Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student, Best "Pay as you Go" package?

Options
  • 20-05-2005 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Ok so I'm looking for some advice. I'm a third level student and my Vodafone "Ready to Go" phone just seems to be a bottom-less pit as far as credit goes I can't afford it most of the time.

Eventhough there's only three operators I'm finding it hard to see the wood for trees as far as which is the best value.

What "Pay as you go" package are people on and how does it compare to the Vodafone "Ready to go" package?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Pre-Pay Meteor Anytime Plus

Meteor Anytime Plus

Do you like to use your phone at anytime throughout the day or night? If so then Meteor Anytime is for you. Regardless of what number you are calling, mobile or landline, you pay one great rate giving you a saving of up to 69%.

Call Type Same rates
    24 hours a day
    Meteor - Meteor 20c

Text Message (ROI) 9c

Voicemail FREE

Meteor - Landline
    (ROI) 20c

Meteor - other networks
    (ROI) 20c

All calls to landlines & mobiles in the UK cost 50c.

All prices are VAT inclusive. Per second billing applies. All prices shown apply to the Meteor service only.
    Special services and premium numbers excluded - see Other Call costs for details.

line

arrow Meteor Leisure Time Plus: Pricing details
    arrow Existing Meteor Customers with plans prior to August 23rd can view details of their plans here

arrow Keep your phone Our SIM only offers
    arrow Keep your number Make the move to Meteor
    arrow Pay Later plans
    arrow International Call Rates
    arrow Directory Enquiry, Premium rate numbers…
    arrow MMS & GPRS Charges

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm on Speakeasy Early Bird. I've saved so much money ringing people during college. Also the webtexts are great and the little address book makes them so convenient...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

i use o2, maginally cheaper than vodafone, especially if you text a lot. you can get 200 texts a month for 15 euro to any network. meteor is by far the cheapest, especially if you make a lot of calls to meteor numbers anyway... but they are pretty much the cheapest by a mile.

edit: yeah the webtexts are the business, i'd use about a hundred at least every month!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

I do alot ot texting alright and I'd say my calls would be fairly evenly distributed throughout the day, maybe a bit more off peak.

I'm thinking meteor alright, that anytime package looks pretty good.

The only thing is that not many of those I'd be calling would be with meteor yet.
    Even without their meteor to meteor discounts are they still the cheapest?

Yes, since Meteor don't batter you for calling other networks. They charge the same rates. On the other hand, O2 Speakeasy is 63c/min peak to call Vodafone or Meteor!

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote:
    Yes, since Meteor don't batter you for calling other networks. They charge the same rates. On the other hand, O2 Speakeasy is 63c/min peak to call Vodafone or Meteor!

Wow!! 63c/min, that's hard to stomach. Meteor it is so.

Edit:

Just saw this offer Meteor are doing if you signup with them before June 19th.

Also theres a free Sim offer , does anyone know if it's still going?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Yep, 5c calls Meteor to Meteor as long as you top up with 20e every month.
    And yeah the free sim cards have been available for ages. 10e with 10e call credit. Then if you top up by 20e/month, you get 10e a month extra free.

Ok so, went in and got the Sim in Xtravision there and im transferred over now.

One thing to watch is make sure you backup all your contacts on your exixting sim first cos apparently it doesn't work once the transfer is done, and also you'll loose all credit left on your current sim so use it up.

Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

im vodafone too and with all their special offers and stuff the work out the cheapest!!
    1. change to the more to say tariff theres a 30c min call charge but all calls to vodafone/landlines are 10c a min mon-fri all day and are only 3c a min at the weekend!
    2. purchase text add-ons 6c for 100 texts
    3. register 3 numbers as your friends for less and texts to them at all times are only 10c!!
    all this can be done from my vodafone on the website!!

Advertisement