Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"pings of 150 should be OK" according to IBB rep.

• 21-05-2005 1:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭

I have been getting bad pings for 6 days now, and bad download speeds. I rang twice and got the run around by their tech support. I have been with IBB 6 months and have had about 3 months where my speeds were 256k up and down. Im still paying the 48 yoyo for this service all this time. I have posted in the IBB provlems post here thread no joy. I think this is a plan on their part for damage limitation. Have all the complaints on one thread so they get less attention. On one call to them after telling the guy I was getting kicked off servers for continuious pings over 150 he told me " I think these servers have to high standerds, a ping of 150 should be well acceptable "
    ping.jpg
    Well not when all the eircom lads are getting 30-50 in my clan. The reason Im so anoyed is last time I had this problem i waited 2 months to get it sorted. Those pings are from tonight(Friday) at about 10pm. How long till this gets sorted. I was suposed to play a clan match tonight and I had to pull out. Why am I paying 48 yoyo when the Eircom/Smart lads are paying 35.

Im looking foward to my call on monday when they give more crap and tell me my connection is fine. ALso I keep getting told someone else is looking in to it rather than the person in talking on the phone.

I would advise any one else having problems to start their own thread so as not to hide the real amount of IBB users having problems, rather than having it going into just one thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

150ms is damn near unplayable. I'd ****ing raise hell If I were you.

Just cancel as soon as you can and get Eircom/Smart/NTL. I mean its less bandwidth (for some of them) but at least its stable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I have been getting bad pings for 6 days now, and bad download speeds. I rang twice and got the run around by their tech support. I have been with IBB 6 months and have had about 3 months where my speeds were 256k up and down. Im still paying the 48 yoyo for this service all this time. I have posted in the IBB provlems post here thread no joy. I think this is a plan on their part for damage limitation. Have all the complaints on one thread so they get less attention. On one call to them after telling the guy I was getting kicked off servers for continuious pings over 150 he told me " I think these servers have to high standerds, a ping of 150 should be well acceptable "
    ping.jpg
    Well not when all the eircom lads are getting 30-50 in my clan. The reason Im so anoyed is last time I had this problem i waited 2 months to get it sorted. Those pings are from tonight(Friday) at about 10pm. How long till this gets sorted. I was suposed to play a clan match tonight and I had to pull out. Why am I paying 48 yoyo when the Eircom/Smart lads are paying 35.

Im looking foward to my call on monday when they give more crap and tell me my connection is fine. ALso I keep getting told someone else is looking in to it rather than the person in talking on the phone.

I would advise any one else having problems to start their own thread so as not to hide the real amount of IBB users having problems, rather than having it going into just one thread.

Are you seriuos ? I used to get 150 on Dial up with Eircon !! I think this is unaceptable !

Are they seriuos?

I would ask for a team leader when I call next as the tech support guy must be new with acomment like that !! If he does not help then I think you need to look into a new ISP !

BTW COD "HEadquaters" good COD S&D "BAD"

D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

yeah, straightaway ask for a team leader.
    Then once you get them, ask for a manager/their supervisor if he doesn't seem to be helping you. Explain that in their advertising, they included online gaming as a "pull" factor of broadband. This, in your opinion amounts to false advertising. As does their advertised speed, which you can't even get a fraction of, when downloading. Say that you are considering ringing the gerry ryan show, to complain. And as your sister/girlfriend is one of the show producers, you will have no problem getting on.

This will cause them (hopefully) to do everything they can to sort out your problem.

Also, get everyones name that you talk to. write them down, with a brief line or two about what they say to you. They will probably contradict each other.
    On another note, the mods just integrate all the IBB threads, to keep the place free of clutter!

And drapper is right, S&D and headquarters is crap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

To be fair to them my download speeds improve since I rang them. Im getting 80-100K but thats less than half I suposed to get on a 2 meg line.
    Notice the pings of all the lads with -<{1st-IB}>- before their name. Most of those lads are on eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Anima wrote:
    150ms is damn near unplayable. I'd ****ing raise hell If I were you.

Just cancel as soon as you can and get Eircom/Smart/NTL. I mean its less bandwidth (for some of them) but at least its stable.

It's not unplayable...my mighty Dial-Up (damn eircom won't fix my ISDN) and me have kicked many a BB ass with pings of 200+.

