Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triple clamp Forks

Options
  • 20-05-2005 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    A mate has just bought a Specialized Hardrock XC FS:
    05HardrockXC_Dream_l.jpg
    He has a Mozo R150 Triple Clamp front fork from an old bike, He wants to know if there would be any problem putting those forks on that frame? He was told by a guy in the shop he bought the bike from that any triple clamp fork will affect the frame and put pressure on it at the front triangle? is this true or was he talking ****e? He kinda bought the bike thinking he could just lash the forks on and it would be fine..... he does a bit of downhill and alot of commuting on it too, nothing too stressful, Do you think it would be alright?

Sean.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

I'd say hes taking a risk. The travel on the 3 clamp form is likely to be 130-180mm whereas the Rockhopper is an XC bike and is best suited to forks with 80-110mm travel. Does'nt sound much, but remember that the fork acts as a big level on the front of the frame and the forces can be huge, particularly doing downhill. You'd be putting serious DH forks on a modest XC bike.

You'll probably find that the warranty on the Spec. is voided if long travel forks are added.

Not saying it won't work, but I would'nt do it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Mmmmm, I told him but I think he is gonna try it and see what happens, The frame is a big 21" frame and the forks have max 120mm travel and he is gonna stiffen them while commuting...... Is the hardrock a poor bike? He would only ever do downhill once a month at the most.......... Its should be intresting to see what happens...... I cant really see the front snapping off..........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

frames do really have to be designed to accomodate the forks. I once crunched teh front end of a bike with a pair of Z2s on them - these forks will create even more torque. He's definitely invalidating his warranty anyway I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

It's not a bad bike but as you said it's a Specialized Hardrock XC FS. It's not a very wise bike to buy if he's into downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

It isn't a DH or jump frame, therefore it is built differently. It may look the same, or even have a similiar colour but the method in how its built and strengthened has far less to do with being bomb proof and more to do with being cheap. Putting a triple clamp fork on such a frame could easily lead to the frame failing, namely at the welds on the steerer tube (where the fork goes through the frame.) You say it'll be used as a DH frame, well the main danger with crashing and running triple clamps is when the bars try to whip around at high speed. Here you have the top of the forks slamming into the frame. If it doesn't snap the frame, it may bend, still just as dangerous.
    Finally a 21" frame? Is he mad? I'm over 6 and would never use anything above a 19" even on road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Sorry I didnt mention he is 6'7", 90% of the time this bike will be rode about 6 miles a day to and from work, about once a month he will bomb out to a forest in connemara and there is a fairly smallish trails there that we session.... max drops would be about 2-3 feet so I doubt it would starin the frame too much, but I think he is gonna sell the forks and buy an oversized single clamp pair. I showed him this thread and it scared the **** out of him........ If only I could stick them on my Giant Acid...... Id be sorted!!!

S.

Advertisement