Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iRiver vs everything else?

• 19-05-2005 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

hi Guys

wanna get an mp3/media player, about 20Gb but dont know much about them. from talking to blokes in shops etc the iRiver seems to be the best. but a lot of my mates have the creatives and they seem to think it's really good. i wanna use it for mass storage bringing files in and out of college etc, so i want something that doesn't need some awkward-ass piece of software to get files on and off it (computers in college wont have the right software, presumably).
    i dont really know if any of this is possible, so maybe ye could tell me.
    from what i can gather the zen is sh1t easy to use, but once you get used to the iRiver, it's excellent. is this true?
    also if i buy online will it work out cheaper?
    a lot of random, very general questions there i know, but maybe you can help me.
    cheers
    j.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Good to see your researching before you buy for a start.

I would suggest the H3XX series for your needs. Media/Music player (plays videos and music, views text etc) will work as an external hard drive, no software needed, simple drag and drop. iRiver is simple to use. If you know how to get to a folder in windows, then you will know how to use the iRiver. People think it's complicated to use because it's more than just a music player and there are allot of options besides just playing music. You will, with almost everything like this, find it cheaper online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

the creative zen touch 20gb requires software to download on to the player, iriver's are plug and play but are more expensive than creative players. buying online will most certainly be cheaper. if i was in your situation id go for the iriver, going for the cheapest player could p1ss you off in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Trip Hazard

I cant say which is the best because i only have one but the iRiver H320 is really good, its 20GB, it has a colour screen for photos etc. its a HDD so no software needed just USB that baby right up to any computer. you can put text files on it aswell so i think it would be perfect for you to bring stuff in and out of college. I only use mine for music but it's good to know the other features are there if i ever need them. Oh And it has a radio too. They have it in Pete's on parnell st for €329 don't know if you'll get it cheaper online but thats a reasonable prize for a 20gb with all the other features. and another thing it doesn't only store mp3 sound files its stores a load of different ones WMA,WAV,OGG, etc etc.

Its A really good piece of machinery and im happy with mine i'm sure you'd be happy if you got one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

www.misticriver.net
    the unofficial iriver site, take a look around the FAQs to see the best bits.

www.amp3.co.uk
    the best seller of the players and nearly the cheapest but their service makes up or any downfall. They also have the vital stats on all the players.

The 3 irivers you can look at are the H300 the H10 and the PMP. All have their advantages, I myself have a PMP and love it to bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I have an iRiver H120. I spent a lot of time researching, and for my needs it's perfect, although I believe they're now discontinued. Anyhoo... I wanted to be able to record gigs and stuff so that was a pro for me, I also wanted radio... another pro. I also wanted easy file transfer, which it has. Lash it in, and you're ready to go. I imagine it's a bit of a steeper learning curve than other mp3 players, but once you know how to use it it's fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I just ordered an iRiver H320, then seen this. I was torn between it and a Zen but looks like I've made the right decision! :)

Yes the H100s are discontinued. The entire range has voice recording and FM radio as standard. There is an advantage to the steeper learning curve, friends cant steal the thing and mess with you playlists etc.

If you have the money, I'd go for this. Could probably be found cheaper elsewhere maybe?

You will get the iRiver H320 delivered for €278 here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

I have a iRiver H320 for about 6 weeks now and am really happy with it. I wish I bought it sooner to be honest instead of sticking with MiniDiscs so long. I would like the battery power to last a little bit longer TBH, but you can charge it from any USB port. So you don't have to drag the charger to college/work/your mates gaff/where-ever.

Or you can go on MR and maplins and make a battery pack from my guide!

Ahh the X5 as yet has not been through its paces properly, and no Cnet etc is not putting it through its paces, considering that they used DB on irivers when they are designed to use filetree.

• Advertisement

Cnet isn't the best for DAP reviews in all honesty though. I think dapreview.net/com/??? is supposed to be good for reviews.

Maplin have battery packs that will work for about €5:)

I'd also like to point out that the only reason you know of iRiver is because they are so good. No advertising or anything, just knowledge. iRiver are only known for MP3, it's not like they've been on the market for years with Macs or soundcards or speaker systems etc like competitors. They have got their name through their MP3 products which is a good sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

They have it in Pete's on parnell st for €329 don't know if you'll get it cheaper online

its 395 on their website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Jimmy

cheers
    yeah i think its actually down to €299 in peats now, was in there yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

H320 here I go along with what Cormie said. But you should be aware that to play videos you have to have them in a special format. Luckily there are programmes already made to do this automatically eg iRiverter.
    http://iriverter.sourceforge.net/index.shtml

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

From what I have read, seen and heard the X5L is the one to go with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

Felixdhc wrote:
    From what I have read, seen and heard the X5L is the one to go with.

One more convert to the darkside :cool:

pauln wrote:
    One more convert to the darkside :cool:

Yup. ;)

BTW, the X5 20GB should be 349 when it gets here. The X5L will be around 30 more.

BTW, the X5 20GB should be 349 when it gets here. The X5L will be around 30 more.
    I hope not, i just forked out €440 to get it from Germany early, €420 ex del.

I hate to say that it will NOT be any more than 360 for the X5! The aim is for it to be less.

Where did you see those prices? It's not to late for me to cancel as it hasn't shipped yet. €50 would buy me the remote controller and docking cradle.

Advanced Mp3 Players have the X5 20Gb at €362 before p&p

This Swedish Site has it at €358 and the 30 Gb X5L at €410

I paid €419 for X5l 30Gb with extra €20 p&p from Germany.

• Advertisement

PM sent to you Pauln

I suppose wait and see is the better option alright, I'll cancel that order until prices stabilise a bit and see what they hit the Irish market at.
    Should only be a few more weeks hopefully and then at least I'll be sure i'm getting the best deal.

Thanks.

Just noticed on the Cowon America website (www.cowonamerica.com) you can download the Jetaudio software FOC! On its way to me now, looks good from the screen shots anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

I like think handy iriverter program, thanx for the link, it converts .mov .avi. mpeg. .wmv to the format supported by the iriver in seconds.

p10101489ve0na.th.jpg

This pic is taken from the American Dad pilot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

I have a H320, which I bought online from Hong Kong. It was cheaper than Peats even after being done for €85 in VAT and import. Have a look at www.warehouse123.com

I have had no problems with my player. It looks the business (better then the iPOD any day) and has alot of features that are a bonus. i.e. Voice recording, tuner, direct tuner recording. USB hosting so you can put your digital photos on it straight from your camera....and best of all a colour screen. You can even watch videos on it with the latest firmware. Thats another bonus....as the iriver people update the firmware its posted on their website and you can update your player with new or improved features......

Advertisement