Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€3.70 for a ham & cheese sambo!!

Options
  • 20-05-2005 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭

Tell me if I'm being a bit stingy here but is €3.70 for a Ham & Cheese sambo in Centra a bit of a rip-off!! Especially considering the same sambo cost €2.40 a few weeks ago. I complained to the manager of the shop but she thinks it's a reasonable price. She said it's €2.90 for the Ham sambo and 70c for the cheese. 70 fecking cent for a handful of cheese!!!

Anyway my lunch has increased by 33% for no good reason, I won't be going back there again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

and that is why I bring in my lunch every day

Or if you are near Fenian Street, there is a shop that does reasonably priced rolls and sandwiches - their prices are displayed so you know how much you are going to pay even before you buy one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Yeah I bring sandwiches too.

Think of the profit on that?

I know they've a business to run but please!

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

If stupid people like you didnt give in and pay that much then it wouldnt be that expensive.
    If centra weren't selling sambo's @ €3.70 each they would reduce the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If stupid people like you didnt give in and pay that much then it wouldnt be that expensive.
    If centra weren't selling sambo's @ €3.70 each they would reduce the price!

Thats all well and good in theory, but try telling it to a publican.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Aye, we're dopes in the first place paying for it...
    I got a salad in work recently, not much, the usual stuff, and its usually 2 euro's, I get to the till and its 3.40 Eur. I ask if thats the correct price and im told the price on salads has gone up... Fair enough, any justification I say?
    The response was priceless...
    "We weren't charging you enough in the first place"....

She spent the next five minutes separating all the stuff I got and putting it back in the right container...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

And if stupid people like you didn't insult people for no good reason my life would be a happier one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Stix

3.70 is about average for a sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

You should try the shops in Eastpoint Business Park. It's extortion central in this place, or to put it another way, Extortion Centra!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Morgans

Not only was it ridiculously expensive in the first place, they decided to take you for another 10c for fun.

2.90 for the Ham sambo + 70c for the Cheese + 10c cheese-handling charge = 3.70.

Its all too easy for people to say - leave the sandwich at the till, and dont pay. Its far less embarrassing to take the hit once, and never go back.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

For Dublin- 3.70 is pretty run-of-the-mill for a sambo. I wouldn't have any major issue with it. I was charged 7.20 for a ham sandwich and a tepid cup of coffee in Buswells- that was rip-off. What I tend to do these days is simply buy a fresh demibaguette in Dunnes Stephens Green (50 cent) and make my own sandwich. Depending on the filling it can be a lot cheaper- and you get exactly what you want...... Prices are ridiculous....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

"We weren't charging you enough in the first place"....

good old customer service, Irish style :D
    10c cheese-handling charge

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

smccarrick wrote:
    For Dublin- 3.70 is pretty run-of-the-mill for a sambo.

Not for a ham & cheese in a deli. It's take away, there is not even anywhere to sit down. And how come it was €2.40 a few weeks ago? All the other shops in the area are under €3. I will go to them today.

And as for bringing my own lunch in, it just doesn't taste the same. The stuff they use in the deli is nicer.

If stupid people like you...

Shut your trap you muppet.

Morgans wrote:
    Not only was it ridiculously expensive in the first place, they decided to take you for another 10c for fun.

2.90 for the Ham sambo + 70c for the Cheese + 10c cheese-handling charge = 3.70.

Its all too easy for people to say - leave the sandwich at the till, and dont pay. Its far less embarrassing to take the hit once, and never go back.

LMAO!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Try around €5.00 a sandwich in the Hungry Bear in Tallaght. Now Tallaght isnt exactly yuppie central.

I had been forewarned about the cost, but told the sambo's were "amazing". I had thought to myself, mmn, I think I will have some parma ham, some brie and top it off with some pesto, until I saw that the parma wasnt parma. When I bit into my ever so expensive sandwich, I also found that the pesto on my turkey and brie sambo wasnt pesto either.

