Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Satnav in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I am getting a Laptop in work.

Is there software available to run on a laptop and an external GPS receiver, of do I need to get a pocket PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Furp wrote:
    I am getting a Laptop in work.

Is there software available to run on a laptop and an external GPS receiver, of do I need to get a pocket PC.
    There's some nice programs out there for laptop/desktops.
    Some will even let you take a jpg or raster map and GPS enable it,

www.handango.com have some nice stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

AlanD wrote:
    co Pilot seems to be the way to go. That and a good Pocket PC which you can use for getting yourself organised as well and you'll never get lost again..

Problem is, I'm on a mac and Pocket PCs are of limited usefulness. A standalone unit would, I assume, be less dependent on having a Windows computer around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Okay, I am getting a bit lost in this. :confused:
    I tried e-bay, but getting a PDA and then getting a mounting kit to match, also a GPS receiver that will integrate, and good comptible software, that is upgradable, and includes reasonable ireland mapping is all wrecking my head. :o

So, can anyone, who has a good knowledge of this recommend something for, lets say €300 to €350? Or is this unrealistically low?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kevmac

CoPilot 7 is the Pocket PC equivalent on the PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Bought a GPS receiver and got it last night. I don't want to buy a pocket PC, as I wouldn't use it for anything else. My car has a built-in TV with a video-in connection in the rear seat area. I bought a Pentium 4 laptop (sans screen) here recently for €80. Ideally I'd like to hook up this laptop to the built-in TV - see my sig for help

Anyway I'm testing the GPS receiver with satnav software using my work laptop. So far I've used below and they all work with my previously unmapped address:

1. Alturion GPS Professional With European Maps v6.0
    2. Garmin Mapsource Metroguide Europe 6
    3. Route 66 Europe 2005

I prefer Route 66 at this stage, but have obviously only very briefly tested the software

Any comments more than welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Okay so on the PDA it seems only Navigon and CoPilot are worth talking about.

I have navigon 4, its grand within the major cities, but outside its pretty much blank.

So, is Navigon 5 or CoPilot better?

It all comes down to maps, maps and maps.

CoPilot 5 uses Navteq maps from April 2004 (and has all the secondary roads outside the cities and main streets and immediate suurounding streets for most large towns) and CoPilot 6 which should be out late summer will use newer ones

I don't know anything about Navigon: what is the date on their their NavTeq maps?

Right I have been doing a bit of surfing and and Garmin's City Select Europe V7 now seems to have the latest NavTeq maps for Ireland

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/cityselectEuro.jsp#

To see how up to date they are you use the Map Viewer button on the right of the page to test coverage of Ireland.

It is more up to date than CoPilot 5 but then again I think Garmin's GPS products are clunky with dated displays.

If this is how good NavTeq's maps are now then I look forward to CoPilot 6 in September

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

what about this?

http://www.****/cartech/webpages/navagationandtracking/mio_Portable_unit/mio.htm?OpenDocument

It's a bit pricy at almost €700 but it's a handy package all the same. Don't know what maps are on it though.

Looking at the Garmin maps, they don't look great. Is this the best that can be got? Will CoPilot 6 be better?

• Advertisement

The maps on the Garmin have more detail on Ennis Co. Clare than my Copilot 5 which, as it is, is pretty good for Clare.

I presume they are more up to date because of the new detail.

That PPC uses useless TeleAtlas maps.

Never buy a SatNav in Ireland - they will totally rip you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

kevmac wrote:
    It all comes down to maps, maps and maps.

CoPilot 5 uses Navteq maps from April 2004 (and has all the secondary roads outside the cities and main streets and immediate suurounding streets for most large towns) and CoPilot 6 which should be out late summer will use newer ones

I don't know anything about Navigon: what is the date on their their NavTeq maps?
    MN|4 has maps from early 2004 (I think). I can't find any way of finding out for definite.

There is a new version called, rather imaginatively, MN|5 which will have newer maps, but they've changed their map licensing structure and scrapped the PC based map export function which is what sold me on it in the first place, so I'm seriously asking myself whether I should upgrade or not.

The Navteq maps on the Garmin website look like sample maps I downloaded for Mapopolis once which are from December 2004, and therefore are probably from Q2 or Q3 2004 Navteq data. The M50 still ends in Ballinteer on these for instance.

A test I use: Do new maps have the Monasterevin bypass on them?

CoPilot 5 DOES have the Kildare town motorway bypass but not the Monasterevin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭themessiah

Where are you all getting the software from . Any ideas as to where to get the GPS software on the cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I'm considernig buying the Garmin Quest. It too uses the CitySelect Europe V7. Anyone have any exerience with this device or the maps? Any recommendations on where to purchase one? Just missed out on picking one up relatively cheaply on eBay.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

Hi Folks,

Because of this thread I bought the CoPilot Pocket PC 5 software and GPS SatNav system for my car. Bought from expansys.ie. Running on HP Ipaq 1945.

So far, very impressed. Have yet to find a fault.

To use the system properly you need to have a car charger for you Ipaq and a car charger comes with the CoPilot GPS unit, so unless you have two or more cigarrett lighter sockets in the car you should buy a cigarrett lighter socket splitter which you can pick up on ebay.

Also I noticed that the sound quality at full voulume from an Ipaq is still quite low so I have picked up an FM transmitter which again plugs into a cigarrett lighter socket and the audio cable plugs straight into the side of you Ipaq. This will mean you can hear the audio instructions through your car stereo system.

If anyone wants more info on the above rig, feel free to pm me.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

back to the top again

so I didn't end up buying a sat nav system cos I figured I knew how to get to places.

But I need to get one now for my Dad. He's not so hot at finding places.

So has anyone got any experience using the Destinator 3 software? I believe it uses Navteq maps which are supposedly the good ones for Ireland.

So usual questions, are most roads, back roads and all included?

I've found a good value package including PDA on Ebay for $350. It's an ACER N35 GPS PDA. Good or bad value?

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭morlan

I have Destinator but I haven't used it outside Dublin yet. The main niggle I have with it is that the M50 at Cherrywood isn't on it, so it suggests routes via the City Centre, which are usless to me as I live out this way!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

AlanD wrote:
    so I didn't end up buying a sat nav system

I did. I'm using a basic Pocket PC with built-in GPS receiver. I'm using Navigon MN5 with 2005 maps from Navteq. Ireland is covered very well

Make sure the Destinator indeed uses Navteq maps and that they are no older than 2005, or the coverage will be limited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

If anyone is looking to buy the Aldi Navigation system that was on sale a few months ago i have a spare one (bought for someone and they didnt want it) unopened still in packaging for €340.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

sandyg wrote:
    If anyone is looking to buy the Aldi Navigation system that was on sale a few months ago i have a spare one (bought for someone and they didnt want it) unopened still in packaging for €340.

Sandyg,
    Yup i'd be interested.
    Did it not sell for €340 though?

S.

Yep. Its still in the plastic film. I have the receipt for it so i can exchange it in Aldi for €340. I was just seeing if anyone wanted it before i did that.

sandyg wrote:
    Yep. Its still in the plastic film. I have the receipt for it so i can exchange it in Aldi for €340. I was just seeing if anyone wanted it before i did that.

Fair nuff.
    Was going to ask if ye had the receipt.
    I'll take it off your hands so! :-)

S.

No probs.

Where you based Sandyg?

I'm in Sandyford/Leapordstown area during the day but go through town on the way home.

Im based in Ballsbridge, Dublin 4 Monday to Friday if thats any use to you?

Hmmm,
    Are ye in town over the weekend at all?

S

Living in Dundalk and working in Dublin im afraid!

sandyg wrote:
    Living in Dundalk and working in Dublin im afraid!

Hmm, might be able to leave work early.
    What time do ye leave Ballsbridge at?

• Advertisement

I dont have it with me. I will bring it into work with me on monday. :)

Advertisement