Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pay increase Vs further education

Options
  • 20-05-2005 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Its that time of year again when we throw ourselves at the mercy of an annual performance review. Mine went reasonably well and I expect to get 3-4% pay increase. However I am trying to negotiate with the HR dept to fund some continuing education instead (course cost 3k more than pay increase). Yeah got all the benefits about increasing productivity cross training advantages to the team……….but what are the hard cash saving (if any ) to the company to take the education option over the pay increase. Any ammunition to fight my battle greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

What's wrong with asking for both? Pay increase is based on past performance? Course is for future personal development which should lead to increased productivity for you and the company.
    I'd expect some conditions on getting course fees such as if you leave within 1 year of completing the course, you repay the fees to company. They might also only pay after you've produced transcripts at end of the academic year.

Also check into study leave: 1 day per exam, 1 day's study leave. Depends on number of exams. Or will you be expected to take annual leave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

waz wrote:
    but what are the hard cash saving (if any ) to the company to take the education option over the pay increase. Any ammunition to fight my battle greatly appreciated.
    No PRSI or pension costs for the employer to pay on the additional income - training expenses are probably tax-deductible for your employer.

Advertisement