Now what does one do in a situation like that. Do I go back with a half eaten sambo and say as loudly as I can to the owner "thats not pesto, and that stuff you are passing off as parma isnt parma, and you can refund me and everone else in the queue or I'll have you done for your goods not matching the description on your menu". I like knowing how food should be.

I think I will- next time.

K-

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Not for a ham & cheese in a deli. It's take away, there is not even anywhere to sit down. And how come it was €2.40 a few weeks ago? All the other shops in the area are under €3. I will go to them today.

And as for bringing my own lunch in, it just doesn't taste the same. The stuff they use in the deli is nicer.

Buy the more expensive ham / random filling from the super market or health store or whatever. It will taste a lot better.

Don't buy brennans bread or any muck like that. Buy bread from a bakery.

Shut your trap you muppet.

Who are you calling a muppet, all im doing is pointing out that the reason prices in ireland are so high for everything is because people don't shop around and they just pay whatever price is put in front of them.
    If i ran a sandwich shop and i was charging €2 per sandwich and then realised that nearly all people would pay €5 per sandwich i wouldnt think twice about upping the price :)

Kell wrote:
    Try around €5.00 a sandwich in the Hungry Bear in Tallaght. Now Tallaght isnt exactly yuppie central.

I had been forewarned about the cost, but told the sambo's were "amazing". I had thought to myself, mmn, I think I will have some parma ham, some brie and top it off with some pesto, until I saw that the parma wasnt parma. When I bit into my ever so expensive sandwich, I also found that the pesto on my turkey and brie sambo wasnt pesto either.

Now what does one do in a situation like that. Do I go back with a half eaten sambo and say as loudly as I can to the owner "thats not pesto, and that stuff you are passing off as parma isnt parma, and you can refund me and everone else in the queue or I'll have you done for your goods not matching the description on your menu". I like knowing how food should be.

I think I will- next time.

K-

:rolleyes:
    A bleedin sandwich is a sandwich, il tell ya what my sandwichs are 'super amazing' call into my house on your lunch break and il make you one there only €10 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Who are you calling a muppet, all im doing is pointing out that the reason prices in ireland are so high for everything is because people don't shop around and they just pay whatever price is put in front of them.
    I agree with this. If everyone took their business to the cheaper place (even a marginally cheaper place) then gradually prices would have to come down. Just complaining about something is not sufficient; you have take your business elsewhere. Most people don't care sufficiently though and so we have the high prices.

Buy the same stuff they use in the deli :rolleyes:
    rocket science = negative

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Stekelly wrote:
    Thats all well and good in theory, but try telling it to a publican.

I coulda sworn the publicans were complaining about a fall-off in business even before the non-smoking ban came in.

Seems to me people have told them: "shove your exorbitant rates. I'll find alternative ways to fill my spare time."

Yes, there is an inconvenience cost in making your own lunch....just as there is in not going to the pub. You decide when that cost is worth paying.

Until then....complaining that other people are charging too much is dumb, because its still within the bounds of what you're willing to pay for what you get.

If you're willing to pay it, then they're not overcharging you.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I think one of the problems in Ireland is that we're all led to believe that we're super dynamic important people (Celtic Tiger and all that, more BMWs than Berlin etc.) and our time is extremely valuable; too valuable to be spending it making sambos. We're so successful that we don't care where we buy our hang sangwidges. People are embarrassed to be seen trying to save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

SkepticOne wrote:
    I think one of the problems in Ireland is that we're all led to believe that we're super dynamic important people (Celtic Tiger and all that, more BMWs than Berlin etc.) and our time is extremely valuable; too valuable to be spending it making sambos. We're so successful that we don't care where we buy our hang sangwidges. People are embarrassed to be seen trying to save money.

