Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iAudio X5

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Its the 30GB X5L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Enjoy! Its a lovely little thing, hopefully i'll get my hands on one later in the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭OhPinchy

lads based on what I read here I did some more research on it and I'm convinced the iAudio X5 is the Daddy of all MP3 players so I wanna get my hands on one asap.

Where do I get one though?

I'm gonna be in the US for a week from next weekend but from what I can make out it seems its only available online and I'm having the usual problems trying to order with a non-US credit card and getting it shipped to a different address to the billing address. Even ebay is letting me down.

Anyone know of a way I can order it online from the US and either have it delivered to me over there or have it delivered to here? Or are there any shops in the US where I could walk in and buy it?

Pauln and felixdhc – where did yous get you iAudios and how much were they? And are they as good as theyre cracked up to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

Yeah, where did you guys got it from and how much did it cost you?

Seems lots of people who have iH320 want one...

I got mine through kinda being in the business.

Bcool in the Pavillions Swords will have a selection of iAudio by Friday this week. They will have the X5L 20Gb too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

Got iH320 today... Ah well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You should be able to bring it back :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

FYI BCool in town have 2 x 20gb X5L in stock.

Well actually they now only have one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

How much did it cost you? is it the L?

• Advertisement

cormie wrote:
    How much did it cost you? is it the L?

Its the 'L' version and my credit card is still in shock :eek:

It was 389.99
    One word of note is that has a two prong power adapter but a shaver adapter works just dandy.

First impressions are good. Seems easy enough to navigate around it and the menus are pretty obvious. Sound quality excellent thus far but not had a chance to listen for long. Easy drag and drop transfer from PC and speedy transfer under USB 2.0.

Nice :D

Sure I paid €460 for my iRiver H140 when it first came out. That was the cheapest of the cheapest, a place in Bray quoted me over €600 for it :eek:

It's worth every cent of that €460, I use it I'd say more than 18 hours per 24 hours. MP3 players in general are just great, and you have the best of the best that's out there. Nice one;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

cormie what place in bray sell mp3 players i can't think of any?

I wouldn't be able to tell you. I went to the iRiver site, looked at the Irish and UK distributor, rang them up and got numbers of places in bray that dealt with them, it would have been a special order for me. I can't think of anywhere in Bray that would sell them unless Dickers stock them? Or Totterdells or there was a computer shop across from Smyths, not too sure if it's still there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

The Laptop Shop in Stephens Green has them or can order them.

By the looks of things it seems Cowon have decided not to release a 60Gig x5, well thats the word on the messageboards anyway, originally it was supposed to be released this month. I'm really dissapointed, the 30gig just seems a little small, may go back to my plan of getting the H340 now.

• Advertisement

Ah no way that's ridiculous! Let's just hope they go with an 80 instead! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭chat2joe

I ordered an iAudio x5 30GB last week. It arrived in Ireland today so I should have it by Wednesday! I'll try hook it up to a hard drive when I get it too and let ye know how it goes! It cost me €330 (incl. shipping and all) from eBay. It's coming from america. It's making it's wway through customs right now :(

Damn customs, I got a nice bill of €177 off them the other day! If you do get stung, it should only be half that if even.

I'd be very interested if you could tell me if it can hook up to an external HD, thanks:)

For those still planning to buy the X5, first shipments were well delayed but will be in later this week. Both Peats & Harvey Normans will be stocking them. So far it will be the 20GB X5 and the 30GB X5L. 60GB as mentioned above is delayed but should still launch. There may also be a cheaper option in a couple of months which will be the X5 without tuner. I'm still loving mine :D

This was posted on the iaudiophile site today so I think the 60Gig really is dead in the water
    Just had an e-mail from Kevin Kang @ Cowon.

"We decided to drop the 60GB verion of X5 from our line-ups.

