Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***** Read Me - New Rules ****

Options
  • 20-05-2005 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭

Ok, this type of board is a community based around a Place rather then a specific topic, so there's bound to be a lot of of semi off-topic / bantery type threads.

This is grand, what isn't ok is spammy, pointless threads, and either are personal attacks. Even if you think a thread is rubbish, personal attacks are not the answer, reporting the post will be far more effective.

Up until now I've left stupid threads and only taken action when someone explicitly broke the rules. From now on I will also be taking action when I see a thread thats rubbish. If you post what I deem to be a spammy, pointless thread, I'll ban you for at least three days.

Regarding appeals, If you think I've been to harsh, thats fine, perhaps I have. If you PM me appealing any decision i make with a valid argument made in a civil manner, I will consider it. If you're rude about it, no matter how good your point is, I'll most likely extend your ban.

Finally, this is already in the charter but If you are banned from this board, you have to remind me of when your ban has expired because I probably won't remember. Again when doing this it helps to be civil about it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

perhaps an example of a "pointless" thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Anything I've previously moved to the thunderome - i.e. "x in 2 words"

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Lisapeep

Surely we should be allowed to make this UCD board whatever we want it to be? I thought it was a board FOR UCD people, not ABOUT UCD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Lisapeep wrote:
    Surely we should be allowed to make this UCD board whatever we want it to be? I thought it was a board FOR UCD people, not ABOUT UCD!

well then why do non-UCD people continually post here.....yes Kevin i'm looking at you. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Stix

How about being somewhat diplomatic and if more than 5 people complain that a thread is bull or request that it is locked then the mod in question can take it into account.

Alternatively - if you arent sure whether you are being too harsh, throw it out to the people. Im sure you know who the regulars are.

It works well on another forum i use.

• Advertisement

peacheh:

truckle:

sorry never noticed those.

Stix wrote:
    Alternatively - if you arent sure whether you are being too harsh, throw it out to the people. Im sure you know who the regulars are.

Or else elect a second mod...a second mind isn't always needed, but I'm sure there are times it would come in handy.

peacheh for mod.

or myth.

or sangre.

Lisapeep wrote:
    I thought it was a board FOR UCD people, not ABOUT UCD!

I don't think you read the first line of my first post, did you.

Myth wrote:
    Or else elect a second mod...a second mind isn't always needed, but I'm sure there are times it would come in handy.

"elect"

Appoint is the word.

This will probably happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

If you stick by the rules (they're not exactly difficult) there'll be no need for all this "We need more mods" and "You're unfair" banter. All he seems to be asking for is a bit of common sense from people who are supposedly intelligent (in some form or other).

It's not like he's asking you to not scratch your balls in public! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

christ almighty.

who actually reports a thread/post that is off topic or dull???

why do they do this? is it effecting them in any way?

if i read a stupid or boring thread, i just stop reading but i dont mind if its there as others might find it interesting.

i hate this laying down of the law crap i see on boards.ie so often by faceless individuals (no offence Tuckle). whats the point? surely we are just here for the laugh, the craic...of course if people start making personal attacks on others, they should be 'regulated', but it just wrecks the buzz when you have a teacher figure telling grown adults what is and is not a 'pointless thread'.

am i making any sense?

"elect"

Appoint is the word.

This will probably happen.

Appoint indeed. I forgot about the benevolent dictatorship briefly there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

ferdi wrote:
    christ almighty.

who actually reports a thread/post that is off topic or dull???

why do they do this? is it effecting them in any way?

if i read a stupid or boring thread, i just stop reading but i dont mind if its there as others might find it interesting.

i hate this laying down of the law crap i see on boards.ie so often by faceless individuals (no offence Tuckle). whats the point? surely we are just here for the laugh, the craic...of course if people start making personal attacks on others, they should be 'regulated', but it just wrecks the buzz when you have a teacher figure telling grown adults what is and is not a 'pointless thread'.

am i making any sense?

Yes you do make lots of sense and most people would agree with you but if there are rules/regulations laid down people should abide by them.

Boards is extremely strict in comparison to other message boards I regularly post on. I don't like some of the OTT rules but considering so many people are registered on this website, if people are allowed post whatever crap they wish all over the place it would ruin the website. I'm registered on some football and music message boards and there is no regualtion of them. So much rubbish and flame wars develop it turns me off the respective websites.

The problem of moderating certain message boards is what is deemed as pointless/spam. It is impossible for any thread to stick to the point. One little comment about anything can change the shape of a thread and lead it to an entire different road. We all could deem something to be pointless but some others wouldn't. It's all about personal opinion at the end of the day. What I would say is if you don't like a thread or think its pointless, don't read it!

Zane for mod. i like his style.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Lisapeep

So much rubbish and flame wars develop it turns me off the respective websites.

Indeed, but we do not seem to have that problem here on the UCD board, so why are stricter measures being drafted in?

What I would say is if you don't like a thread or think its pointless, don't read it!

I agree! The moderator should get rid of offensive threads ONLY, not pointless threads, because they are subject to personal opinion on what is or isn't pointless!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

yeah i have to agree with only getting rid of abusive threads, i dont post much on ucd boards but read them a lot because i can relate to even the pointless ones (eg about D4 heads). Almost anything that is any more serious has another home, for example education etc.

People post on the UCD one for a laugh, not to be serious. Lets keep it that way. There hasnt been a particular problem with trolling so why do we need a change in the charter?

Also no offence to truckle as the moderator but i thought the point of na online community was that charters wernt decided by one person. I think a change in the charter should at least be discussed by (for example) the 10 most frequent posters rather then a unliateral decision by one moderator.

Its a matter of keeping the signal to noise ratio down, there are a lot of threads here that stray hopelessly away from the topic started, and thats fine, because the thread isn't spiralling into a flame war or strings of inane postcount++ type efforts.

I'm happy to deal with any problems you have with this on a case by case basis, because as it stands some people have taken it that I'll just delete anything that doesnt interest me, which is not what I'm doing and something which i have never done. (To clarify, I can find things uninteresting but neither spammy nor pointless, so those threads would be fine.)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

AFAIK Disk Space isn't all that expensive nowadays. I'd say leave the so-called pointless ones and just get rid of the offensive ones (as well as anybody who posts as an SU-bot).

What's a real pointless thread anyway? I'd say only one with zero replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Red Alert wrote:
    What's a real pointless thread anyway? I'd say only one with zero replies.

Bingo.

Except that sometimes such a pointless thread will then receive a huge number of replies purely along the lines of:
    "Troll"
    "Don't feed the Troll"
    "God-this-is-such-a-pointless-thread-I-don't-even-know-why-I'm-replying-to-it"
    and
    "Could everyone stop replying to this thread? It's not going anywhere!"

Personally I like the regulations on boards, and their enforcement by mods. I don't find it particularly strict, and yeah, I do get kinda p*ssed wit Trolls and f**king pointless Threads that are just a waste of space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ditto. I have quite a low spam tolerance so the rules here suit me just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

sangre for mod!

sangre would just ban everybody :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

No he said before that he'd only ban people who didn't have more than 5 friends! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

The man's a GENIUS!

I vote Sangre for Mod. We need to be ruled by someone with an iron fist, and only a total b*st*rd like himself fits the bill!

Is there a popular uprising starting here?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

If I saw any CTYI style posts I would RUIN THEIR SHÍT.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Myth wrote:

indeed.

*cracks knuckles*

Advertisement