Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€11 million from Public Finances to deal with Organised Crime!

• 19-05-2005 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Recent reports have detailed that Micheal Mcdowell BL, Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform has introduced a new programme to crack down on organised crime in Ireland. €11 million has been forecasted as the cost of implementing this programme, which is to come from State Coffers.

I agree that this programme is required to crack down on organised crime in Ireland however I do feel that the taxpayer shouldn't have to pay for this. I feel that the funding for this programme should come from funds seized from crime. For example the first disposal order shall be made by the Criminal Assets Bureau shortly against the seized assets of John Gilligan. These funds would be able to fund the programme and I feel would be more appropriate.

What do you think of the situation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I agree and I also think it's a disgrace that the Gardai are being given incentives to do their bloody job. We the taxpayer pay them to police this state and yet they're being given all this money and hrs to do what they should be doing anyway. If they got off their backsides and just did their job, we wouldn't have this criminal element running the country. My god, it took the murder of a crime journalist (Guerin), before the Gardai decided to act. These crime lords have had a free reign in Ireland for far too long, flooding the streets with drugs. A journalist loses her life and only then do the Gardai act

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

where exactly does the money seized by the CAB go?
    I'd prefer to see it go into youth services as well as victim support (such as addiction clinics and berevment councilling etc) rather than the police. We pay taxes in order to help stop crime, it should cost as much as it needs to cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I agree Flogen, the money should be made available to the victims of crime.The Gardai have the resources already, the laws are in place, It's time they enforced them and then the Judiciary should do the same. Don't get me started with them lot!!!!

Advertisement