Anyway, I was just wondering something here. Excuse my ignorance if it seems so, but with all these Eircon and Esat BB users being kicked in the nuts with their various unacceptable speeds and whatnot, would it not make some sense to get as many people as will do it, march up to Eircons or Esats HQ (or even ComReg or something like that) and demand them to cop the hell on?
    Maybe someone's already tried that (Ireland Offline, maybe. I haven't read much into it to be honest), I'm not sure, but it would seem like that's the only way anyone's going to get anything done around here.

It's either that or just buy out Eircon and fire the lot of them, then set it back up as like...Eirjoy or something.

• Advertisement

well people power is always hard to get going. Ive just had a night of getting kicked from out Battlefeild Vietnam server for high pings what next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭[AK47][JONNYNEW

I was without my best player for the last 2 match'snow,
    I.B.B should get there finger out.

1st-IB are recrueing Battlefeild Vietnam players.
    Visit www.1st-ib.net to join up.

BFV server 217.158.176.40:15567

well people power is always hard to get going. Ive just had a night of getting kicked from out Battlefeild Vietnam server for high pings what next?

Pings still not sorted?

IBB should be ashamed of themselves.........I dont know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I used to get 150 on Dial up with Eircon

What? Last Time I tried Dial Up I got pings from 700-850.

Using BB I get pings of 170 on most busy servers, and can play perfectly....

Who said 150 is near unplayable? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Say that you are considering ringing the gerry ryan show, to complain.
    Gerry:'OK, next we have FuzzyLogic who's only getting 150ms pings on IBB'.

As if.

Mentioning names like 'Gerry Ryan', 'Joe Duffy' etc will only get you as far as being called a knob while you're put on mute.

It is what it's.

• Advertisement

This is what pings of over 150 get you
    bfvping.jpg

So how can I play like that then?
    During the game I get about 3-4 warnings that my ping has exceded 150 then that message. I used to get pings on 180 back in the day when we were all playing Quake2 on 56k. It wasent a problem in those days cause every one was in the same boat. There is a big difference between 180 and 25, for those that dident learn to count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

What? Last Time I tried Dial Up I got pings from 700-850.

Using BB I get pings of 170 on most busy servers, and can play perfectly....

Who said 150 is near unplayable? :rolleyes:

Dialup should get you 150ms-200ms, I played on 180ms for years and hated it. Now I ping 20ms and it's alot nicer :) .

150 might be playable in cs but in faster games such as quakeworld or quake3, it's pretty much unplayable. Afair, you're an IBB user too MobileInfantry? Maybe this is a countrywide problem.

Beside pings of 150 is what was getting me kicked but it was not uncommon for it to drift over 200. I had pings of 250 at one stage. To be fair what ever IBB did after my second call my pings went from 180 - 250 and now are in the 100 -170 range. Still not good enough. Before last sunday I was pinging at 30 all the time then all of a sudden 200+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I was on IOL in Dublin and found their pings to be pretty good, in the 30 - 60 range, so it could be something to do with contention at your exchange. My parents and friends in the country are on Eircom or UTV Internet and get pings in the 60-90 range, but if you're in Blanchardstown that shouldn't be the issue.

I'm in Blanchardstown myself now, but I'm on Irish Broadband, and get pings of 20-40 :p
    If you're unhappy with IBB, tell them you're unhappy with the quality of their service, that it wasn't as advertised (ie. faster than dialup) and ask to be disconnected, in the form of an angry letter, and sign up with IBB.

[EDIT]Fecking misread that - thought you were on IOL not IBB. I find the IBB Breeze 1mb to be extremely good, I've hosted servers and everything no problem.[/EDIT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I'm in Blanchardstown myself now, but I'm on Irish Broadband, and get pings of 20-40 :p

and yet spookey is getting 150 plus ? what gives.

And I wasnt even home last night arguing for my share of the b/w.
    It has gotten to the stage we cant play online games together. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

It's probably the relay station itself maybe?

I think you could be right there I ran a trace route and my pings are 50-60 just to the mast in Ballycoolin and Im suposed to be on the Atrium as i can see that from my window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Ah - I don't think I'm on the Ballycoolin mast - I'm in Warrenstown, just East of Mulhuddart village, and my mast faces south (Ballycoolin is to the North-East of my house) towards Blanchardstown village. See my really badly drawn attached map.

If you're pinging 50-60 to the mast though it means that the routing to Ballycoolin must also be screwed though, because theres no way that the total trip time should be 150, even if the ping to your mast is 50-60....

What service are you on, Breeze or Ripwave? Have you considered that your equipment might also be fecked?

Ah - I don't think I'm on the Ballycoolin mast - I'm in Warrenstown, just East of Mulhuddart village, and my mast faces south (Ballycoolin is to the North-East of my house) towards Blanchardstown village. See my really badly drawn attached map.

If you're pinging 50-60 to the mast though it means that the routing to Ballycoolin must also be screwed though, because theres no way that the total trip time should be 150, even if the ping to your mast is 50-60....

What service are you on, Breeze or Ripwave? Have you considered that your equipment might also be fecked?

Spooky is getting 60ms just to the mast (I get 9ms !) !! think they may have moved him over to the Ballycoolin mast ! Mad as he can see Atrium from his front door !! Ballycoolin cant been seen I dont think !

Anyone else on ATrium been switched?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

umm considering they use direction antenna's they would have to come out to switch ye...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

oneweb wrote:
    Gerry:'OK, next we have FuzzyLogic who's only getting 150ms pings on IBB'.

As if.

Mentioning names like 'Gerry Ryan', 'Joe Duffy' etc will only get you as far as being called a knob while you're put on mute.

No more like
    gerry: next we have peter, who pays €60 per month, yes thats right, €720 EVERY year to Irish broadband, but they dont provide the service they advertise.

I know a manager in a large tech support firm, and she says it's company policy to do everything they can to satisfy any customer who says something like this.

Darth Bobo wrote:
    umm considering they use direction antenna's they would have to come out to switch ye...

I agree with yah !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Your first hop should only take at most 10ms. Routing through IBB themselves is usually quite fast, adding only about 4ms to irish servers. If pings to the first hop are bad, its either interference or an overloaded server/router. in other words, its not ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

If the nodes are almost lined up with eachother (ie <7 degrees), then they wouldn't have to come out, and the bad alignment may be why you get such bad pings. However I'm guessing that they arent, and as such indeed they would have to come out to re-align your directional antenna.

OK i ran a trace route programe and here are the results.
    traveroute.GIF
    It seems my problems is right to the IBB mast in ballycoolin. My ariel is pointing to the atrium about 500 meters from my house. Why am I comming off Ballycoolin. Or is the atrium called ballycoolin as far as their router is concerned. Has any one else on the atrium ran a trace route?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

Oh Dear God thats a horrible trace route. If they advertise only gaming as being one of the activities it supports, then that is a complete disgrace and should be dealt with seriously, Firstly, your trace route should be pretty flat low and with NO timeouts like you appear to ge getting every few seconds,

OK i ran a trace route programe and here are the results.
    traveroute.GIF
    It seems my problems is right to the IBB mast in ballycoolin. My ariel is pointing to the atrium about 500 meters from my house. Why am I comming off Ballycoolin. Or is the atrium called ballycoolin as far as their router is concerned. Has any one else on the atrium ran a trace route?

WTF ....................... i've seen more flatlines on ER last night !

thats a disgrace ! not a good advertisement for IBB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

Can anyone tell me when/where they have seen/heard Irishbroadband advertise their service as being able to play online games. Advertising standards have asked for the info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

First.
    http://www.irishbroadband.ie/htmdocs/bb_at_home/for_me.htm

They say it has excellent quality service, which our poster above clearly hasnt.

Secondly
    http://www.irishbroadband.ie/pdf/home_guide_pricing.pdf

They list online gaming as a suitable use of their home product.

Third,
    Nowhere do they say that you are not guaranteed the top speed, nor do they hint that the speed can vary widely.

• Advertisement

JNive wrote:
    First.
    http://www.irishbroadband.ie/htmdocs/bb_at_home/for_me.htm

Third,
    Nowhere do they say that you are not guaranteed the top speed, nor do they hint that the speed can vary widely.

This is true no ISP guarantees constant steady pings. Even on the best of them where you are gatting 20-40 onece every 20 mins half an hour you might get the odd spike over 100. No car manufactured gaurantees yer car wonk break down after you drive it out of the show room, but if it does the fix it very quick. Tech support keep trying to tell me that they dont guarantee my pings and the comment that 150 should be ok is them trying to make me thing that every thing is fine with my connection and I should get off the phone and not bother them at all. Thats what they want.

Advertisement