Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Security / Privacy

• 20-05-2005 6:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭

Can any of you kind people shed some light on the above? Im (hopefully) getting a laptop soon with wifi built in and would obviously like to use this very interesting feature. But how secure is it? I.E. if i connect to a hotspot and surf the web or transfer files am i doing this anonymously? If i send emails could they be "intercepted"? if i log in to a network will they be able to see just a "name" that i have associated with my computer or will they be able to get any other information about me? If i send emails could they see what i have written or if i view a webpage could they see which pages?

As always, any input it greatfully received! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

In short to all of your above questions, Yes. Un-encrypted wireless networks are a mine field. Hotspots should always be treated with care unless some level of encryption is being used.

On another note, there are a few basic rules that are always being broken with domestic wireless setups.

1.) CHANGE THE DEFAULT PASSWORD!! I can't say it loud enough, I don't know how many AP's ive come across that have never had this done. It's just asking for trouble, everyone who wants to, knows these passwords.

2.)Turn off the SSID broadcast. This is handy when you initally setting up the network but once your hardware has it learned there is no need to have it on and it's a invite to everyone in range.

3.)Possibly the most important as far a privacy is switching on some sort of encryption, be it WEP at the most basic and better still WPA if your hardware supports it. WEP isn't perfect and can be broken but most wouldn't bother as it takes a while.

As for general stuff, get a good piece of firewall software (not the one in XP, turn it off once you get something better), try sygate's free version or zone alarm for a more user friendly piece of software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

all I can say is thank you Eircom for your default Netopia setup ...
    Wireless free internet access for the poor

Who needs Ripwave ! (-:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

Sur where would a poor student be without these little things in life :D. Let's not forget a big thanks to our boys in Linksys also!

Advertisement