Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Leaving Cert Supervision

• 21-05-2005 1:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I will be doing leaving cert supervision during the sixth years tests... just a few questions..

What exactly does it involve.. is it jus tsitting there, marking who goes to the toilet and who ever need more paper giving them it?

Also, whats the pay like?

Thanks...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

You're not involved in giving out paper, that's the superintendent's job.

As far as I know you just sit outside the door and accompany people to the toilet, make sure they're not doing any bould cheating, and bring the superintendent in their tea/coffee and bikkies once in a while. Pay is pretty ****, minimum wage probably. Such exploitation!

But it's piss easy and you just sit there reading or listening to music for the rest of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

yes.. score walking ppl to the toilet.. yeah.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

I did it when i was in fourth and fifth year, and Vainglory is right in the tasks department. If its a big enough center e.g. a gym, they'll have 2 supervisors and 2 attendants then it can be a laugh. Pay wise its minimum wage, tax free, i think i got 350 quid for doing the leaving. In fourth year there were 3 centers in the one coridor so there were three of us, one of the lads had a portable tv and watchin the world cup matches was a laugh. Just make sure you bring something to relieve the bordom, like a gameboy or summet, it can get very, very boring, looks great on a CV though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Hey you have to be a little teachers pet to do that.
    I thought shrimp was a man of the world, not some teachers dogsbody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Shrimp wrote:
    Hey,

I will be doing leaving cert supervision during the sixth years tests... just a few questions..

What exactly does it involve.. is it jus tsitting there, marking who goes to the toilet and who ever need more paper giving them it?

Also, whats the pay like?

Thanks...

You sit outside the exam centre and accompany people to the toilet. Oh, and you bring the superintendent people tea/coffee and biscuits. If you're nice. And sometimes you have to go and tell kids who've already left the centre to shut up, 'cause people are still in there doing their exam. And, the first couple of days at least, you'll probably have to mind a lot of mobile phones.

Pay depends on how many days you do - if you're in a school with several centres, they'll probably only keep a couple open for the last week or so of the exams. You'll probably end up with Eur200 at the least, anyway, which is fairly good for sitting there reading/listening to music/whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Oakbark

Ok this is what you have to do:

You get a jug of water and a glass on a tray, leave it in for them in the morning. Halfway through exam in the morning they get tea and biscuits, on a tray. Halfway through second exam of the day the same. (Added bonus you get your own cup of tea and nick loads of biscuits.). You wash everything up afterwards, and next day you do it all over again. All you have to do is that + toilet walks with full-bladdered students. Have fun earning money for jam.

ok, seems to be clear what I'll be doing.. nothing to hard..the only thing hard there will be me, isn't that right FuzzyLogic. ;)

Yeah, I'll bring up music, mags / books, portable TV, although daytime tv is rubbish..

portable tv, me arsé!
    You could print out some math theorms and formulé and arrange to help people cheat, when they take a leak! make loadsa €€€!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭inflight

I got terrible pay, way less than minimum last year. And the tea and biscuits weren't great either! I nearly died of boredom even with ipod and books. So we did resort to cards and the like, forced friendship all the way when you're bored beyond belief. But we didn't have to wash anything! Portable tv's a great idea, Home and Away, Oprah and Ally McBeal may be a sad way to spend an afternoon but hey entertainment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

Make sure you look like you are paying attention if an Inspector visits.

You are unlikely to have anything dramatic to do, but in the event of a student in the exam hall being taken ill, you have to go get a porter or the Principal, as the Superintendent cannot leave the room. It's a poorly paid, boring job, but if something goes wrong, it can be a responsible position to be in.

Think of the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

In my school they always bring in PS2's or Xboxes to pass the time. From my junior cert memory it involved them playing videogames and giving the supers tea & biccies after a while

I might try and do it this summer, it would be a nice little earner

I dont think i could bring in ps2's or xbox's.. oh i got an idea.. I'll bring in a laptop.. oh right..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I know it's boring but it's great to get paid to do nothing. Only annoying thing was having to search the school for cd players for the day the aurals were on. I was lucky though, I got quite a bit of money when I did it cause I got the last LC room to stay open and we had an external candidate in the room. He was doing lots of subjects they don't do in my school so he was te only one in ther and he got sick on about day 3 of the LC so he pulled out but the rule is you still have to go and open the exam centre as if he was coming, stay for 30 mins then lock up and I got paid for the full time :D

Oh and if your supervisor is nice they'll give you a tip at the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Camogie Playa

i did that last year for the leaving, was the most easiest job ever!sit around playing cards with others, magazines, mp3 players, endless supply of coffee and biscuits. Think i got €320 plus a nice tip for my troubles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i was thinking how could you stop a male from cheating in biology if he can't remember the diagram for the male reproductive system, you're hardly going to be in the toilet with him and say "sorry you're not allowed look at your lad as you take a piss".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Camogie Playa

Aaawwh too far too far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Aaawwh too far too far!
    it's true though after our mocks my bio teacher got annoyed as people attempted that question but couldn't draw it for their lives. he told us to do that if we were stuck

haha.. nice cremo.. never hear many ppl calling it ur lad.. i do .. sometimes.. think its a hilarious title.. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

TBH if your an attendent let them cheat while going to jax, well in my skool 5th and 6th yr get along grand, cheat fest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

TBH if your an attendent let them cheat while going to jax, well in my skool 5th and 6th yr get along grand, cheat fest.

I think we know what you can do re the above suggestion.

• Advertisement

i know them, I dont think they will cheat, there are only 17 or so of them.. and like 11 5th years ;)

richboy. theres about 150 6th years in my year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

i'm doing it this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

awww lookie here!! shrimp's all grown up and is now actually sitting the big bad leaving cert :D

haha.. i prefer shrimpy..... hmm..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

My accompanying to toliet guy is HOT
    Oh yeah you accompany me to the toilet any day baby ;)
    I'll be drinking lots of water tomorow during Irish :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Looks brilliant on the CV, but tis boring as hell. One afternoon i came back from lunch soaking wet and took off my shoes rolled up my jeans and skipped around the corridors to warm up and keep myself entretained. i was in a big exam centre though so usually there were people to talk to. i pulled so many sets of geography notes out of the cistern, ugh gross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I did it, thought it was a fantastic job. Just sat there reading David Gemmell all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭helles belles

i remember last year when i was doing the exams i knew all of the supervisors! it would have been so easy to cheat! I DIDNT though.
    and that is why im REPEATING!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

so the lesson is: don't be stupid
    and not cheat

Advertisement