Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nintendo unveils GameBoy micro

Options
  • 20-05-2005 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

http://www.theregister.com/2005/05/18/nintendo_unveils_micro/

Have nintento lost the plot? Who is going to spend their hard earned cash in Autumn and buy a new handheld that only plays the GB SP and Adv games when the better graphics of the PSP and DS are out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

hmm ive heard about this somewhere before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

....and the world lets out a big yawn :rolleyes:

How many types of gameboys do ppl need ffs??

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Nintendo better get their heads out of their asses or they'll be joining Sega for sure. They might think that they can't lose with this cheap product but they're losing their reputation with general consumers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Why would they go the way of Sega? They are making money.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Walk into a gamestore and look at Nintendo shelf-space. Gamecube has virtually been obliterrated and most stores still have ps1 titles.

Look I like Nintendo but sticking your head in the sand won't make any difference.

They will go the way of Sega when people only know them for their games but instead buy sony and microsoft consoles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Walk into a gamestore and look at Nintendo shelf-space. Gamecube has virtually been obliterrated and most stores still have ps1 titles.

Look I like Nintendo but sticking your head in the sand won't make any difference.

They will go the way of Sega when people only know them for their games but instead buy sony and microsoft consoles.

What are you on about. They are profitable. Thats why they wont go the way sega went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

If Nintendo didn't have the portable market there'd be a risk of them going the way of Sega. But they do. And as good as the PSP is it's not going to kill Nintendo any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I know I wouldn't be able to comfortably fit a DS or a PSP into my pocket.

I'm sure there is a market for a truly portable gaming system. I'm happy enough with my SP though.. that can fit in my pocket well enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

*yawn* I'm not impressed at all by the game boy micro. I think Nintendo want this to be fashion item. In Japan where there are non-tiny amounts of female gamers it might have some success, but I doubt it will have much luck in Europe or North America.

It is kind of ridiculus that they are releasing what is little more than a GBA at this time. In a few months people will walk into game shops and see the PSP and the Game Boy Micro beside each other. It'll be ridiculus.

Show us the next Game Boy, not this rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

ROFL the state of that thing. Jesus that is a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, I actually like the thing, I guess its a nice little machine, will fill a console price bracket currently empty, its got that whole groovy lifestyle design and I will probably but one. that is another one.

If I was a cynical man I counld say that maybe the flip-top design of both the SP and DS, not to mention their abbreviated titles cause some confusion amongst the casual buyer and also lead people to mix the two up or say "Look at those, they're the same", this will differentiate the two machines, if priced low it could be quite a hit, especially with the younger gamers.

How much is a SP now? €100?, €120?, a lower price point is expected by Christmas with the PSP and DS both wanting a large piece of the gamer pie, a cheap handheld that is truly pocket sized could be seen as cool and desirable, especially in the school yard, where I would guess it will be aimed.

I will get one, sad gamer/collector that I am.

You can never have too many different models of gameboy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    You can never have too many different models of gameboy

Ridiculous. People like you are what caused Nintendo to stop innovating and start churning out this kind of crap.

I'd almost accuse them of being as casual towards the Game Boy right now as EA are towards sequels. That's how bad this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

No EA at least make slight improvements in the games. Nintendo have done nothing to this new gameboy except what? Make it smaller?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

NoelRock wrote:
    Ridiculous. People like you are what caused Nintendo to stop innovating and start churning out this kind of crap.

Well thanks there, I see your sense of humour seems to have evaporated.

We have seen, over the last, what, 16 years of Gameboy, 3 different types, Gameboy, Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advance, sure we would all like to see an updated nintendo handheld, but isn't that what the DS is for?
    Don't be so hard on them, with each iteration the Advance gets better to use, whats so wrong with that.
    If you already own a SP then good for you, plenty of good titles still coming out, its like the latter 2 years of snes development with the interesting stuff sparkling on what the masses would consider an outdayed console.

Nice of you to pick the obvious piece of humour in my comment rather than the serious suggestions and opinions I made,
    Maybe its just easier for you to mock.

Don't take it all so seriously for gods sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Jesus you guys are so blind sometimes...

This is obviously being released to appeal to new groups such as the ladies..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

cheesedude wrote:
    No EA at least make slight improvements in the games. Nintendo have done nothing to this new gameboy except what? Make it smaller?

Damn japanese have to keep making things smaller.

kdjac

cheesedude wrote:

sounds familiar? Such as sony's PsOne? which was very succesful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Meh, I'd consider the SNES to be the greatest console of all time (because of its games). The smaller the better. I'd personally buy this over a PSP or DS if I didn't have an SP.

Btw, you don't see Nintendo much in this country, but remember Ireland is small, very small, compared to Europe, America and Japan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Nintendo better get their heads out of their asses or they'll be joining Sega for sure
    and once you set off down the Sega path, forever will it dominate your destiny

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I see it mainly attracting interest in Asia. And maybe for the Ladies as suggested... With a decent price point this could sell pretty well, Nintendo are keen to get non-gamers in on the action, a cheap and un-obtrusive machine with a vast back-cat, pretty colours and fit-in-your-handbag/tight jean pocket size may be just the thing for them.
    I won't buy one, most people with a DS or SP wont either, but there's still a very, very big market out there for people who don't yet game!
    I was hoping Nintendo would make a new GBA with wireless support and maybe some media functions but sadly not, maybe they didn't wan the GBA to interfere with the DS sales too much, instead they want the GBA, GBAm and DS to take different angles of the market and make some kind of wierd pincer-movement on Sony...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

On a completely unrelated note, what's the opposite of a fanboy? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

A yobnaf.

This is exactly what I've been looking for - I have a GBA, I want a backlight but I can't find an afterburner anywhere, I don't like the shape and feel of the SP and I'm not interested in the DS. Noice.

Opposite of fanboy is "Casual Gamer", thats the moron that buys the console with latest wrestling game on it and the one with FIFA too. He has never heard of ISS and wouldn't know a good game if it had big big bells on. Likes newspapers that don't have too many big words and to read them from the back to the front. Probably considers his soccer jersey to be his best item of clothes and insists on weating it to all special occasions such as Funerals, Weddings and new bi-annual releases of FIFA soccer.
    He also has a secret attraction to big sweaty men in lycra who grapple each pther but doesn't tell anyone about it and dreams of 1 litre Nissan Micras with spoilers and big chrome exhaust tips.

Also may be seen in the company of really fat girls who insist on wearing tracksuit bottoms 2 sizes too small with the words "Pussy Cat" or "Sexy Chick" written across the stained arse in worn down pink fake satin.

Or maybe not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Now now, Ciderman. I wouldn't bunch all casual gamers into the above, not at all. It's assuming that only hardcores understand the subtle greatness of Pro Evo, and that if you dont dedicate yourself to games or a machine, you obviously have a horrible opinion in gaming terms.
    The opposite to a fanboy would be someone who doesn't have any preference over any company and just likes good games... either that or someone who doesn't like games at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

On the subject of casuals, I managed to get a customer to buy Pro Evo 4 tonight instead of buying FIFA Street with his PS2... :) I think I did him a favour.

Oh come on, don't so easy on casual gamers, they are the people that keep editions of Need for Speed underground and all the rest of those awful car modding games coming out, they are the people who keep buying every copy of FIFA that gets released. They are the people who didn't buy Ico, Beyond Good and Evil, XIII, Frequency, Toe Jam and Earl 3, Steel Batallion, Samba De Amigo, Space Channel 5, the 3DO (gods I love that machine, I really do so help me!), Star Control 2, Metroid Prime 2, Donkey Konga, Kurushi, Burning Rangers, Nights, The Neo Geo Pocket Color and so on and so on.
    The poor fols are so intent on their own destruction, damaging their sense of good gaming taste on fast food equivalents from EA and the such like, how else did Driver 3 get to number 1? I didn't buy it, did you? this generations Rise of the Robots it is, an embarrasment to us all and if you do own it you should consider yourself crossed off the Hardcore gamers membership list, forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Oh come on, don't so easy on casual gamers, they are the people that keep editions of Need for Speed underground and all the rest of those awful car modding games coming out, they are the people who keep buying every copy of FIFA that gets released. They are the people who didn't buy Ico, Beyond Good and Evil, XIII, Frequency, Toe Jam and Earl 3, Steel Batallion, Samba De Amigo, Space Channel 5, the 3DO (gods I love that machine, I really do so help me!), Star Control 2, Metroid Prime 2, Donkey Konga, Kurushi, Burning Rangers, Nights, The Neo Geo Pocket Color and so on and so on.
    The poor fols are so intent on their own destruction, damaging their sense of good gaming taste on fast food equivalents from EA and the such like, how else did Driver 3 get to number 1? I didn't buy it, did you? this generations Rise of the Robots it is, an embarrasment to us all and if you do own it you should consider yourself crossed off the Hardcore gamers membership list, forever!

crossed of the hardcore gamers membership list FOREVER?!?!? OMGZ what a terrible punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

On the subject of casuals, I managed to get a customer to buy Pro Evo 4 tonight instead of buying FIFA Street with his PS2... :) I think I did him a favour.

Too cool to be a chick to be honest..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

Sico wrote:
    A yobnaf.

This is exactly what I've been looking for - I have a GBA, I want a backlight but I can't find an afterburner anywhere, I don't like the shape and feel of the SP and I'm not interested in the DS. Noice.

you might want to give hobbes a PM last time i checked we never put the afterburner into the second advance, and then he bought an SP so he didnt touch the advances after that.

it may still be floating around our house somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm reporting this to the vatican. I'm sure you will be fast-tracked to sainthood.

Advertisement