Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessibility

Options
  • 19-05-2005 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Depending upon many variables, I am in hopes of moving home to Dublin from the US. Therefore, I regularly visit several Dublin Estate Agents/Property sites, to watch apartment sales/costs.

Of serious concern to me, however, is the question of disabled access: due to mobility problems, I cannot use stairs and have to have a lift available for anything above the ground floor. Hence, my question:

Although discouragingly few apartment listings even mention lifts, would it be safe to assume that an apartment block built after 1992 is accessible [per Part M of the Building Regulations Act 2002] ... or is it still very much the luck of the draw?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Generally they would be accessible if built after 1992, with a few exceptions.

(a) buildings that had planning permission to build before then.
    (b) buildings with no more than 6-8 apartments.
    (c) apartments with their own (not shared with any other apartment) access at ground level.
    (d) "cowboy" builders (cowboys being the bad guys)

You best bet is to look for a non-duplex (two-storey) apartment in a larger building.

Expect bathroom access to be medicore in all but the newest buildings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 exdub

Thanks, so much, Victor - for the info and for taking the time to respond; I truly appreciate it! God bless.

Advertisement