Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€3.70 for a ham & cheese sambo!!

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

If you're ever in santry of a morning there's a great shop at the end of shanliss road beside the estate agents called Sarah's.It does a breakfast roll(2 sausages,2 pudding,2 rashers,one fried egg for 3.60 and its been that price for ages.Also if you want a bit of fried tomato or whatever as well they dont charge you for it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

best thing to do is batch process for sangers.

get the bestest gear you can. Savage HAM, cheese, coleslaw, phat bread.

instead of just making a sanger a night, make 3, maybe 4 on Sunday before the week and bang the rest in zippy bags in the fidge. They stay fresh you youl have yourself anything from 50 -80 yo yo's a week, have better sambos and no Q'ing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

Yes there is difference between ham&cheese sandwiches. If one is used to eating easi-singles, picnic ham, sloppy coleslaw, egg mayonnaise and that is what a Spar or centra offer fine but a small individually owned sandwich bar usually offers a more tasty version although cheddar cheese in a large catering block is merely that. Have you ever seen the tubs of mayonnaise and coleslaw been delivered to these places ? Generally the same everywhere. A lot of the petrol stations offer sambos anything up to €4.85 for a white bread tasteless sandwich.

My favourite: the sandwiches at Avoca, Kilmacanogue in particular ~ €5 each. Bread baked on site, salads all home made, homemade pesto, real ham, real turkey, real parma ham. Cheaper take away in Suffolk Street for about 3.85. Now i know which I would prefer !

Oh yeah Gruel on Dame Street do a mean roll which changes every day depending on their roast of the day. I think they can be up to €6.30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Got a chicken salad roll for €2.70 in Spar on Westmoreland street yesterday which surprised me.Didn't think you could buy a sandwich for less than €3 these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

get the bestest gear you can. Savage HAM, cheese, coleslaw, phat bread.
    slammin' cheese?
    phresh coleslaw?
    or should one just use common or garden variety products?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I was in Cafe Le Monde last week and they are charging €7.95 for a ham and cheese toastie! OK - you get a handful of Hunky Dorey's with it which makes it good value I suppose ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

You should try the shops in Eastpoint Business Park. It's extortion central in this place, or to put it another way, Extortion Centra!

Ahh memories I use to work there, Does ol Centra still have a monopoly?? I can only imagine what they must be charging now.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭biggles007

If stupid people like you didnt give in and pay that much then it wouldnt be that expensive.
    If centra weren't selling sambo's @ €3.70 each they would reduce the price!
    While Paddy is stupid enough to pay, the price of everything will keep going up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 iand

firstly did you have a sandwich with parma ham or was it a turkey sandwich--they are actually different ??
    all our parma ham is sliced off the bone by hand two or three times a week and is one of the finest parma hams available in ireland.
    secondly the pesto you mentioned was actually a dressing made from fresh pesto and mayonaise as we found our customers prefered the milder taste and this is why it is called pesto dressing and not fresh pesto on our menu.
    fresh pesto is available and all you have to do is ask.
    also as for the cost of our sandwiches you failed to mention that at least half of them are priced at €4.15 each and they are made from home cooked ham and beef and the bread is also baked fresh every night and all the sandwiches are made to order.
    so if you care to come in again and are not happy with what you get grow a set of balls and come up to the owner (thats me) and say so rather than hiding behind your computer and moaning about it !
    Kell wrote:
    Try around €5.00 a sandwich in the Hungry Bear in Tallaght. Now Tallaght isnt exactly yuppie central.

I had been forewarned about the cost, but told the sambo's were "amazing". I had thought to myself, mmn, I think I will have some parma ham, some brie and top it off with some pesto, until I saw that the parma wasnt parma. When I bit into my ever so expensive sandwich, I also found that the pesto on my turkey and brie sambo wasnt pesto either.

Now what does one do in a situation like that. Do I go back with a half eaten sambo and say as loudly as I can to the owner "thats not pesto, and that stuff you are passing off as parma isnt parma, and you can refund me and everone else in the queue or I'll have you done for your goods not matching the description on your menu". I like knowing how food should be.

I think I will- next time.

K-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

Now what does one do in a situation like that. Do I go back with a half eaten sambo and say as loudly as I can to the owner "thats not pesto, and that stuff you are passing off as parma isnt parma, and you can refund me and everone else in the queue or I'll have you done for your goods not matching the description on your menu"

I think she was pretty clear it was turkey?

yes she should have said it then and there but its quite difficult to do in the middle of the lunch rush because then everyone is held up.

Do you bake the bread yourselves? Thats pretty impressive if you do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement