Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using both USB Modem and Wireless Router

• 20-05-2005 2:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi, I'm sure there's a very simple solution to this, but I'm just not seeing it.

Here's my setup: Desktop PC in study, connected to a wireless Netgear router, which is connected to BT Zyxel modem. Wirelessly connect to laptop downstairs.

I have a crap Netgear Wgt624 wireless router that keeps dropping internet connection to both computers and not reconnecting - but still allows network file sharing between the two machines. That's not a problem on the laptop, since I only use it for sharing files from the desktop, but I need the desktop to be connected to the net for ongoing downloads.

So, I had an idea: use the USB connection on the modem for net connection to my desktop, and use the desktop's ethernet connection for hooking up to the wireless router for file sharing with the laptop.

So, here are my results:

I get no net connection while TCP/IP for the wireless router is activated - but file sharing to laptop is fine.

While, on the other hand, I have no file sharing and do have the net when the TCP/IP for the wireless router is deactivated.

Anything I can do to have the net via USB and filesharing with the router?

Any suggestions (other than the obvious- buy a new router) most welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

Ok first things first, RE: the dropped connections, check to see if the router is running the V3 firmware, if not it would be worth trying the update.

This can be sorted out alright but I'll need some more info. So you have the modem connected into the WAN port of the router and the PC connected to the router by cable and a laptop connected to the router wirelessly?
    What operating systems are both running, XP?

The reason your loosing sharing is because without DHCP on, the two computers aren't on the same range/subnet and so can't see each other. Internet generally works because it doesn't care about that and the router acts as a gateway.

Are you wanting to have Internet on the laptop also even when the modem is only USB connected to the PC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 rfoley

Hi Paul

Thanks for getting back to me. Sorry for taking so long to reply - I've been away.

I've tried every firmware update that's come up, beta versions, reverted to old versions, tried out for a couple of weeks, then changed again. All had the same result of disconnecting and failing to automatically reconnect.

I have XP pro on both machines. Laptop is wireless. Up to now my setup was what you described (Zyxel Modem-Wireless Router-Desktop) and working most of the time. The problem has been the internet connection which drops without warning or reason and stays dropped. Incidentally, file sharing between the machines will continue, even though the net is down on both.

CURRENT SETUP:

Desktop is currently online - connected via USB to the Esat modem.

The wireless router is connected to the desktop's ethernet port.

I don't NEED the net on the laptop (it would be nice if possible), but do need to share files and folders between the machines - more specifically I want to play video and audio files that I have downloaded to the desktop on the laptop. I do need the desktop to be online all the time for downloading the files.

I'm thinking I can continue to use my USB connection to allow the desktop to stay online all the time, then file share via the desktop's ethernet connection into the wireless router and onward to the laptop...

What do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

ud be seriously better off just leaving your modem in the wireless router without sticking it directly in. I use my router which connects the DSL for me and its grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 rfoley

Is your router one of these Netgears?

They're a pain in the ass - I'm just trying to find a workaround to my dropping connection problem, not a solution.

I might just go visit Harvey Norman tomorrow...

Advertisement