We found there is very little demand for the 60GB version. So, X5 is currently available with 20G and 30G only.
    And, we don't have plan to add any additional capacity model for this line-ups"

Looks like Apple are going to add video to the ipod, of course they already have a 60Gig model on the market
    An iPod with video? Apple Computer Inc. has been talking to several major recording companies, looking to license the sale of music videos through the popular iTunes music site, The Wall Street Journal reported in Monday's editions.

Negotiations are an indication that Apple is moving to release a device that plays video files, possibly by September, The Journal said. Analysts see the development as likely because of Apple's strength in video software, including the Quicktime movie format and video-editing software, such as Final Cut Pro and iMovie.

An Apple spokeswoman declined to comment.

• Advertisement

Thats a shame if they dont go ahead with it, all I had heard was that it was not available for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭chat2joe

Mine's arrived today!!! Much quicker than expected! It's really neat. I owned the iAudio M3 before this so I'm used to the superior iAudio quality anyway :cool: ! That aside, it's actually a bit chubbier than I had expected (with the screen and all). Still extremely sleek looking. I'm still trying to get the external hard drive setup on it - i'll keep yous posted. I can take some photos of it if anyones interested. I loaded a good few episodes of scrubs and simpsons on it and they view very nicely indeed!! The "small" screen isn't that big an issue when watching it actually. I can see myself watching videos on the bus etc.! The software's very handy for resizing the video - a half hour video seems to take 35 - 40 MB which i'm quite impressed with. I'd love to talk more but I really want to go back to playing with my new toy! Be back soon! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Dr. Octagon

Just purchased one of these bad boys.The x5l 30gb model for 344 euro in total from Ebay. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

It has been confirmed that a 60gb model will be produced due to popular demand but it will take a while.

Canon cameras are not supported by the USB on the go feature. Will I be able to plug my SD card into a little memory card reader and transfer pictures that way?

Canon cameras are not supported by the USB on the go feature. Will I be able to plug my SD card into a little memory card reader and transfer pictures that way?

A list of supported/unsupported devices is HERE

:D

It has been confirmed that a 60gb model will be produced due to popular demand but it will take a while.

Yep, the saga continues!!
    "Dear iAUDIO customers,

I appreciate your warm support for iAUDIO.

The iAUDIO X5 60GB version became a hot issue at many sites recently. My information about X5 60GB was not our official announcement nor correct. I was wrong. Please do not be disappointed with that.

Today we decided to release iAUDIO X5 60GB version in near future.

Sorry for the confusions that I've made by my e-mail. Once a specific schedule is ready, we will inform you of it.

Thanks and regards,
    Kevin Kang"

They will produce the 60GB model, it just depends on what each country requests in total per month then they can justify production. Anyone want to suggest how many the Irish market will require for the next few months up to December??!

Just to add to that, the first shipments of iAudio arrived today and are being customs cleared as we speak. Should be in the shops by Wednesday at the latest. This is all models including the various flash players.

Felixdhc wrote:
    They will produce the 60GB model, it just depends on what each country requests in total per month then they can justify production. Anyone want to suggest how many the Irish market will require for the next few months up to December??!

Not many I'd say, if any, someone here going to buy one of them would probably get it on the web or get someone to get it in the U.S. or something like that I would guess.

So is everyone loving the x5, anyone get one and not like it or have some major complaints?

comet wrote:
    So is everyone loving the x5, anyone get one and not like it or have some major complaints?

Had mine for a couple of weeks now. I have no major complaints and the ones I do have are very minor.

