Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighting goldfish

• 19-05-2005 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭

I've had two goldfish for the last year. Recently I got a bigger tank so I could get more fish. I got two more fish and put the four in to the new big tank. But after about two weeks the new fish have started biting the old fish, pulling of fins and tails and chasing them round the tank. The old fish don’t fight back they just try to get away. I've separated them, but I want them all to live in the one tank. Any ideas of what gong on and what I can do would be great. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

are the new fish goldfish too? if its a different species, they might not be compatable. some cichlids are especially aggressive and cant really be kept with other fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭kilasser

They are gold fish. I made sure I got the same type

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

okay im no david attenborough but i do know that the old goldfish mating ritual can be quite rough, with the male fishes chasing & scrapping with the female until she is knackered & stays in the one spot.(which is when the magic happens -they push the eggs out & fertilise 'em!!)
    i had some "fighting" goldfish about 3 years back & was gonna seperate them -then i found the eggs...!!!! :D
    have any of your fish got kind of raised white spots in the gill area?
    this happens to the males when they are "ready to go"you may also notice a kind of "milky" effect in the water.
    of course your new fish might just be jerks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭boroughmal

Yep I reckon you got the nail on the head. I have never known goldfish to kill others in the same tank, but all us males like a bit of rough & tumble.

Advertisement