Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem navigating networks

Options
  • 19-05-2005 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

Ok my laptop is winxp sp2.
    Ive enabled file sharing etc and ran the network wizard.

This is the seventh addition to my network.

This problem is unique to my new laptop, it sounds familiar but if i had it before I cant remember how I fixed it.

When I open my network places and open workroup (yes they are all in workgroup) I cant see any computers, even my own.
    If I try ping computers in cmd (ping "home") nothing happens.

I cant simple type \\"home" in the address bar. I can type \\"laptop" and that works, but when I press "Up" it shows me an empty workgroup??!!

I can type the ip address though and pinging ip address work.
    I can share files and resources using this method.
    But this is awkward and not how windows was designed.

Im well aware of static ip approaches but that ****s with my internet options and this laptop joins other networks regularly.

What exactly is causing this problem, how do I fix it?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Obo

Do you have NetBIOS enabled on the network device?

Select Properties on the device, then Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) > Properties > Advanced > WINS tab.

Advertisement