Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

utv's NO OBLIGATION FREE TRIAL! - is it realy free?

• 20-05-2005 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hi, like alot of you guys here, i'm waiting for smart telecom.

could i avail of utv's free 3 month offer in the meantime?

http://u.tv/utvclicksilver/

there has to be a catch, c'mon tell me the catch someone.

it cant be as easy as using free internet for 3 months, then saying by by, and moving to smart..............

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭seanogal

paperclip wrote:

it cant be as easy as using free internet for 3 months, then saying by by, and moving to smart..............

It appears to be as you say.You cannot have had broadband on your line before.You have to use them for your calls.I can't see any catch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

paperclip wrote:

I stayed on past the 3 months but I can tell you that I asked them could I have a discount on the installation fee if i sent back the modem. I told them I had tried it out and didn't like it and didn't want it. They told me I couldn't because I had opened the packaging!! I asked them how am i mean't to try it out without opening the packaging and she just said they would have to pay to get it repackaged. That got me thinking, what if i decided I didn't want to take up their broadband at all and was sending back the modem and going elsewhere. Would they have told me the same c*rap? Basically don't trust them, make sure you cancel your direct debit after you tell them you're not going to take it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

there is a €99 installation fee if you keep it on after the free trial. I find that a bit of a swizz....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i've already registerd with smart, this shouldn't be a problem should it?

also, if i registered with utv to get the 3 month free trial, and then left them for smart, would i have to re register with eircom and then register with smart?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

more than likely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

rymus wrote:
    more than likely

I had UTV for the three month trial with absolutely no problems. Gave it back because of the €99 self-install!!?? Absolutely no problem with their telephone service (which I kept). It's fantastic value. Moved to NTL for BB - no connection fee + 1 Meg for €25 per month. It's a no brainer. :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I had UTV for the three month trial with absolutely no problems. Gave it back because of the €99 self-install!!?? ....
    RuggieBear wrote:
    there is a €99 installation fee if you keep it on after the free trial. I find that a bit of a swizz....

In fairness to UTV €99 (or most of it anyways) is a fee they have to pay to Eircom for the initial connection at the exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

dub45 wrote:
    In fairness to UTV €99 (or most of it anyways) is a fee they have to pay to Eircom for the initial connection at the exchange.

fair enough...just another reason to hate eircon:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Eircom strikes again! Always finding new ways to rob our money. :mad:

• Advertisement

Infini wrote:
    Eircom strikes again! Always finding new ways to rob our money. :mad:

If you are going to bash Eircom at least be rational. Connecting someone up for broadband requires labour - people have to be paid to do work - there is administration involved etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

dub45 wrote:
    If you are going to bash Eircom at least be rational. Connecting someone up for broadband requires labour - people have to be paid to do work - there is administration involved etc etc.

Yeah - but don't NTL send a crew out to your house....and do the install FREE?? :D

Yeah - but don't NTL send a crew out to your house....and do the install FREE?? :D

That is NTL's choice. The point I was making stands there is work involved that's a real cost. Passing it on is not a 'new way to rob our money'.

For another example Irish Broadband usually have an installation charge although they currently have a special offer up to June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Dr_MalPractice

seanogal wrote:
    It appears to be as you say.You cannot have had broadband on your line before.You have to use them for your calls.I can't see any catch.

In theory, you have to use them for calls. in reality, you don't. We've had it for just over 2 months, cancelled it in writing and returned the creative broadband blaster modem they supplied. almost a week later, and we're still waiting to get our account cancellation number, so that we can move to a 2mb down, 128k up, 24gig cap service with BT. i have to say i can't fault UTV for quality of service, and we haven't had to pay them a cent. did have to fork out 130 euros to eircon just to get the phone line installed, and bi monthly line rental. but thats one of those things you have to face up to.

in fairness to eircom though, ireland has had one of the best call connections in the world for a long time. :) when was the last time you were connected to a number that wasn't the one you dialed? in the late 90's, italy had a connection rate of only about 54%. imagine only getting the number you dial on every other call. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

paperclip wrote:
    also, if i registered with utv to get the 3 month free trial, and then left them for smart, would i have to re register with eircom and then register with smart?

I did a similiar thing to yourself paperclip. I dropped the Eircom free trial after 3 months and went with Digiweb. Altogether it took about 3-4 weeks for eircom to remove their instance of broadband of my telephone line and for Digiweb to activate theirs. There where no additional charges either :).

The only thing to be weary about is that you probably won't get a free trial with smart telecom or any other broadband provider after you have already had broadband with another ISP for free. :(

I suppose it has to be enforced cuz otherwise we'd all be jumping to different providers.

Digiweb, by the way, IMO, seem to have a better / more reliable/ faster connection than eircom! i can get a 120kbs upload with digiweb and was only hitting 90kbs with eircom on a 512kb package.

cool, thanks for replies

Advertisement