Supplied headphones are a bit crap but then most are. Swapped them with Sony's EX71 'phones and all is well.
    Cowon don't supply a case as standard which is probably my biggest gripe. One dented VISA card later and my X5 is nestled in a Noreve leather case.
    The screen is a bit small for video TBH, although I have been watching a few episodes of Trailer Park Boys on the train. Maybe I just need to get my eyes tested though :D
    Seems like a lot of people are having problems with the fact that the X5 doesn't organize music via the ID3 tags (though the rumour is that the next firmware version will do this) All my stuff is organized in folders so it hasn't been a problem.
    Still trying to find anywhere that sells the remote. Once I get that my entire life will be perfect :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

hmm i am intrigued by this model but consider the video end of things to be surplus to my requirements. Would the 40 gb m4s still be easily available? mmm... gunmetal brown

All iAudio models landed and in the shops as of tomorrow :D

I actually prefer sorting my music by folders as you can choose yourself as to how your music is sorted. I have folders divided alphabetically and then separate folders for dance genres and DJ mixes. I used the line in recently for the first time and cant believe how user friendly it was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Seem like the first MP3 HD player that has most of the features people want. The iPod and Iriver don't grab me. But this one looks like I will get one. Personally I don't use tags, but it should have them.

How much was the case?
    Whats in the box?
    What prices are the different versions?
    Whats the warranty on this?

Well, i have 20 gbs in my winamp library as it is, so i want some room on an MP3 player.. and tbh most high capacity Mp3 players dont seem worth the asking price. The creative 60 gb was a great idea but well, that ended in tears :rolleyes:

felix, you clued industry insider cat.. could you name any shops that might intend stocking these various models from tomorrow?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I have 40GB in mine. But I wouldn't need to carry all that around. Maybe 10GB for data and the rest for music would be fine.

Seem like the first MP3 HD player that has most of the features people want. The iPod and Iriver don't grab me. But this one looks like I will get one. Personally I don't use tags, but it should have them.

How much was the case?
    Whats in the box?
    What prices are the different versions?
    Whats the warranty on this?

Case is 39.99 See HERE

Box contained the X5, mains charger, subpack, USB cable, USB Host cable, software CD, line-in cable, earphones, user manual, screen protectorsx2.

Don't know the prices...sorry :D

Warrenty is 1 year as far as I remember.

:)

Warranty is two years and is what should be for all electronics but most manufacturers tend to ignore this EU regulation :confused: Good ol' Ireland.

Retailers stocking as of tomorrow...

Peats, Parnell St
    Harvey Norman, Swords & Dundalk
    BCool Gadgets, Pavillions, Swords (they actually had the first lot in the country)

Retail prices should be as follows:

X5 20GB - 369.99 (14 hr battery)
    X5L 20GB - 389.99 (35 hr battery, 4mm thicker than standard version)
    X5 30GB - 409.99 (not available here as yet)
    X5L 30GB - 429.99 (35 hr battery, 4mm thicker than standard version)

Cant remember flash players pricing for each model but should be around...

256MB - 129.99
    512MB - 159.99
    1GB - 199 - 209.
    2GB - mad money, wont be available here till flash pricing comes down a bit.

From the clued insider :cool:

hopeful wrote:
    Case is 39.99 See HERE

Box contained the X5, mains charger, subpack, USB cable, USB Host cable, software CD, line-in cable, earphones, user manual, screen protectorsx2.

Don't know the prices...sorry :D

Warrenty is 1 year as far as I remember.

Is there no belt loop on the Noreve case? I have an iAudio case and its much the same from what I can see except white stitching and a belt loop.

It has tags for displaying track, album and artist info. Its just that it will not sort the music by tags itself. There is an option in the menu to display file or tag info on screen.

Felixdhc wrote:
    Is there no belt loop on the Noreve case? I have an iAudio case and its much the same from what I can see except white stitching and a belt loop.

It has a belt clip that attches to a metal 'button' that screws onto the back of the case.

Cool, very fancy indeed :)

• Advertisement

Felixdhc wrote:
    Warranty is two years and is what should be for all electronics but most manufacturers tend to ignore this EU regulation :confused: Good ol' Ireland.

Retailers stocking as of tomorrow...

Peats, Parnell St
    Harvey Norman, Swords & Dundalk
    BCool Gadgets, Pavillions, Swords (they actually had the first lot in the country)

Retail prices should be as follows:

X5 20GB - 369.99 (14 hr battery)
    X5L 20GB - 389.99 (35 hr battery, 4mm thicker than standard version)
    X5 30GB - 409.99 (not available here as yet)
    X5L 30GB - 429.99 (35 hr battery, 4mm thicker than standard version)

Cant remember flash players pricing for each model but should be around...

