Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do Chinese use keyboards to display their words?

Options
  • 20-05-2005 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

Can anyone explain with the multitude of characters how do Chinese/Japanese use keyboards to type the words they want.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Um, i've never really used one, but from what I saw each key has a different radicals and then you combine these radicals to make a character. But it's very hard to learn to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

http://i5.ebayimg.com/02/i/00/65/36/37_1.JPG

Yoink. I assume it goes by radicals for the characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mumdmeie

Using the radicals is one of the many ways to input chinese from the keyboard. Most of the people who knows pin yin would use pin yin to input the chinese, which is about the same as the alphabets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Contradirony

mumdmeie wrote:
    Using the radicals is one of the many ways to input chinese from the keyboard. Most of the people who knows pin yin would use pin yin to input the chinese, which is about the same as the alphabets.

Yeah, pin yin's basically the phonetic version of mandarin. It uses the alphabet as we know it but it's not 100% same pronounciation-wise, though very close. It's really handy if you can read and speak the language but not great with the writing (like myself).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Shing

People who actually know how to write Chinese enter characters as strokes. This means that they will definitely end up with the intended word.

By entering using "pin yin", it is less reliable since some words sound alike phonetically. Plus, it's phonetic with regards to Mandarin as opposed to the other possible Chinese dialects.

Regards,
    Wai Shing

• Advertisement
Advertisement