Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upload speed

• 20-05-2005 1:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

What are normal upload speeds for these new 2048/128 upgrades in Ireland?

I've been trying a lot of d'load/upload tests since I installed IOL BB+ yesterday.
    I'm happy with the d'load results which are always in the region of 200-220 k/sec.
    It's the upload which seems slow as it comes out at around 9-10 k/sec (74kbps)
    Shouldn't 128 up mean upload results of about 14-16 k/sec?

Test done here:
    http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

The absolute maximum 128kb upload can offer is 16KB/s

Of course due to lots of different circumstances this isnt really probable

I get a max of 12KB/s but fluctuates between this speed and 9KB/s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

With ntl cable (not DSL) 2048/200 kbps I typically get upload of 196kbps,

The download is actually higher than spec:

1st 128K took 531 ms = 246840 Bytes/sec = approx 2054 kbits/sec
    2nd 128K took 541 ms = 242277 Bytes/sec = approx 2016 kbits/sec
    3rd 128K took 531 ms = 246840 Bytes/sec = approx 2054 kbits/sec
    4th 128K took 530 ms = 247306 Bytes/sec = approx 2058 kbits/sec

according to this speed test

hth,
    causal

Cable is a different story all together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

I think the upload speed with the dsl providers is bad because its Radsl and it too variable.
    I m from Italy and there with adsl ,256 of up, I used to get 30kb/s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭air

This 20:1 dl:ul ratio is a total joke.
    I work in a company where almost all our traffic is upstream (and we generate quite a lot of it) and we have a 128/2048 eircom p.o.s. dsl connection.
    I'd swap it for a 256/256 in a flash.
    If i want 256 upload I have to upgrade to business plus which is twice the price.
    Total joke.

• Advertisement

Would definately agree with you there. The ratio is way out. Shoule be at the very least 256k up but more like 512k to make it worthwhile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I upload at about 38KB/s.. I'm on NTL however..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

If upload speed are increased, the networks will be swamped with peer to peer filesharers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

air wrote:
    This 20:1 dl:ul ratio is a total joke.
    I work in a company where almost all our traffic is upstream (and we generate quite a lot of it) and we have a 128/2048 eircom p.o.s. dsl connection.
    I'd swap it for a 256/256 in a flash.
    If i want 256 upload I have to upgrade to business plus which is twice the price.
    Total joke.

Company's generally do use more upstream, hence why there is a business package that offers more upstream capability. ADSL is generally not suited for companies that use a lot of upstream bandwidth. If you need more upstream consider getting a SDSL line or wireless connnection which offer larger upstream packages

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

meep wrote:
    If upload speed are increased, the networks will be swamped with peer to peer filesharers

They already are! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Infini wrote:
    They already are! :D
    I have to agree with Infini here. I think most file-sharers are cautious about uploading anyway, considering the legal implications, and the effect on browsing speeds. In France & Germany, 5Mbps synchronous DSL is pretty common, and they allow people to run whatever servers they like, with the obvious exception of copyright infringements. It seems to work for them alright.

Standard RDSL is always going to give you significantly less upload bandwidth, but I agree that the ratio does seem to be fairly out of proportion at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭CrazyOtter

I think it should've gone up to 256 as I find it quite annoying being able to d'load so fast, but barely have enough bandwidth to send a few MB of fotos to friends and family at any reasonable pace. Sending a 2 or 3 MB file through email is as slow as ever.

I wonder if video conferening and and such will fare any better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

It's all down to peoples ignorance. The average joe doesn't know what uploading is, so the majority of their customers are delighted with the new 1mb and 2mb downloads and as long as the majority are happy there's no point in changing. If they were to introduce greater upload speeds for people like us then the average Joe would start to ask whats so special about uploading and before you know it everyone will want better upload bandwidth, which obviously for the likes of Eircom and UTV muppets is not a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭air

The business I work for is in Ennis and Eircom is the only option for BB here.
    The business plus package with 256 up is 89 a month or something but tbh 256 up would still be too slow & I dont think its worth double.

Advertisement