Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

"cannot delete xx there has been a sharing violation"

• 21-05-2005 11:13am
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Quick problem, I have some .exe's on the computer, not there not viruses I got them from genuine sites, they're relativilty small, some of the are 0bytes(canceled downloads)
    when i try to delete them I am getting cannot dleete there has been a file sharing error.
    I've checked the reg keys and they don't seem to be loading. tried safe mode still can't delete them, any ideas what they could be shared?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

What are the files?

And is the program you downloaded them in ala torrent still running while you try delete them?

kdjac

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

one of them was a torrent file a mate was downloadin an i stoped it cause it was a .exe
    the torrent file ain't seem to be running, i even tryied to redownload the torrent and let it ccompleatly download the torrent, but am getting rejected, it seems it tried to save the torrent file, but you know that the download didn't actualy start to download.
    the other ones are things I have downloaded from genuine sites(bootdisk files etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

You could try deleting them from a command prompt. Had a similar issue with files that would not delete until i tried that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

already tried that, command promp says its in use aswell
    put in a bootdisk to try do it from there, but couldjn't seem to access any drives cept floppy drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

I think Process Explorer lets you see what process is using a particular file. You can kill the process then delete the file.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

You will just need to press Ctrl + F to search for the filename.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Restart in safe mode - should close most apps that might have the file locked open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,522 ✭✭✭irishgeo

wholockedme and it tells what process/program has locked it.

http://www.dr-hoiby.com/WhoLockMe/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭smorton

i got that program to try it out, then tried to delete it. i cant because its locked but another program :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,522 ✭✭✭irishgeo

smorton wrote:
    i got that program to try it out, then tried to delete it. i cant because its locked but another program :D
    Flmao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Kill Box (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/killbox.php) will probably be able to delete it but you'd have to wonder why it can't be deleted in the first place. Have you tried running chkdsk on the drive to see if there are any issues?

• Advertisement
Advertisement