? Obviously I don't know you from a hole in the wall, but going from your written words I have come to a couple of conclusions. Hav? d? cud? aswel? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭katiegordon

Dat has no relevance to the argument,of course i prepare my C.V. better than a comment i am typing out in 2 seconds...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

just to add to this conversation, i was sitting in a cofee place in Omni one day, and I saw some CVs which were left on the counter beside me. On girls said "degree in Law from University if Vilnius" (i am assuming its about the same as Trinners, I think is pretty old, ect")
    how is it fair that someone with the intelligence to have a degree in Law has to work in a cofee shop and probably get abused by gob****es who are probably thick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭katiegordon

Its extremely unfair and that is back to my point of how there are not enough jobs to go around!!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Funkstard

just to add to this conversation, i was sitting in a cofee place in Omni one day, and I saw some CVs which were left on the counter beside me. On girls said "degree in Law from University if Vilnius" (i am assuming its about the same as Trinners, I think is pretty old, ect")
    how is it fair that someone with the intelligence to have a degree in Law has to work in a cofee shop and probably get abused by gob****es who are probably thick.

Law graduates fresh out of college can expect to earn sweet FA for a good 6-7 years. Until you pass the mountain of requirements to be admitted to the Bar, if you're lucky enough to get an internship you'll most likely be earning less than minimum wage for a few years. So, I would imagine many of them have part-time jobs for a while :p

With that said I know what you mean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Well here is my opinion it may be kind of racist but lots of people i know agree with me................
    All d foreign people in Ireland or robbing my jobs!!!!
    They shud not be allowed work, there are not enuf jobs in Ireland for everybody,lots of my friends are looking for jobs and we cant get any!!!
    We go into shops to look for jobs and theres someone standing there who cant speak english,we cud do that!!!(with the added bonus of being able to understand wat people are looking for!!)
    I know people will say well thats cuz theyll work for nothing but at this stage SO WILL I!!!!!!

Youre looking for summer jobs these people come to this country to work and live here on a permanent basis.You jus want a bit of money these people need the money and so will work much harder than you to get it.You live with your parents, these people share expensive tiny flats and need to work a hell of a lot of hours.And employers prey on this.Therefore, you and your mates are out of the running. Be thankful for what you have, thats no way to speak about people who are less fortunate than you are.You live on the southside, with your parents, just look in a local shop, thats all you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Its extremely unfair and that is back to my point of how there are not enough jobs to go around!!! :mad:

Well Irelands economy is the fault of that.Before you say anything, no, immigrants are not the fault of that.Its due to Ireland being used as an industrial centre now.Larger companies will hire staff, in there leaving school ages as health risks etc apply, and therefore jobs in the industrial sector are quite prominate compared to ones in the city centre.

City centre jobs will require you to have a reference from school or something.You will definatly not get any sort of job in a high street shop as they tend not to hire teenagers.Even brown thomas are picky about work experience , yes work experience.They turned down my gf when she applied for next years work experience.

Teenagers generally arent hired for most jobs due to their punctuallity and attendance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Finch*

katie your a twat, but if yoour still looking for ideas, i got a job in westwood when i was 15, the hours were very good and could be switched with other employees, and it was a very relaxed and fun atmosphere with other teens working around me. im not talking about westwood gym, i mean the kids party place i cant remember what its called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

grimloch wrote:
    and why shouldnt people under 18 be allowed to get jobs?
    because they got there and got the job first? because they are younget than you therefore they dont deserve to do the same job to the same standard?

i can understand getting a job is difficult but i got a job, fair enough through a contact but i had more than one backup plan if it went bad
    In response to the argument. At the end of the day these kids who are behind the counter are children. I find that most of the time they are either talking to their friends, staring blankly or else wishing that they weren't there. I will admit that there are some school kids who are very good at their jobs but I believe that it comes down to a certain level of maturity. BTW these people have little or no qualifications; maybe the junior cert but besides that there is no qualifications

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

swingking wrote:
    In response to the argument. At the end of the day these kids who are behind the counter are children. I find that most of the time they are either talking to their friends, staring blankly or else wishing that they weren't there. I will admit that there are some school kids who are very good at their jobs but I believe that it comes down to a certain level of maturity. BTW these people have little or no qualifications; maybe the junior cert but besides that there is no qualifications

I brought this point up a little earlier and i thinks its correct, most young 15 year olds say arent mature enough for a job, yes there are exceptions but in general anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I'll agree with this but I believe jobs increase maturity.
    Enter me, 16, never worked before. Begins a real job, not stacking shelves or working behind a till etc. Have to work to get respect, because the next youngest person in the company is 4 years older than you. You do your job very well, you are forced into acting mature. You earn the respect.
    I left that job to do my Leaving Cert, with more confidence & maturity you could shake a stick at, for a 16 year old (once shy) guy.
    I've just signed my contact, and am going back as of June 27th. I can't wait.

Advertisement