Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alloys - 15" or 16"

Options
  • 20-05-2005 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I have a mark IV 98 golf 1.9 TDi and im looking to put a set of alloys on it.

Anyway Ive always heard that 15" alloys are the way to go because they retain good grip, and they are more economical etc. I would love to put a set of 16"s on the car as that one inch makes a hell of a difference looks wise!

So i was just wondering would there really be much difference between a 15" and 16" one? Also the way the pirce of diesel is going these days if there is a noticble difference i will have to think about it, my insurance is high enough without this yoke starting to drinking diesel on me.

thanks for any input
    J.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

use http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html to work out what size wheels you need to keep the same overall rolling diameter, that way it won't affect the accuracy of your speedo or fuel comsumption and should leave you with no problems with wheels rubbing on arches etc. you could put 16's with lower profile tyres on.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you are going for 16" alloys make sure you get low profile tyres so that the hight of the car doesn't change. Otherwise you will upset the ride and handling of the car. This would also effect your mpg and may cause the tyres to rub against the arches.

Going from 15" to 16" is not a big step and as long as it is proberly done then it is ok. Just remember that the calibration on your speedo may be out by a fraction meaning that you may not be travelling at the exact kph the speedo tells you. This should be minimal though.

I had 16" alloys on my car as standard but opted for 17" instead as they filled the arches better. The dealer fitted them with the recommended tyre size/width from the manufacturer. But with Irish roads the way they are I should have stuck with the 16" ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

I got 16 inch alloys recently there, and I've noticed quite a difference from the normal wheels that my car had. The ride feels better (to me), you can really feel the drive and you can feel the road more shaply somehow (if it's really bumpy, you'll know about it).

I'd say fuel consumption is up a little, and the tyres are a little more expensive to buy. But they look much better and the inch is really a mile in terms of looks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Yeah did it to a Seat Leon, was on 15's put on 16's, just change the profile. Mine went from 195/65/15 to 205/55/16. Looks great and handles better to boot. Fuel haven't seen a difference really, so go for it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Remember that VWs are 5 stud wheels, I've seen people complaining that the wheels they bought don't fit because they bought 4 stud

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

just one thing with lower profile tyres
    i would not go below a xxx/50/xx because of the state of the roads in Ireland,
    you'll just end up damaging your new wheels!! :mad:

Squirrel wrote:
    Remember that VWs are 5 stud wheels, I've seen people complaining that the wheels they bought don't fit because they bought 4 stud

I wouldn't dream of buying alloys without first seeing them on the car or at least up next the car. Hence I wouldn't buy them online though some websites have a little software tool where you can see the wheels on your car to see how they look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

mik_da_man wrote:
    just one thing with lower profile tyres
    i would not go below a xxx/50/xx because of the state of the roads in Ireland,
    you'll just end up damaging your new wheels!! :mad:

You do know that number is a percentage of the width of the tyre so can't apply to every tyre size.

Have you considered 17" wheels at all? They would fill the arches on a mk4 golf alot better. Out of 15" or 16" I say go with the 16" wheel, the 15" would look very small.

Delta_ie wrote:
    You do know that number is a percentage of the width of the tyre so can't apply to every tyre size.

Have you considered 17" wheels at all? They would fill the arches on a mk4 golf alot better. Out of 15" or 16" I say go with the 16" wheel, the 15" would look very small.

I have 17" and given the choice again I would definately go for the 16" instead. 17" rims are not designed for Irish roads unless most of your driving is done on motorways. Mine have had a few close encounters with potholes and so far have been lucky but they do make the car look nicer though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

thanks for all the input guys!
    I think ill go for the 16"s.

cheers

• Advertisement

Post pics when you get them, do you have a particular set in mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

bazz26 wrote:
    I have 17" and given the choice again I would definately go for the 16" instead. 17" rims are not designed for Irish roads unless most of your driving is done on motorways. Mine have had a few close encounters with potholes and so far have been lucky but they do make the car look nicer though. :)

You do have a point about roads but it depends what the roads are like were you live.

If you live in an area with good roads you could also think about 18" wheels which look very nice on the mk4 when it is lowered but would have alot less tyre wall and tyres would be more expensive.
    It all depends on what level of road vibrations etc you can live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

thanks will do, was always going for low profile tyres anyway, what else?!
    quality of tyres affects consumption? wouldnt have known that. re-moulds out the window then to try and save a few quid :p

might be a bit cliche but was planning on getting a set of the mille miliga evo 5's. nothing ground breaking but i think they should look nice on the golf. pic below.

Very nice, another wheel to consider is the 6 twin spoked wheel off the GTi

Also get a set of locking wheel nuts so that the scum don't try and rob them on you.

Advertisement