Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"pings of 150 should be OK" according to IBB rep.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

I've no sympathy for anyone trying to game on wireless. Problems inherant to that technology alone should be enough to turn people away from this as a solution to gaming. Even if they didn't know how badly managed the IBB network is. Suppose if its the only thing available in your area I'd feel your pain.

Slightly off topic but you'd think you could leave something downloading overnight on IBB when no ones on might and have some snowballs chance, but forget about it :mad: Sooner BT gimme a modem the happier I'll be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

pugleon wrote:
    I've no sympathy for anyone trying to game on wireless. Problems inherant to that technology alone should be enough to turn people away from this as a solution to gaming. Even if they didn't know how badly managed the IBB network is. Suppose if its the only thing available in your area I'd feel your pain.

Slightly off topic but you'd think you could leave something downloading overnight on IBB when no ones on might and have some snowballs chance, but forget about it :mad: Sooner BT gimme a modem the happier I'll be!

thats just complete cac.

Before IBB, did something horrible with their network, I could game with pings that matched cable.
    Also you guys should lower your mtu for gaming, say to 1000 , but I wouldnt push it lower than 800.
    You should be able to find a good compromise, untill IBB sort out their stuff, we should be getting 50 pings avg , with the odd spike not in excess of 100.
    I can remember getting constant pings to various web sites of 10 - 20 ms with IBB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

there pings can be great. Ive away for a week so I wont be doing much complining about them be nice to think it will be fixed by the time I get back but then thats just dreaming on my part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

pugleon wrote:
    I've no sympathy for anyone trying to game on wireless. Problems inherant to that technology alone should be enough to turn people away from this as a solution to gaming.

Slightly over zealous statment of the month goes to.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Slightly over zealous statment of the month goes to.....
    Sorry if this is slightly off topic but with your signature it looks like you're giving the award to yourself! :p

• Advertisement

Is it still bad for all you lads. Im outa town and getting great pings on my brothers Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭todd10k

YES. it is bad, has always been bad, and will continue to remain bad till irish BB take that 12 inch dildo out of their collective asses and actually upgrade their god damned network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Minors read this board, so can everyone please watch their language.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭cranoo

nadir wrote:

Also you guys should lower your mtu for gaming, say to 1000 , but I wouldnt push it lower than 800.

How do you lower MTU ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

cranoo wrote:
    How do you lower MTU ?

regedit...

if only someone would come up with a way to search the internet....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

ntlbell wrote:
    regedit...

if only someone would come up with a way to search the internet....

dont be so smart ! people come to boards for real help ! sarcasm is the lowest form of wit man !

Drapper wrote:
    dont be so smart ! people come to boards for real help ! sarcasm is the lowest form of wit man !

It's not any sort of wit, it's just sarcasm; the two are mutually exclusive.

But feel free to throw out some more overly used cliche's.

You can't get any better help than being shown how to help yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

MTU :) is a bit technical but here is what it does.

http://alive.znep.com/~marcs/mtu/

1500 I should think is the figure, but hark, are those firewalls blocking ICMP and could those who have no probs confirm they allow ICMP while thgose who have no probs do Not ?

If the MTU were all ballsed up you could be sending too many packets but not enough data <cough>

More tech

http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_IPDatagramSizeMaximumTransmissionUnitMTUFragmentat.htm

and even more tech

http://www.linktionary.com/f/fragmentation.html

and finally the magic answers that NTL Bell would not give :)

http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=157

First see if allowing ICMP both directions thru your firewall has any effect (or if you allow it already and have no probs)

Chill dude..

Drapper wrote:
    he came to boards.ie for help not to be directed to a search engine! pretty good technically minded persons here !

obviously your not one

searching on google brings up the exact links that were posted earlier.

how is doing a search for someone else posting the links being anymore technical or helpfull than pointing him to where he could find all the answers?

is pointing a browser to boards.ie generating more slop on an all ready over strained server, wasting more bandwith that has to be paid for by boards, waiting for someone else to reply hoping they know what they're talking about easier than a google search?

Drapper wrote:
    yes, thats why Boards exists!

To help people to lazy to help themselves?

Nice concept.

Drapper wrote:
    Its called teaching my bellended friend.

So what was the lesson learned today?

When you're too lazy to research a topic yourself, there's always someone on boards who will google for you and spoon feed you results.

Progress.

I guess building the fastest search engine in the world wasn't such a good idea after all was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Drapper banned for a week for personal insults.

<edit>He's apologised and said he won't do it again, so the ban is lifted as of now.</edit>

Just to add a slightly positive note to this saga. Ive noticed a slight improvement in pings over the last 2 nights. not as bad as 150 - 250 range. More like 60 - 140 range. My download speeds improved also. I was getting 120K at best and this morning i noticed a 220k download rate for the first time in ages, even though it was at 6am so It douls have just been the time of day. My uploads seemed limited to 120k though at that time. Im wondering if this is the start of IBB getting their act together, hope so and that im not just wishfully thinking. Any one else started to notice any improvments. Its not what it should be pings of 60 still should be pings oc 25-30 but it seems to be moging the right direction. Only time will tell.

seems to be better for all in D15 alright !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Apparently they put up a new mast and have another one on the way. maybe thats the reason?

sweet, hopefully this will resolve alot of issues..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

:D
    Drapper wrote:
    seems to be better for all in D15 alright !
    :D

tell us another one , that was funny as fook :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

still ****e in the city centre

Clover wrote:
    :D:D

tell us another one , that was funny as fook :D

thought I'd cheer yis all up *rubs his new ntl modem* god my roof looks great since the IBB areil has gone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Drapper dont be so nasty remember I know where you live.

Thaed wrote:
    Drapper dont be so nasty remember I know where you live.

sorry :-)

Drapper wrote:
    thought I'd cheer yis all up *rubs his new ntl modem* god my roof looks great since the IBB areil has gone!

damn you to nt hell Drapper ( lucky bastage).

btw where in D15 are you ? i'm in huntstown and rang ntl last week and it's not available here yet :(

I'm in Carpenterstown m8! service is ok but more reliable than IBB

• Advertisement

Drapper wrote:
    I'm in Carpenterstown m8! service is ok but more reliable than IBB

ahh ok , the ntl service is just ok ?

Advertisement