256MB - 129.99
    512MB - 159.99
    1GB - 199 - 209.
    2GB - mad money, wont be available here till flash pricing comes down a bit.

From the clued insider :cool:

Nice one fdc, some comprehensive info there
    but no M3's :(

Hey Felixdhc if any those players happen to fall off the back of a truck, you know where to send it!! ;)

comet wrote:
    Hey Felixdhc if any those players happen to fall off the back of a truck, you know where to send it!! ;)

Peats, cos i just rang them and they've never heard of 'em!

felix is teh liar, burn teh liar! BURN HEEEMM!! :D

felix is walking down the street with all the iaudios under his arm, suddenly his hunch and limp are gone, he is Keyser Soze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭fletch

Saw the iAudio X5 for sale in the Gadget Shop in the Jervis Centre at the weekend, not sure of the price

lol is all I can say really :D

I did say today, not any specific time. They will be there today, and in the rest of the places I mentioned - its down to the store to then put them out on display and inform all sales staff that they are there!

PS - Bambi, the M3 is no longer available, replaced by the X5 range.

• Advertisement

comet wrote:
    felix is walking down the street with all the iaudios under his arm, suddenly his hunch and limp are gone, he is Keyser Soze

lol :D

iAudio is great, but a tad expensive.

For those reading who just don't have the money, the iRiver H1XX series has taken a dramatic improvement with an open source firmware development (rockbox.org). You will get a 40GB model for about €370. Twice the storage of iAudio of same price. You are really on sacrificing video and colour photo support, usb on the go and a few other little things.

The H1XX now has on the go playlists, 3 second boot up, photo viewer, can play game boy games, gapless playback, crossfade playback, replaygain.org support as well as what it's always had; included lcd remote, optical in/out, 16 hr battery, recording functions etc etc.

To get full info go to www.misticriver.net and ask what you need to know.

I've been looking forward to something as good as the iAudio coming out, but since the news of rockbox I haven't been tempted to spend the extra cash on things I wouldn't really use, although video and colour photo support are really nice, and USB otg too (especially if it IS actually possible to hook up to an external HD). But if these are things you wont be using, you want 40GB, an included LCD remote, and all of the above. Then you may want to consider the iRiver H140. It's available at www.amp3.co.uk and probably a few other places too.

Both are great machines. Also, the H3XX will be experiencing rockbox in the future too which will make that amazing too:) This is video/colour photo compatible too and will work out to be only about €365 from www.mx2.co.uk

Felixdhc wrote:
    PS - Bambi, the M3 is no longer available, replaced by the X5 range.

*drops to knees homer style* Nooooooo!!!! but they were GUN METAL BROWN *sobs*

the guy at peats assured me he'd never heard of iaudios, cowon, or the x5 in the calm tone of voice that one uses when adressing someone who is obviously quite, quite mad. Hopefully hes gonna feel a bit silly by tomorrow :D

Ah guys shush.. shush.... ssshhh.. I've gota good one!!

you should have said..

"For peats sake!!" to him.... no?

oh:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

at last something to compete with the now medieval H1xx series! My brother wants a player and I don't think he believed me when I kept saying my old h120 or a 140 was still the best thing to get. He wanted OTF playlists and gapless which rockbox now has.
    cheap enough on ebay, pity the dollar is back up now
    http://search.ebay.com/iAudio-x5_W0QQsofocusZsoQQsbrftogZ1QQfromZR10QQsacatZ-1QQcatrefZC6QQsargnZ-1QQsaslcZ2QQsadisZ200QQfposZQ5AIPQ2FPostalQQsascsZ2QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQfsopZ3QQfsooZ1QQcoactionZcompareQQcopagenumZ1QQcoentrypageZsearch

• Advertisement
Advertisement