Very well said. Umm I'd love a ham and cheese sambo ryt now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Tell me if I'm being a bit stingy here but is €3.70 for a Ham & Cheese sambo in Centra a bit of a rip-off!! Especially considering the same sambo cost €2.40 a few weeks ago. I complained to the manager of the shop but she thinks it's a reasonable price. She said it's €2.90 for the Ham sambo and 70c for the cheese. 70 fecking cent for a handful of cheese!!!

Anyway my lunch has increased by 33% for no good reason, I won't be going back there again.

Make your own lunch;
    1; It's 100% cheaper than €2.40
    2; You don't waste time waiting to be served
    3; You know where the food has been and how many times it's been dropped on the floor

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Loaf of Bread - 1.50
    Block Of Cheese - 2.50
    Cucumber - 1 euro

Bam, sambo's for a week

I'm in Dundalk, and the nearby Deli (Connollys - Old SC) charged me 4.50 for a Chicken Salad Sambo.

Yeah i payed for it then, cause i was hungry, but no never again.

The only sambo's ill buy are Tesco's which are usually 2euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I dunno...I was in a Spar in Lr Abbey St the other morning and got a superb breakfast roll for €3.60. It took me almost 10 minutes to get it down. Excellent value.
    However strolled over to the Cuisine de Farce pastry stand and laughed at them wanting €1.50 for a bun consisting of puff pastry, hot air and a few nuts...I mean it's not that long since you could buy a good quality bun for about 50p...better than that precooked muck anyhow...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

bazH wrote:
    Loaf of Bread - 1.50
    Block Of Cheese - 2.50
    Cucumber - 1 euro

Bam, sambo's for a week

I'm in Dundalk, and the nearby Deli (Connollys - Old SC) charged me 4.50 for a Chicken Salad Sambo.

Yeah i payed for it then, cause i was hungry, but no never again.

The only sambo's ill buy are Tesco's which are usually 2euro

Ah now though.. The Coleslaw in Connolly's is savage though!! You have to admit that!! The Deli beside the Windmill Pub is great value.. Normally costs about 3 euro for a substantial (chicken, ham, coleslaw and cucumber) and very tasty roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

SkepticOne wrote:
    People are embarrassed to be seen trying to save money.

Bam.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

hang sangwidges

can't beat them hang sangers!!

Seriously make your own. then you could have all the tasty fillings you like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You should try the shops in Eastpoint Business Park. It's extortion central in this place, or to put it another way, Extortion Centra!
    The shop behind-right of the NTL building ain't that bad.
    Buy the cheapest sh|t possible... and you'll find it tastes like the Deli stuff. You think they're gonna get the most expensive stuff, or something?
    SkepticOne wrote:
    I agree with this. If everyone took their business to the cheaper place (even a marginally cheaper place) then gradually prices would have to come down.
    Example of this would be Tesco's petrol in Maynooth. Cos they've kept it lowish, all of the other lcal pumps have also kept it lowish. Go too far from Maynooth, and you'll see that the rest of the pumps are charging nearly 10cents more.
    Wertz wrote:
    I mean it's not that long since you could buy a good quality bun for about 50p...better than that precooked muck anyhow...
    The place in Heuston Station sells yummy scones. Its the place on your right, when you come in the front door of the Station. Also, IIRC, they ain't that badly priced (the scones are big + filling).

=-=

For me, the place TopShop shop down a bit from Conyngham Road Garage, on the other side of the road, does nice food.

=-=

For a super-yummy breakfast role, there used to be (dunno if its still there) a place that did a HUGH breakfast role, for a farliy good price, on the back of Pearse Street garda station. You had to wait tho, as the food was cooked there and then(unlike the cooked-at-7am-role-that-your-getting-at-11am role is Spar, etc). The smell of the cooking would make you even more hungry.

Its only open in the morning, IIRC, closing at 12 noon, or 1pm. I'll find out one of these days.

/edit
    The place I'm thinking of is below the "w" of "Townsend" in the picture.

Advertisement