Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Simon Davies to Everton

• 20-05-2005 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

For £4 million (subject persoanl terms being agreed)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4567817.stm

I'm sorry to see himgo, I thought he recovered well from his long absence from the Spurs team and with a full pre-season could have been an important part of our first team next season. I'll admit I didn't hold out much hope for him when he did return, but he proved me wrong.

Could be a very good signing for Everton.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Ah, £4mil?? Right mid, we're gettin Routledge out there, right? Maybe SWP might come over!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Cianan2 wrote:
    Ah, £4mil?? Right mid, we're gettin Routledge out there, right? Maybe SWP might come over!;)

Don't mind Routledge, but I'd like to see someone a bit more experienced and less "potential". I see we're being linked with Gera at the moment, thats an interesting prospect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Davies is a good buy I'd say. Thought he was a good player to watch. WBA have been talking tough about letting Gera go. Dont blame either as he was thier best player this season.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

no maybe a spurs fan would correct me on this but i rated davies as a very good player. i was suprised to hear this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

As was I, expected him to be a big player for Spurs for a fair few years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

He is a decent player and could be a great signing for everton.Moyes could work some magic on him and get him playing to his potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Doesnt Cahill play right mid :confused:

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

KdjaC wrote:
    Doesnt Cahill play right mid :confused:

kdjac

Yeah, but I think Davies fancies himself as a CM rather than a winger. He's never been particularly adept at beating his man (a prerequisite for playing on the wing methinks...), but with his range of passing he'll do well for Everton in CM.

He was never gonna get his place in the centre for Spurs with Carrick, Davis, Brown and Mendes all ahead of him in the pecking order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I'm happy to see davies coming to Eveton. The type of player that we need and its always good to have options... There will be a bit of competition for the 2 central midfield spots with Cahill, Arteta and Davies.

Intelligent signing by moyes getting a bit of cover and depth to the most important positions...

Hopefully the start of a few good signings for us this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Arteta

I thought his loan spell was 6 months only?

• Advertisement

Arteta

Looks like he's going to be made permanent in the next week or so...

Another good signing them.

Yeah sure is... He has filled gravesen's shoes nicely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

davies is an attacking right midfielder and was and, for spells this season, been fanastic at taking on his man.

he is to light weight to play in the centre i think. but i could be proved wrong

as for spurs..swp looks like a possibility with interest from top clubs not much. our midfield is now hopeless at best. i think we are sorted for the left but we need 2 cm and 2 rw.

my shopping list for us would be de ridder, routledge, swp and perhaps roy keane?!!

we need someone to drive us, carrick is not up to it at all. brown is good but only a squad player, we havent seem much of davis and mendes is adequate cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

I just amazed Totenham are letting a player go at all, i thought it was their secret plan to buy every player in the world. I'd be surprised to see SWP leave City for totenham tbh, but you never know, and now that WBA have stayed up, Gera will be more expensive if he's to be tempted away.

Bluekipper seem confident of us getting Parker as well, but nobody else is saying much, and i've heard he's just bought a house in Lahndon. When Spurs get wind i'm sure they'll be along!

http://www.bluekipper.com/fishy/in_05/in_summer05.htm#sp

Cahill = centremid btw, Osman or Bent play on the right flank usually.

sikes wrote:
    we need someone to drive us, carrick is not up to it at all. brown is good but only a squad player, we havent seem much of davis and mendes is adequate cover.

isn't Carrick back in the England setup for US tour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

theCzar wrote:
    isn't Carrick back in the England setup for US tour?

Who isnt :D

Cahill played mostly on right mid i though before and after gravesen left with Carsely and Arteta centre mids, but they did have aodd 451ish type thing going on.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Carrick is a great player, but not the type to drive a team. we do defo need that influential midfield player to drive everyone on. I cant think of anyone who would fill that role that would be a possibility to Spurs, tho. Rosicky, actually!

going by this seasons league places, city to spurs is a step down isnt it? My money is on arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

To be honest, this isn't the kind of signing I expected Everton to make. I would have expected them to go for a player with a significant amount of European experience that would see them through the vastly increased number of matches they will have to play next season. To me, Davies looks like an over-priced, under-performing, injury-prone player. Maybe he'll prove me wrong, but I think Everton could have picked up far better from overseas for a fraction of the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh, I expected Everton to explore abroad, even maybe Kluivert or somebody would be good.
    I think they need some 'stars' in the team, p.s. maybe even buy back Graveson!!!

I like that SWP interest isn't coming from the top clubs, cause they know they can spend half the price on a foreign player. Maybe this will in turn bring down the price of English players

I doubt if graveson will be back, and i doubt we'ed buy him TBH, We're buying Arteta for 2.8mil.

Moyes has been after Davies for ages, i'm not at all surprised by this move, also, it's not Moyes style to buy players who haven't proven themselves in the premier, Cahill is the biggest gamble he's taken i think.

He doesn't want to a player who wants to play in Champions league, he wants a player who wants to play for Everton first. His stated objective is to get Everton qualifying for europe regularly, not go on a european cup run. In Moyes We Trust.

Besides, the likes of Kilbane and Carsley are dripping international experiance!

Cahill plays in centre with Arteta now, Graveson previously. Carsley plays in front of back four in a 4-1-4-1 formation. Cahill runs himself into the ground though, so you see him everywhere.

quote from moyes sums it up
    "We picked up Tim Cahill from Millwall in the Championship and he has been a tremendous acquisition. We are still looking in that division, but you find that the good ones are all being priced at £4million, and you don't take a punt on a player for that sort of money. For that money you want someone who has been there and done it. We paid £1.5m for Tim, and everybody would look at that as an acceptable risk. Paying £4million for Championship players is not the market we would be going into."

Advertisement