Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The GreAYt Outdoors

Options
  • 20-05-2005 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Well, like many gay men I'm not one for sports as such, I hate any sport involving a ball. However I do like the outdoors, I love hiking and hill climbing and the scenery in Ireland and I rather like the idea of scuba diving.

There is a gay scuba diving club in the UK and alot of other countries too, I discovered, and I just wonder are there any/many other gay people out there who would be interested in it. I mean going deep under water is something you want to be doing with people your comfortable with and trust and yes I know it's my own insecurities etc but I would not feel comfortable joining one of the Irish scuba diving clubs, because undoubtedly the majority of fellas will be macho...

So what is there in this country for gay guys outside of the pub culture and the scene??? I'm not saying anything about the scene or pub culture, we're alot further on than a few years ago... anyway would love to hear what ye'all think...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I wouldn't be interested in scuba diving but certainly some manner of club off of the scene would make a welcome change of pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There's the Rainbow Ramblers down in Cork.

Not sure about Dublin, but I'm sure you'll find something in the listings.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I wouldn't think scuba diving is that macho tbh. My dad was very heavily involved with scuba diving in Ireland, even to the extent of running the country's main scuba diving club, and he's not the "rarrr" macho sort either. Maybe give it a shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Lots of girls involved in scuba diving, and Amnesiac_ie from these boards is into scuba diving.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Check out the Scuba forum also:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=344

Boards also has an Outdoors Pursuits board:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=430

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Walking/hiking group based in Dublin

http://www.esatclear.ie/~gay-hiking/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement