Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"pings of 150 should be OK" according to IBB rep.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well as it turned out it was only fixed for one night not sure why. But its still bad. My download speeds are good uploads are bad. My first hop to the hi site is 60. So the problem it on the roof of my house. Ive asked to have some one out and they havent sent any one yet. Im almost a month no like this. After my last call I threatned to cancel my direct debit, then i got a ticket number, wow perhaps only my most recent call out of about 10 calls has even been listened to. Some thing tells me Im just gona have to cancel my direct debit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

Have u been dropped to 1meg from 2 spooky?

Just checking as cudnt quite tell from the above post. I have had the same over the last week off 3 rock and not quite sure why...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

I'm still on the 1Meg (although paying for the 2 because I used to be on the 512/8-1 connection). My pings are absolutely sh!te and getting a 20% packet loss to anything further that my gateway on the SIAC building. It's been like this for weeks (with the occasional hour or so being OK). I was told these problems won't get sorted until the add more masts "in a couple of weeks". It's a 'problem' with the backhaul (according to IBB "support". I reckon the 'problem' is they have over-subscribed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    No more like
    gerry: next we have peter, who pays €60 per month, yes thats right, €720 EVERY year to Irish broadband, but they dont provide the service they advertise.

I know a manager in a large tech support firm, and she says it's company policy to do everything they can to satisfy any customer who says something like this.

But they DON'T advertise ping time ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

they have advertised in a form that it is suitable for online gaming, which implies good ping quality and stability.

• Advertisement

rsynnott wrote:
    But they DON'T advertise ping time ;)
    They did when I got the original 512K product

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

said rep should be sacked :rolleyes:

always ask peoples names and which office they are in (eircom especially for the 2nd part of else you get some smarta** on the other line saying *yeh but we have loads of marys*..

get name, office location and they take you ALOT more seriously on the phone.

gsand wrote:
    Have u been dropped to 1meg from 2 spooky?

Just checking as cudnt quite tell from the above post. I have had the same over the last week off 3 rock and not quite sure why...

Im on the 2 meg connection but i rearly see any thing like 2 meg in the downloads. Ive just had a half an hour of getting pings of 160-200 while my mate on IBB on the same hi site was hitting 20. Ive been telling them that my ariel has prpblems and they wont send any one out. Think im making it up. They will see when I cancel my DD they they might take notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Give them an ultimatum come out or take the service off the house !!

NOW

ask them to get the two aftersale techie guys out and you'll meet them !

they sorted mine out !

I tried that i`ll try it again this morning. Looking at tha date i started this thread Ive realised that my connection has been pants for over 6 weeks now. Thats how IBB opperate ive decided. You have a problem ok go on the long finger for 2 months before we look at it! Has this been the case for any one else?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

Has this been the case for any one else?

Yes it has. I've been waiting for almost 2 months to get my connection sorted, but still nothing. I'm now waiting to be put onto a different high site, which I don't think even exists yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I dont get this thread?

What game has 170 ping as unacceptable?

I sometimes get pings of 80ish on certain servers, but most I'm about 130-170. And this is not a problem at all. Plays fine for.

And people saying you get pings of 180 on dial up? I dont think so....must have been fantastic dial up you were using.

I used dial up lately, with 2 other people - one from England, one from Cork, and I live in Galway - all 3 of us had pings about 500+

If dial up gave me pings of 150 as someone suggested, I'd have no reason for BB. And I dont play old games like counter strike, I recently play Soldier of Fortune 2, LoS Vietnam, Battlefield Vietnam and others. All with an average ping of abnout 150 and working perfectly fine unless the server is absolutely jammed (32+ players on sof2 or nam)

/And I have also played CoD quite frequently on this ping with no problems whatsoever either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

I used to play COD on dial up. Ping about 180. Never more than 220. You can play some games but you get turfed a lot for high ping. Basically your playing your own game if you have a high ping. The other players see you as static and can't shoot you or you suddenly move forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I dont get this thread?

I sometimes get pings of 80ish on certain servers, but most I'm about 130-170. And this is not a problem at all. Plays fine for.

And people saying you get pings of 180 on dial up? I dont think so....must have been fantastic dial up you were using.

I used dial up lately, with 2 other people - one from England, one from Cork, and I live in Galway - all 3 of us had pings about 500+

If dial up gave me pings of 150 as someone suggested, I'd have no reason for BB. And I dont play old games like counter strike, I recently play Soldier of Fortune 2, LoS Vietnam, Battlefield Vietnam and others. All with an average ping of abnout 150 and working perfectly fine unless the server is absolutely jammed (32+ players on sof2 or nam)

/And I have also played CoD quite frequently on this ping with no problems whatsoever either

Hi MobileInfantry,

You are not the first person I come across on boards.ie who claims "170ms ping is acceptable for online gaming". I think people who claim this only play Free For All for about 1 hour a week only to have some fun and pass the time.

I don't really think you understand that other people play at a much higher level. They are part of a clan. They compete in ClanBase or other tournaments/leagues...

I myself, play CoD in a clan (aKa) in France. We got to the quarter-finals in the French Cup and are currently 3rd in the French League. Basically, CoD is no longer a game to us but more like a sport for which rigorous training is required.
    Now if you were in my clan (even though we don't recruit anybody with a ping higher than 80ms...), you would find out extremelly rapidly why 170ms ping is unacceptable.
    If the players you are up against have a ping of around 30-40ms and good skill, you have pretty much no chance if your ping is above 100ms MAX (and I'm being nice here, even above 80ms you'd struggle big time).

At the level we play at, pings above 50ms with even as low as 1-2% packet loss IS unacceptable. The speed and strenght of your connection plays a massive part when playing online games "for real".

Right now my IBB connection (2Mb - 8:1 contention ratio) is all over the shop and my pings are up and down like a wh*re's knickers. Packet loss is between 5 and 25% making it impossible to play seriously. Yeah sure I can go play on FFA servers for a while and still finish first... But there's no way I'm playing against a properly organised team with such a crap connection!

And this has been going on for 2 months, meaning I haven't played in a competitive match for 2 months...

So please telling "real" gamers pings around 170ms (or 200-300ms I heard even!) are ok to play online because you manage to frag 4 people on an FFA server... Thank you ;)

I dont get this thread?

Battlefeild Vitenam says pings that high are unnacceptable. It recomends that servers are set with a kick level of 100 but our server is running at 150. If you constantaly ping over that for for 5 mins you get kicked. I used to play Q2 on dial up back in 97-98 and got pings of 180-200 that was fine in those days when every one was in the same boat. Now im often over 200 when other lads are at 30. 200 is 2 thenths of a second, think how much distance a jet air plane travels in that time. Now how in BFV am i to shoot down a plane if its no longer in the place it was when i press fire?

It is evident some people do not see the importance of having a good ping when playing online games... :o

Steffano - Of course I realise the importance of low ping consistancy when playing as part of a clan.

I am, despite your comments that suggested I was a noob that plays infrequently, in an SoF2 clan that competes in tournaments. I have also been in other clans in other games. My ping, while sometimes not the greatest, works fine - I can still play in any rented server without lag and compete successfully in tournaments or even minor scrims without any hassle whatsoever.
    I used to play Q2 on dial up back in 97-98 and got pings of 180-200 that was fine in those days when every one was in the same boat.

Yes, back then that was the norm. But there are people here saying you still get those pings on 56k - not true. A game is totally unplayable on 56k for the most part now - and you get pings alot higher then 150. I got pings like that years ago playing CS and UT on 56k
    I think people who claim this only play Free For All for about 1 hour a week only to have some fun and pass the time

As for this point, I am part of a clan and play every night without fail for 2 or 3 hours. So a minimum of 14 hours a week, if normally alot more. A far cry from your claim of 1 hour me thinks.

:cool:

Well if you are indeed part of a clan and playing clan wars like myself, your ping should be driving you mad. It would drive me mad anyway...

When I was with Esat BT 512k, my ping was around 70-80ms and I switched to IBB just to improve on this! It cost double what Esat BT cost but it was worth it as my ping dropped to 40-50ms (only last 4 months but anyway).

It still remains beyond me though how you manage to be competitive with such high pings... Fair play to you for that

Steffano - Of course I realise the importance of low ping consistancy when playing as part of a clan.

Yes, back then that was the norm. But there are people here saying you still get those pings on 56k - not true. A game is totally unplayable on 56k for the most part now - and you get pings alot higher then 150. I got pings like that years ago playing CS and UT on 56k

:cool:

Well getting back on to the topic pings of 150 are not accepeable in my book!

go on spooky rock thier cage ¬¬ you know me I would not wait as long as you!

dont take it on a ping issue say you've packet loss around 50% and that the issue in your opinion is the radio ! ASk them your SNR level, signal to the mast below 14 is not acceptable to and your cancelling your DD to-day if you dont have a call out date! SPeak to a CS tema leader !

• Advertisement

No they are not. I agree 100% with you. I hope you get it fixed soon... My ping's crap for the past 2 months...

Did you cancel Direct Debit yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

Well if you are indeed part of a clan and playing clan wars like myself, your ping should be driving you mad. It would drive me mad anyway...

When I was with Esat BT 512k, my ping was around 70-80ms and I switched to IBB just to improve on this! It cost double what Esat BT cost but it was worth it as my ping dropped to 40-50ms (only last 4 months but anyway).

It still remains beyond me though how you manage to be competitive with such high pings... Fair play to you for that

I'm surprised people are only talking about ping variation for gaming. I have good relatively consistent pings but suffer from packet loss (sometimes 3% based on the dos ping command).
    In peoples opinion, what is the maximum packet loss modern games can cope with before you get dropped?

No they are not. I agree 100% with you. I hope you get it fixed soon... My ping's crap for the past 2 months...

Did you cancel Direct Debit yet?

Not yet i gave them a week. They have had 6 already. This is my second time to have bad service in 7 months and the last time tool over 3 mohtns to fix so im not standing for it any more they have a week from today! I made call 6 today and now they want me to email them ping times and trace routes as well as showing them this thread. Well I will continue to jump through hoops for another week for them so.

You're definitely a patient man! Fingers crossed anyway...

Indeed. Well another day goes by and nothing happens. I might ring them again this morning. But then I shouldent have to ring them every day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

ive started sending them an email every single day about my issue just to test their response...

14 emails now and no reply...

Lads they dont respond to emails we have gathered that !

fisab wrote:
    I'm surprised people are only talking about ping variation for gaming. I have good relatively consistent pings but suffer from packet loss (sometimes 3% based on the dos ping command).
    In peoples opinion, what is the maximum packet loss modern games can cope with before you get dropped?

Hi fisab,

I put packet loss and latency variation in the same basket really. AFAIC, ping should be below 50ms for modern games (CoD in my case). It should not vary by more than +5/-5ms and there should be no packet loss at all (although that's practically impossible so I'll accept up to 0.3%).

Used to have that with IBB for the first 4 months. I haven't been able to play CoD for the past 2 months (3 soon!)... :( :mad:

Playing Sof2, clan war last night. Ping suddenly spiked to about 400 for no reason, I had nothing else running.

Game was still playable, but whenever more then a few people in the same area at once it went to crap. :(

Only went back down to the usual 150 after about an hour, and I had quit the war by then as I was causing us to loose a few flags.

BTW - Whats the best and cheapest overall package for gaming, anyone recommend?

• Advertisement

Well i got to play some BFV the almost 5 mins tonight with out getting kicked. A litttle better im ringing them again tomorrow to remind them Im canceling my DD on monday unless I hear some thing definite.

Advertisement