Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Encounter at farpoint question.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭scoey

Last laugh = me

LOL

Anyhoo - back to the topic. Wesley crusher, any mention of what became of him in the Star Trek timeline while the rest of the characters were busy at their splorin'?

Didn't he discover he had magical powers of some sort with the help of "The Traveller" and go off to develop said powers?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ro: maaan! wrote:
    Well delivered, I must say.

thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

ye just 1 of the many holo deck rpoblems in fact i remember a episode dont i where piccard got hit wioth a snow ball as he waslked past the holodeck 1 came out the door or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

User45701 wrote:
    ye just 1 of the many holo deck rpoblems in fact i remember a episode dont i where piccard got hit wioth a snow ball as he waslked past the holodeck 1 came out the door or something?

the holo-projectors can project outside the door , while its open, so snowball could have happened but should dissapear when the door closes..

as for Wesley...he should have dried out when he walked away....

i would say food is replaced, but nothing else....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

jhegarty wrote:
    as for Wesley...he should have dried out when he walked away....
    Then why does Wesley say to captain Picard "I'll get a towel" if its just going to disappear when the doors close?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

rkm wrote:
    Then why does Wesley say to captain Picard "I'll get a towel" if its just going to disappear when the doors close?

he should have dried out... but he didn't ... that was a mistake...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

OK time for me to put on my Nerd suit.

Ok i have the Next gen tech manual, TOS tech manual and all the nitpickers guides ;P

yes it was a plot oversite plain and simple .

I was going to post a big long technical explaintion of why it is impossable but no one has asked for it and i'm busy at work.

if you want one let me know and i'll see what technobabble i can come up with ;P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

User45701 wrote:

Why is it a problem? just accept that large holodeck have a built in replicator that can create real thing's like paper water snow etc and simulates large objects like buildings, cities, ships, people etc its not beyond federation technology so there’s no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

We've also seen the "de-replicator" in Voyager when Janeway asks Chakotay to "recycle" something.

Holographic people definitely can't walk off the holodeck as you can't replicate a person. But I imagine water and snow would be easier to replicate than to simulate. Imagine the effort required to get the sensation of water soaking into your clothes just right when using holographic technology as opposed to replicator technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Stark wrote:
    We've also seen the "de-replicator" in Voyager when Janeway asks Chakotay to "recycle" something.

Holographic people definitely can't walk off the holodeck as you can't replicate a person. But I imagine water and snow would be easier to replicate than to simulate. Imagine the effort required to get the sensation of water soaking into your clothes just right when using holographic technology as opposed to replicator technology.

I don't think Quark would be happy to hear that seeing as how he makes a fortune from some of the more "adult" holoprograms :) They must be doing something right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah I was thinking that myself. Maybe they replicate the "important bits". God wouldn't that be a nightmare if the dereplicator facility malfunctioned :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Ok people as much as I love Star Trek it's fiction... it doesn't have a logical explaination. This has been debated over and over again and aint gonna resolved any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Yes sir Mr. Officer.
    Nothing to see here, move along folks, no talking allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

The way I picked it up was at the begining of TNG it was explained that the holodeck was a technological advancement built on the same principals as the replicator and transporter.

This was later shafted and replaced with the the idea of ligh, energy, photons and force fields.

That the writes decided to change this is a good thing, they shouldnt be lambasted for inconsistancy but rather applauded for having the good sense not to cling to a flawed idea.

And BTW, they actually do care about why and how things work. That was the brilliance of Star Trek, there were reasons and consistancy, even if every problem could be solved by rerouting power through the main deflector dish :)

Advertisement